Is it me?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
spydutch

Is it me?

Post by spydutch »

After just coming back to this forum I noticed that it's not nearly as active as when I left in 2009.
Heck, back then I could hardly turn my back to the computer or there was already a page of new threads/comments.
And now I see threads on page one with last comment 2 days ago.
Just curious...
yablanowitz

Re: Is it me?

Post by yablanowitz »

You aren't imagining it. The forum isn't as active as it used to be. I'm not certain why, althugh it seems to me that a lot of the old hands have moved on.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

this forum has really slowed down and getting worse.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

Well, two of the previously-prolific members, Dr. Snubnose and The Deacon, took sabbaticals, but just started posting again. I really liked reading posts by Dr. Snubnose, in particular, as we favor some of the same knives and guns, and share some beliefs about self-defense.

I do not count myself as a frequent poster here, but just returned after a long break, myself, during which I was mostly visiting photography forums. With a finite amount of time to spend on-line, I had to prioritize.

Another personal reason I have not visited much is because I am mostly using the same Spyderco knives I bought about a decade, or more, ago: various Rescue models, Ronin, Gunting, and Civilian, so I have had little need to visit Spyderco General Discussion. I bought several, each, of the Gunting and Ronin, knowing that collaborations generally have a limited run. I do, still, buy Spydercos, mostly as gifts, or to replace Rescues that have been misplaced or otherwise dispersed.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, I am going to get hung for saying this, but perhaps one reason is that a lot of the offerings from Spyderco at present cause a collective yawn from the community (not all, to be sure). People may just not be excited enough to talk about them. But, there are some exciting things on the horizon so I expect this trend will turn around.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

To be honest, most of what I saw in the Amsterdam Meet thread ranged from "yawn" to "Boo, hiss" on my personal interest meter, so I don't hold out much hope for things improving soon. Too many features that other people want leave me cold.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I think another reason that things seem to be slow might be due to it being summer (i.e. nicer weather = more projects, events, vacations, etc.) I know I've personally spent a little less time online simply because I'm trying to enjoy all the nice, sunny weather. (And besides, I'm trying to work on my sunburn--er, I mean tan ;)).
bh49

Post by bh49 »

yablanowitz wrote:To be honest, most of what I saw in the Amsterdam Meet thread ranged from "yawn" to "Boo, hiss" on my personal interest meter, so I don't hold out much hope for things improving soon. Too many features that other people want leave me cold.
I hate to admit this, but have to agree with Jack.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

You're not the only one who has noticed it, Arend. I know why I drifted away, but can't speak for anyone else, although I'm fairly certain there is no single cause.

Time of year could be a factor. Folks get busy in the summertime, especially after a hard winter.

The direction the lineup has taken over the past few years could be part of it. I know I'm one of the "odd men out" here as far as my taste in knives goes, but it's been years since there was anything "in the pipeline" that I've been truly excited about, and precious little that has piqued my interest at all. I'm not sure which I find more depressing, the idea that the only Spyderco I'm looking forward to seeing released right now is wrong handed, serrated, and has a black blade or the fact that its release seems to keep getting pushed back. :eek:

I wonder if all the competing media could be part of it as well. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube videos, and a Spyderco presence on a number of forums, may be given folks less reason to come here. Especially if there are "personality conflicts" that can be avoided by getting their Spyderco fix elsewhere. I know that the availability of a Spyderco Forum on BladeForums made the decision to take a break from this place a lot easier for me.

I'm strictly a desktop PC user myself, but I know that lots of folks these days use tablets or smart phones as their primary, or only, internet access and I wonder if this forum, or forums in general, don't render well on those devices. Scrolling through a 10,000 word "wall of text" post can be a chore on a 25" monitor running in portrait mode. Can't imagine doing it on a screen the size of a post card.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

bh49 wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:To be honest, most of what I saw in the Amsterdam Meet thread ranged from "yawn" to "Boo, hiss" on my personal interest meter, so I don't hold out much hope for things improving soon. Too many features that other people want leave me cold.
I hate to admit this, but have to agree with Jack.
Me too unfortunately. The great company we all appreciate so much just keeps disappointing me lately in many regards.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm in the situation where I'm very content with what I own, and there just isn't much coming out that excites me. Spyderco are their worst enemy, because they've made products that satisfy and perform so well that unless you're a collector and buy new models just because you like them, you end up without anything new to be excited over. I sure didn't get 10k posts through random comments, it was from learning about new products, sharpening, etc. Once I've learned all that, I have less to talk about unless it's sharing my experience to others who are just learning for themselves.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

I'd say one reason why things have slowed down is that the "subscriptions" feature is now unreliable. Honestly, I can't see new posts to older topics I've posted in. Been that way since the forum re-design. Makes me want to come here less often.
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

Still around!

But I haven't been frequenting.

For me, I've found the blades that work for me at work. I have more than enough of them. Plainedge, Spyderedge... multiple versions of each. I've been here a loooooooooooooooooooooong time.

That said, off duty I've been carrying a Swiss Army Knife ALL the time for quite a while now.

I have found that, outside my special needs at work, I use the various small tools far more than I NEED the single strong blade.

So my interest in following the latest and greatest large-ish folders has diminished accordingly.

I still love the company, and talk it and Sal up at every opportunity. I recognize some of the posters here, and it's good to see them. :)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Seems to me the drop off became more noticeable when the forum seemed to go through a higher level of bickering and squabbling between some of the members, it was something I had yet to see in my relative short time here. It was very disheartening to see. Things do seem to have calmed down though which personally I'm glad to see. The feeling of comradery and good will towards each other is what attracted me to this forum in the first place. We need to make newcomers feel welcome here and make them want to be part of the group here, not afraid to join in.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've noticed it seems like a change in atmosphere and the overall enthusiasm is truly not what it once was. The crowd I got to know well when I first joined up (2004) till about 09 or to some extent to 2010 were more lively with a better attitude and personallties just seemed to flow well. But it's like Spydutch says there just seems to be a damper in spirit compared to what it used to be.

I've kind of wondered why many of the guys and girls that used to be here just dropped off? It is interesting that a few of the original crowd like Spydutch and ARchimedes ( who went by Worker#9 back then) and now Doc Snubnose has returned and that's encouraging and brings life to the party so to speak.

Now there are great relatively new members like Evil D, Surfingringo, Blerv, demoncase and a few others I can mention which are great contributors very similar like the crowd of the old era. But overall there just seems to be a lot less enthusiasm than there used to be. It's just a lot harder to get a good interactive thread going anymore too.
harronek

Post by harronek »

I'm a new guy here , and I have no idea what it was like in the old days .
Since joining up recently I've learnt heaps of good info and read through countless hours of good humoured helpful threads .
I particularly enjoy some of the threads where people start discussions about their dream - wish list and talk turns into a theoretical design of what Spyderco should build .
My interests are aimed at the more user , working knife end of the spectrum , also I live in Australia and our silly laws here mean much of Spyderco's range aren't available to me . All of that combines to make my interests and participation here a bit limited .
I know Sal posts here which is greatly appreciated by me and I'm sure everyone else as well , that alone makes this place quite unique .
The end result is I really like the place .
Thanks for having me .

Ken
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I too have noticed that it seems the traffic has slowed down a bit. I'm not a terribly prolific poster though, I joined in 2009 and it took me this long to get the number of posts I have. I haven't bought a new Spyderco in what seems like months, though I have several browser tabs open to some models at KnifeWorks that I may order soon.

I used to check the forum nearly every single day, now sometimes only once or twice a week (except when the Amsterdam meet is going on :) ). I only have so much time to browse, and since I recently got interested in shooting again, some of my time has gone to researching on gun forums :).

As others have mentioned, there are several "newer" posters who have very valuable input and whose posts I enjoy (SurfinGringo, demoncase and others) in addition to the "old gang". I just don't always have anything to add to a thread, so may lurk more than post. There's usually a flurry of activity whenever a new Mule or other sprint model is released and folks get their hands on them.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Thanks for the explanation you all.
Now I know it wasn't me :D
Came back here because I got a litle bored now and then with the American Traditionals alone.
Since I cannot join you in buying the latest models I won't have anythin spectacular to share, but it's nice to lurk around a bit and maybe comment on the older and serrated models when they come up.

My Spyder carry at the moment is my folliage green Ladybug3/SE most of the time changed around with my Original Kiwi jigged bone or SS Cricket/SE. Combined with my SAK of choice I'm "knifed" enough. :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spydutch wrote:Thanks for the explanation you all.
Now I know it wasn't me :D
Came back here because I got a litle bored now and then with the American Traditionals alone.
Since I cannot join you in buying the latest models I won't have anythin spectacular to share, but it's nice to lurk around a bit and maybe comment on the older and serrated models when they come up.

My Spyder carry at the moment is my folliage green Ladybug3/SE most of the time changed around with my Original Kiwi jigged bone or SS Cricket/SE. Combined with my SAK of choice I'm "knifed" enough. :D
Just remember SPYDUTCH my good friend you are an offical ambassador of the Spyderedge :cool: So don't ignore, neglect or pass up on any thread that speaks of Spyderedged/serrated blades>> and that's an order!!!! SIR!! :D

You and I dude have a job to do and that is not to let Spyderco's Spyderedges fall in popularity and to be made available in more models>> Remember the "Squeaky Wheel" get's oiled and people that want teeth on their favorite blades have to get them the same way :rolleyes: Great to have you back in Spyderville my good friend :cool:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have been posting a lot less lately. I have just been busy myself.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?