Is it me?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tvenuto

Re: Is it me?

Post by tvenuto »

I haven't been around long as some, but I do notice a bit of a shift in both the quantity and quality of activity here. I think there are a few factors:

1- I think we're pretty spoiled with options. With all the different collaborations, exclusives, steels, locks, clip styles, and handle materials that they've come out with, I feel like factions are collecting around particular niches. I think this is particularly true of steels, where you see a lot of comments like "as long as it's not VG-10" or "I wish this were S110V" and so on (a lot of which is just parroted opinion of which steel is popular). Again, back in the day this wouldn't have been such a divisive discussion point, since the production feasibility of different steels was more limited.

2- I think a lot of things have "been done" at this point. Spyderco has already done a flipper, so a new flipper doesn't generate as much buzz. So, the new features are somewhat more subtle, such as the differential anodizing on the Vrango, or more outlandish, such as the blade shape of the Tighe stick. People are either too underwhelmed to have an opinion or polarized into disliking the extreme.

3- I think that Spyderco pushing the boundaries of what a production knife can be is pricing some people out. There are several Spyderco designs that are too expensive for my taste, but personally see it as a good thing. I love Hondas but I don't drive the top of the line Accura, I drive an Accord. However, my accord has features that were only on top of the line Accuras a few years ago, and that quality has trickled down to the mid-level Hondas. I see very high quality and commensurately prices Spydercos as a good thing, but not everyone agrees.

4- I think Spyderco shows us a lot, thus making us wait. Maybe this isn't different than before, but I think we see a lot of stuff in advance and thus a lot of posts are fruitless requests for more info or release dates that don't exist.

No matter what, it's up to us to make this place what we want it to be. There are some really great contributions happening at the moment by some, and I'm brainstorming ways to contribute more myself. Obviously, there will be other members that rub us the wrong way, but hopefully that doesn't poison our attitude to all the great things that are going on here.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ay Spydutch!...Well.... I'm one of the older timers and a recently Born again Forum Member. That said I think what Spydutch is talking about, and I see it also, is that the energy level is different in the forum then it was in the past. Not saying it's bad, just recognizably different. So personally I think it's not the fault of Spyderco Inc. or the lack luster line-up product line, (not seeing that) and or the higher price tag attached to these knives. These all can be excuses for why people lose interest as well as a hundred different other kinds of reasons. Everything changes...nothing stays the same....I was very glad to be an active member of this forum for many years....times were different and time spent on the forum was special to so many people. Again I don't mean to sound condescending in anyway or want you to think that I'm saying yesteryear was better than today, cause I'm not....but maybe if the newer members had a sense for how it was on the forum...thing might be a little different now....SO HOW WAS IT: (how did I get myself into this LOL)........Maybe some of the old timers can help fill in some of the things I will no doubt forget to mention....SO HOW WAS IT: First and foremost IT WAS FANTASTIC!...Back in the day there was a pretty large group (Not talking 10 people) from all over the world on the forum who had Spyderco in their interests. We would literally spend hours upon hours, posting, reading, sharing, researching. Not like we'd make a post and go to lunch....we would sit there and wait for a response....and It came....many used the forum as like a chat room to have conversations....We were all like minded and we liked and cared about each other and were involved in each other lives even outside of the forum as well. We policed the forum ourselves (really no need for a mod back then) If you had the wrong attitude, trying to make trouble or posted inappropriate things...we were right there to tell you so...and we made you feel uncomfortable enough by exposing your pathology to everyone (mostly in a Kind and Constructive manner) that you either changed and became a stellar forum member or you moved on to one of those Nasty Knife Forums......We had lively interaction on the forum with Sal, Kristie,Ed and MJ.....and I'm not talking about single sentence posts either but posts of substance, and lively engagement of thoughts and ideas....The best part about all of it was....These people actually listened, talked and picked brains and had their own brains picked as well, and the results we saw.... new designs, innovative models and improvements that we all had a little something to do with....we weren't just End Line Users...we felt like we were on the front lines..Front Line Users....and it was a special feeling...There is so much more to this that I'm leaving out as I have just begun to scratch the surface of what SpyDutch and a few others here know. Those who can stroll down memory lane, look back and remember how it was.....
It's all about the energy.....Help me out guys tell the newbies a few more reasons why we loved Spyderco, Each Other, and The Forum......Doc:)
Last edited by Dr. Snubnose on Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Integrity... :)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:Integrity... :)
Exactly.....Doc:)
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

You hit the nail right on the head Doc ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc really laid it all on the table very nicely and I couldn't have said it any better myself. I've even noticed some clique-ish behavior in some sectors of the forum in the past 2 to 3 years which was never there in the old days. I think I even see why a lot of the old members moved on. But I'm also seeing this subtle change to some extent even over at Bladeforums too. Instead of people wanting to make friends with like-minded people it's almost hostile and down right rude in some instances. Doc is also right about the fact that we hardly even had any monitor come in like you frequently see anymore>>we truly did police ourselves and In-House trolls were quickly shown the door. Spyderco is truly a quality minded conpany which I find very precious in this day and age of the "RIP-MART", discount on the brain mentality which unfortunately seems to be the direction this entire country is going in :( and for that reason Spyderco really seems to care about quality and satisfied customers. I've personally converted several friends and now my boss is becoming a bonafide Spyderhead in the past 2 years. Quality people can see the difference in this company. But I can't put my finger on what has deflated the enthusiasm that the Spyderco Forum did indeed used to have. I'm so glad that Doc and Spydutch and Archimedes all came back as well as a couple of other mainliners. We do have some good new members too but the entire landscape is different for some reason but I too am confused as to why? But I'm not at all giving up hope that this won't turn around because I believe it will eventually. Because quality products attract quality minded people and that alone gives us a lot in common. But I do know why Spydutch noticed this because it's a lot harder to get a good conversation going about a topic>> it's a lot harder than it used to be>> I haven't even been able to chat with anyone about the GOLDENSTONE at all and that wouldn't have happened in the old days. Even with the little bit of slump we're going through it's still the best knife forum on the entire internet in my opinion and I believe things will eventually get back to normal>> and I hope it's sooner rather than later.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I am a re-tread, a former active member from 06-09 until some serious health issues took me offline for a couple of years of hospital stays and other aggravations. Losing a computer, an email account and all my passwords to several forums forced me to re-register myself under my new moniker.

When I first came here we had not only Sal, Kristi, Joyce and all the other fantastic Spyderco family crew.....We had a brain-trust of subject matter experts,
Knife designers, knife makers, material experts, Martial artists of all types (gun guys, knife guys, empty hand guys, stick fighters, etc,etc...), knife "use" experts (folks who didn't just carry and play with knives but USED THEM....HARD, breaking down thousands of boxes, cutting drywall, wood, plastic, composites, meat cutters) Giving invaluable real world usage data on steels, blade design abilities, ergonomics, strength, lock durability....etc, etc....

AND, we had the collectors who reminded us of not only the value of the tool itself but reminded us to look at the beauty and uniqueness of the design. Keeping everything in perspective for us Neanderthals. ;)

Chad Los Banos
Doc Snubnose (Darn glad to see you back Sir.)
Deacon (Glad to see you back also Sir, even though we are polar opposites in taste...Your perspective on things is much appreciated by many of us.)
Doctor Hannibal Lecter
KaliGMan
JD Spydo (everybody has that one weird Uncle in the family)
FireFighter21
Simona
Wooter
Spydutch
Yablonawitz (whose name I butcher every time I try typing it.)
Michael Janich
Bram Frank
Cliff Stamp

The list goes on and on....some greats of the knife world and some just "Joe Sixpack" who appreciates and uses/collects a high quality tool.

We have lost a goodly number of very knowledgeable forum members, but we have gained several new members with solid knowledge and a willingness to share...A great thing.

We will always have trolls....it's the internet, they cannot be avoided. But as Doc Snub pointed out above...they can be throttled, then they can either become good members of the community or they can fade off into oblivion.

This is STILL the best, most warm and welcoming knife forum anywhere on the 'net. Period.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Lmao...."Uncle JD"....
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'll second the sentiments of the Old Guard gents Doc Snubnose, JD, and OldHoosier 62. The Forum was a different place back then.

Although my current registered date here shows September 2004, I actually registered here first sometime in December of 2001, if memory serves correct. I joined here because I was facinated with Spyderco's knives and I wanted to learn more about their products. What I found on the Forum was a lot of other like-minded folks who were as smitten with Spyderco knives as I was.

A lot has changed since those early days. As Doc mentioned, there was a strong feeling of togetherness and community. Folks back then also looked out for each other and cared about what was happening in each others' lives. Sure, it wasn't all cake and candy all the time. I recall more than a few rants, verbal exchanges, etc. Things got ugly between a few folks once in a while. But at the end of the day, we were here to talk about our Spydies and we wouldn't let a little rain and thunder ruin our joy.

One thing I'll always appreciate is how patient many of the older members were when I first joined and asked a lot of moronic questions. ;) Folks were very kind to me, which is likely why I've stuck around for as long as I have. (Folks like Samosaurous, Kahz, Clay Kesting, Carlos, Sword & Shield, Blades, JSmith, Jaxon, and many, many more).

As Troy mentioned, this place is what we make it. If we allow negativity and pessimism, growth will be stifled. If we encourage caring and interest in what the other person has to say (even when we may disagree), we will likely see growth and unity. It's all up to us.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Cripes...I have been worried about Paul and figured I'd try here and this popped up. Thanks for remembering me OldHoosier62 ;)

Not sure when I will be back here as I am going through a **** of a time with some changes in my life. It has been an extremely difficult few years...

FWIW, will try to get back here when I can. I have missed the "old" as well as some new friends I made here...I really have missed this place very, very much.

AREND you take care...good to see you guys again. Now if you'll excuse me, I saw a lead to my "Uncle Paul"...

Be safe all!
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Always good to see you around Chad.

Hope and good vibes for a bit less "hectic and difficult" in your life Sir. Take care.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ay Chad....Nice to see you!!!...Doc:)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I'm glad to see all you old timers suddenly popping up! Lets whip this place back into shape. Whether the "glory days" you guys speak of are real or imagined I'm always up for trying to make things better. I'm no chief but I try to be a good Indian. Y'all lead us in a good direction and I'll happily follow along! :)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

OldHoosier62 wrote:Always good to see you around Chad.

Hope and good vibes for a bit less "hectic and difficult" in your life Sir. Take care.
Mahalo for the good words sir!!! You take care as well! :cool:
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Ay Chad....Nice to see you!!!...Doc:)
:eek: Ay Sifu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is VERY nice to see you too!!! We gotta catch up.
Be safe!
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Surfingringo wrote:I'm glad to see all you old timers suddenly popping up! Lets whip this place back into shape. Whether the "glory days" you guys speak of are real or imagined I'm always up for trying to make things better. I'm no chief but I try to be a good Indian. Y'all lead us in a good direction and I'll happily follow along! :)
Aloha Surfingringo,

Not sure if I ever welcomed you here, but welcome anyway! :p Be advised...the "glory days" we refer to were definitely REAL. Not to be rude or anything as I do not know the current feel of this forum NOW, but during the, "glory days", there was a family feeling that just could not be beat. It was an amazing time...
Have a great evening and be safe!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Sup Arend? I agree. I think the current forum software pretty much sucks. VBulletin is the best forum software made. Everything else is just "OK" but mostly sucks. I now frequent Bladeforums more often than here purely due to how much I hate this forum software.

Chad, dang good to see you too brother. I hope you and yours are still doing well. God Bless.

Dang, good to see you too Jan! I miss all the old guys. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

David Lowry wrote:Sup Arend? I agree. I think the current forum software pretty much sucks. VBulletin is the best forum software made. Everything else is just "OK" but mostly sucks. I now frequent Bladeforums more often than here purely due to how much I hate this forum software.

Chad, dang good to see you too brother. I hope you and yours are still doing well. God Bless.

Dang, good to see you too Jan! I miss all the old guys. :)
Ahhhh David "the Dragonfly" Lowry! So let me get this straight Knifebro...the forum software sucks...is that what you're saying? :p Kidding...

Good to see you and no...situations I am going through, well, they suck! Thanks though, and God bless you and yours! :cool:
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

I just noticed it now David...*ahem*..."the old guys"?!? LOL!!!
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Hiya Chad!
Long time no speak or hear...