Finding a specific GEC

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MadMaximus

Finding a specific GEC

Post by MadMaximus »

For those of you that are traditional fans, I have a question for you...

Being as I am a submariner I was working on a museum boat here in my home state, and my beloved GEC #71 Bullnose (with beautiful OD green micarta) inadvertently found itself being sacrificed to Davey Jones. There in lies the question: Does anyone have a clue where I could score another one? I can't find them anywhere and that was my favorite slip joint traditional (and probably overall slip joint...sorry, blasphemy I know). Thanks for any help you might provide!
Top Five : :bug-red-white : PM2 Maxamet, Native 5 LW SPY27, Para 3 20CV, Military Cruwear, PM1 D2
jmh58

Re: Finding a specific GEC

Post by jmh58 »

I just scored one in orange and know where there are a black, orange but no green.. Rumor of another run some time this yr.. John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

jmh58 wrote:I just scored one in orange and know where there are a black, orange but no green.. Rumor of another run some time this yr.. John :)
I hope they do another run! Where did you find it in black/orange?
Top Five : :bug-red-white : PM2 Maxamet, Native 5 LW SPY27, Para 3 20CV, Military Cruwear, PM1 D2
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

PM sent.. John

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sent PM. Found red, maroon, black, and knife brite.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Mad Maximus, one of the best thing about the original Bull nose was the O-1 steel. So easy to put a frightening edge on it the way they ran it. Unfortunately the new batch is 1095 steel. Not really bad as I like their line of knives in 1095, and they do it well but that O-1 was a special treat not often seen in folders.

Sorry to hear you lost yours. The Ocean obviously knows a good knife when it sees one. :)

Joe
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help in my "time of need," i have managed to track down a couple with the help of John (jmh58), and another from a friend on Bladeforums...So now I have 3 inbound. One in natural micarta, one in black delrin, and one in knifebrite (I think thats what they call it); all with O1 tool steel! I'll post pics when I have them all, should be Friday or so. Hopefully those will last me for a while. :cool:

Thanks again,

Max
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Good work. They should last a long time. O-1 steel in the GEC models is one I enjoy sitting down and sharpening. I just like that steel and seeing it in folders is a treat.

Joe
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

So here they are, the three I managed to wrangle up with some help. Its great to have one in my pocket again everyday, they're all crazy sharp. Included is the Bull Buster as well. 1095 is pretty good but the O-1 is on a whole different level.

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Looking Good!! Glad I could help!! NICE!! John

The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Very nice. I had mine out sharpening a week or so ago. I suppose I just put sharper edges on my non stainless knives but some seem to be sharper than others and O-1, like W2 and 52100 are steels that just seem to take scary edges. Whenever I can get one of these steels in a folder I grab it because they are becoming more rare even in customs as time goes on. As time goes on though these designs get less useful to me because they are harder for me to open and close as I get more ham handed and arthritic. Clumsy and breathtakingly sharp are a bad mixture. More and more I rely on the Endura because of this. One reason I was really glad they made a version in Super Blue. Enjoy them while you can. :)

Joe
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

Hey guys! I'm bringing this one back to life! I need some help locating a GEC #92 Talon with Green Micarta covers and/or a Case Swayback Jack with CV steel and the chestnut covers. I figured since you all did such a great job helping me out last time, might as well ask some guys in the know. If you know someone that wants to get rid of one I'm their guy! I've been on other forums like crazy and can't seem to find either of them. Thanks in advance for the help.

Oh and here's my obligatory pic of the natural #71 in the goose blind with me yesterday, sorry for the poor quality.