Collecting Zippo lighters

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Lord vader

Collecting Zippo lighters

Post by Lord vader »

Hi guys and gals, I have recently expanded my interests in collecting to include Zippo Lighters, anyone else do the same thing? If so please share your photos of your Zippo or Zippo collections. Here is one that I am particularly proud of, U.S.S. George H.W. Bush CVN 77. Well I tried to post the picture, I couldn't cause it says the files is too large, as soon as I can find a way I will post it.
chuckd

Re: Collecting Zippo lighters

Post by chuckd »

I am a bit of a Zipp guy myself (though I don't smoke except for a cigar every few months) and have about 6 I think. I don't look for unique or old ones, just ones that I like and think are cool.

There is just something about the sound of opening and closing a Zippo that is fantastic.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I have considered getting into it. I do like nice lighters.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Zippo Saga....When I was 17 years old at 11pm each night I was responsible for walking 4 dogs we were raising (Maltese).Little bitty dogs...lol.... All total 16 lbs for the lot was a lot....Well...it was fifth of July and I found while walking the dogs in the moonlight a half lite but dud firecracker on the ground. In my infinite wisdom I take out my zippo...click....and light this thing to only then realize the fuse was really like only 1/4 of a fuze (wick), upon that realization I quickly through the hand grenade to my front...unfortunately under two little dogs that were lifting their legs on the curb....needless to say there was pandemonium.....but nobody hurt.....That said, every subsequent night thereafter I would walk the dogs....Gather their leashes in one hand....so I could light my cigarette....Out comes Mr. Zippo....Click!!!!!! Guess what 16 lbs moving at 6 zillion miles an hour in different directions freaking does to your hand, wrist, shoulders and back......Had to switch to a Bic....but for many years I had a collection of Zippo's 38 of them to be exact....many freebies from different companies as promotionals throughout the years....but I sold most of them on ebay for good money.....So have fun collecting....Doc:)
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Free lighters from promotionals? Care to elaborate?
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

enduraguy wrote:Free lighters from promotionals? Care to elaborate?
Well I'm probably a lot older than you to begin with......Let's see....I acquired over the years Free Zippo's from promotional offers and coupon savings accumulations from Marlboro, Camel and Raleigh Cigarette Companies. I also received quite a few free ones from Soldiers during the Vietnam War in the 70's. Seems like Zippo would provide free lighters to our service men in recognition of their units achievements, successful military engagements and and zippos with their individual unit emblems.

On a side note: FWIW: I have found that the Zippo lighter is one of those perfect gifts(for a smoker). God knows there are so many symbols, designs, engravings, colors, products, sports and companies logos etc etc. on the face of a zippo lighter today, that it becomes really easy to find the perfect one to match the individual's interest who you are buying for. I have given many a zippo gift....and they were always appreciated and used. That said the one's that people liked best were customized by me. Back in the day I would buy the plain simple generic Zippo in Silver (the cheapest model) the one that had no writing, engravings or logo on either side.....I had a small collection of plastic miniature firearms, handguns, shotguns,Rifles, Knives all collected from 25 cent bubble gum machines at the supermarket and saved over the years....Now lets say I had a friend who liked .357 Magnums...I would epoxy a Colt Python plastic gun onto the face of the zippo then take it out to be engraved with the person name or something else fitting that made it more than just a zippo, but something unique and special. Since I always have had lots of friends in Law Enforcement all across the country I would buy mini shields of the agent's agency and epoxy it onto the face of the zippo...they where always very popular gifts........
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I love them, I just hate how they evaporate so quickly so I don't carry them. My favorite lighter is a Imco Triplex Super 6700 but it too evaporates too quick to carry unless you use it enough to keep refilling it.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Always like the music in this one.

https://youtu.be/0YBw_8QFyWg
PStone

Post by PStone »

A Zippo was my first “fidget” item. Have been collecting for years. I bought my first one more than twenty years ago because I mainly work outdoors and lighting a smoke with a bic on a slight breeze day can be a pain. It was a basic plain street chrome, but I had my name engraved on it. I lost that thing 4 times. Was returned to me 3 times...

BTW- There is a very limited run of 100 spyderco zippos that can still be found on the secondary market.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

I have a bunch of Zippo lighters.

But as Im not a smoker, I just quit using them, as its fracking annoying, how fast the fuel evaporates.
Id fill up a Zippo, use it once or twice and then the next time, Id go and try light it, it would be bone dry.

I mainly use a lighter (or knife/flint) for lighting a wood fire or Vargo alcohol stove.

I switched to a waterproof Douglass lighter, in which the fuel lasts a looooong time (up to a year, if left unused).

Last edited by SpyderScout on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderScout wrote:Image

Bit as Im not a smoker, I just quit using them, as its fracking annoying, how fast the fuel evaporates.
Id fill up a Zippo, use it once or twice and then the next time, Id go and try light it, it would be bone dry.

I mainly use a lighter (or knife/flint) for lighting a wood fire or Vargo alcohol stove.

I switched to a waterproof Douglass lighter, in which the fuel lasts a looooong time (up to a year, if left unused).

Whoa that Douglas is nice. Reminds me of my IMCO. Pretty pricey though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Evil D wrote:
SpyderScout wrote:Image

Bit as Im not a smoker, I just quit using them, as its fracking annoying, how fast the fuel evaporates.

Whoa that Douglas is nice. Reminds me of my IMCO. Pretty pricey though.
Thx.

I have two IMCOs as well. They are quaint. I like, that both Zippo and IMCO are of old design (as is the Douglass).

IMCOs have a flimsy feel due to the construction (bits did start falling of one of my IMCOs shortly after purchase). They still work though.
The Douglass is solid and in a class of its own. Fantastic quality. There is simply no comparison.

It takes a little longer for the fuel to evaporate in an IMCO, than it does in a Zippo. A week or so longer IIRC

For my use - lighting a camp fire or wood/alcohol fire, the Zippo is atrocious in rgds to keeping a charge of fuel, as its always needs a refill, when I need it to work.

The Douglass is not cheap but worth every penny - and then some!

I got a very good deal on mine due to circumstances.

As itll hold the fuel for a long time, it is great for my use.
Im also saving a lot of fuel, as I dont constantly refill the Field S lighter between outings.

Further more, the Douglass is of screw-down waterproof design, which is a boon in the rain.

The Zippo and the IMCO are nice lighters but for a practical lighter (for my use), the Douglass cant be beat.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

From a collectible aspect what do you look for as far as a ZIPPO lighter being worthy of called "collectible"? I'm sure ones like let's say with maybe a "Harley Davidson" logo or maybe one that advertises "Jim Beam" the destroyer of more livers than any substance on the planet :rolleyes: >> that ones like that might have a collectible appeal . But I just don't know what collectors look for in a Zippo :confused:. I'm not a smoker so I personally don't have hardly any use for them but I do like the fact that the ZIPPO company is a true part of "Americana".

Are there certain ones that are considered super rare? Because I do find them are garage and estate sales and sometimes I even find them at certain thrift stores. But I usually don't buy them unless they are literally giving them away for a quarter or so. I just wish I knew the ones to go after.

It is a shame about them letting the fluid evaporate so fast you would think after all these years of being in business they would have tried to solve that problem.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderScout wrote:
The Zippo and the IMCO are nice lighters but for a practical lighter (for my use), the Douglass cant be beat.

I saw one review about the flint wheel failing and not turning anymore? Any issues with that? I'm not a smoker but I like to have a lighter of some sort with me. Bic's are always an option but kinda boring too. Seems the brass ones are out of stock most everywhere (of course they are).
~David
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Evil D wrote:
SpyderScout wrote:

I saw one review about the flint wheel failing and not turning anymore? Any issues with that? I'm not a smoker but I like to have a lighter of some sort with me. Bic's are always an option but kinda boring too. Seems the brass ones are out of stock most everywhere (of course they are).
Flint wheel issues? None so far - my Field S works perfectly but cant say long term, as Ive only had it a short while.

I researched the Field S beforehand and this is the first suggestion, I hear of any potential problems.

Worthy of note; the Douglass does use larger flints than than a Zippo does. I dont know, if that might have been a factor.

I should not think, there would be any issue - the Field S is built like a tank.

As per the manufacturer;
"The big feature of this lighter is its toughness of completion despite it being a precise instrument. This lighter is a combination of 45 parts all calculated within a 1/100 millimeter tolerance. It is designed to be durable and waterproof."

BICs are great but they are not waterproof and I sorta like that feature.
I do a lot of fire lighting in adverse conditions (camp fire/stoves etc) + go kayaking (not that I intend to drop my lighter in the water but you never know when you or your waterproof or not so waterproof bags go in the drink and or from the kayak....in the rain).
Last edited by SpyderScout on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderScout wrote:
Evil D wrote:
SpyderScout wrote:

Flint wheel issues? None so far - my Field S works perfectly but cant say long term, as Ive only had it a short while.

I researched the Field S beforehand and this is the first suggestion, I hear of any potential problems.

Worthy of note; the Douglass does use larger flints than than a Zippo does. I dont know, if that might have been a factor.

I should not think, there would be any issue - the Field S is built like a tank.

As per the manufacturer;
"The big feature of this lighter is its toughness of completion despite it being a precise instrument. This lighter is a combination of 45 parts all calculated within a 1/100 millimeter tolerance. It is designed to be durable and waterproof."
So do you have a source for those larger flints? I do wish it had the adjustable flame like the IMCO.
~David
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Flame height/size is adjusted just perfectly on my Field S.

If not, the construction looks like you can just pull the replaceable wick one way or the other (though I havent experimented, as my lighter flame is just right).

Eflay has the flints, as does the manufacturer and IIRC BladeHQ.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

I added a BIC comment above.

Yes, the brass version is by far the nicest and they all seem to be out of stock on a regular basis (gunmetal, brass, chrome, facetted SS).

I bought the chrome version (which has grown on me) because it was there and it was a good deal for a NIB Douglass.
max808

Post by max808 »

The solid brass zippos still seem to be a hot ticket over on eBay...
Screenshot_2021-10-13-08-15-34-919_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
Screenshot_2021-10-13-08-15-07-248_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
Screenshot_2021-10-10-21-25-58-812_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
Screenshot_2021-10-10-21-25-25-852_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
Screenshot_2021-10-10-21-25-13-318_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
Not sure if these screenshots are in violation of any forum protocol so please let me know if they are.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I have large and small USS Ranger (CV-61) Zippo's that I bought years ago for my parents when I was in the Navy. My mom had hers engraved with the date I gave it to her, and my dad put clear plastic tape over the Ranger shield on his to keep it from wearing.