Favorite Tactical Knife

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Donut

Re: Favorite Tactical Knife

Post by Donut »

I like the PPT, it's a little heavy, but is nice.

dPX stuff could probably also be considered tactical, but I like the ideas behind them and the function.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

My favorite tactical knife? Why, it would be the one I have clipped in my pocket. ;)

In all seriousness, though, I would say my favorite "tactical design" of all time would be the original Starmate in CPM-440V with the 60/40 combo edge. Besides the Millie, it is the best all-around tactical design in the history of tactical knives. Bar none. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
paladin

Post by paladin »

Ignaz wrote: Beware, the last time I claimed this in a "gun thread" here people went ballistic...
nice wordplay there :)

this question has popped up (at least) a dozen times during my tenure here on the boards and it was one of the elder members that gave the best option for a tactical blade....

The Grasshopper

Rationale, you ask?

When you "whip it out" the target may have a laughing fit buying you precious time for a head start when you start running... :p

And MOST IMPORTANTLY when the perp finally runs you down & disarms you, a Grasshopper will hurt less when you get poked by your own weapon... ;)

I wish I could remember which brother offered that sage advice a year or two back cause it still makes me laugh...was it Yabs, Doc, maybe Roman? Help me out here... :confused:

Wish I could take full credit for that wisdom :cool:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

If I felt that, were I to be attacked, not only would I be unable to escape, but once caught, having a defensive weapon would actually play against me, I would most certainly not leave the house. At least, not until the appropriate number of basement training montages had prepared me for the outside world. I assume no less than three montages would suffice.

The notion that having a defensive weapon is a disadvantage is deeply puzzling. The implication is by the same logic you'd prefer an armed attacker to an unarmed one since he is in effect supplying you with a weapon. And to bring it full circle: this means you actually should carry a knife so that you can toss it to you attacker at the outset, thus encumbering him with the disadvantage and allowing you to disarm him.
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

tvenuto wrote:If I felt that, were I to be attacked, not only would I be unable to escape, but once caught, having a defensive weapon would actually play against me, I would most certainly not leave the house. At least, not until the appropriate number of basement training montages had prepared me for the outside world. I assume no less than three montages would suffice.

The notion that having a defensive weapon is a disadvantage is deeply puzzling. The implication is by the same logic you'd prefer an armed attacker to an unarmed one since he is in effect supplying you with a weapon. And to bring it full circle: this means you actually should carry a knife so that you can toss it to you attacker at the outset, thus encumbering him with the disadvantage and allowing you to disarm him.
I, too, am puzzled by the notion that having a knife is going to work against me in a defensive situation. Of course, I am going to have a knife or two with me anyway, anywhere is is legally possible, for utility and emergency tasks, so being knife-less is not an option, and I had better be prepared to be thusly "disadvantaged." I make no claim to being an accomplished student of blade fighting, but have studied and trained enough to be rather difficult to disarm.

My preferred choice for a defensive weapon, or weapons, is firearms, which allow the opportunity to keep an opponent from making contact, and which I can legally carry in far more USA jurisdictions than a serious-sized blade, anyway. My contact weapon training has mostly been with sticks/batons, through my employer, and as balance issues and a bad knee will likely be primary reasons for my retirement, I will "graduate" from police baton to walking sticks and canes, which are legal almost everywhere. A blade would be a "weapon of opportunity" for me.

Having a "favorite tactical knife," however, remains valid, whether or not one actually prioritizes blades as personal weapons, or is legally or practically able to carry a serious-sized fighting knife.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

tvenuto wrote:If I felt that, were I to be attacked, not only would I be unable to escape, but once caught, having a defensive weapon would actually play against me, I would most certainly not leave the house. At least, not until the appropriate number of basement training montages had prepared me for the outside world. I assume no less than three montages would suffice.

Hahahaha....I like it! I suppose you would just have to hope he was not smart enough to give it back to you to tilt things in his favor! ;)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Surfingringo wrote:

Hahahaha....I like it! I suppose you would just have to hope he was not smart enough to give it back to you to tilt things in his favor! ;)
LOL....Doc:)
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I think my next one will be a Micro Tech So com Delta