Why Do People Hate Knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Why Do People Hate Knives?

Post by James Y »

PoisonedPizza wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:44 am
3rdGenRigger wrote:
Sun May 10, 2015 7:06 pm
k
I can tell you I'd rather have a baseball bat or a golf club than a knife if I ever got into a fight for my life. I get a similar reaction every so often, but people around here are actually very good for the most part. I have a Spyderco in my RFP, and my Leatherman Skeletool in my LFP (Also looks like a pocket knife to a non-knife person) at all times, and I make literally zero attempt to hide or conceal them...some of my knives have lanyards on them even. I've been asked why I carry such a device by people before, but no one has really freaked out overly yet after my explanation. At work I have my coveralls on and have my Leatherman and at least two Spydercos right clear in the bib pockets. Some places are definitely more paranoid about knives though due to media, laws, etc.
Yeah, unless you're properly trained, a knife is kinda worthless for self defense.
I don’t know about that. I’m pretty sure that most serious and fatal knifings, whether offensive or defensive, were caused by people without any training whatsoever in knife combatives. In fact, I’m aware of several instances where untrained people used knives to fatally wound their attackers, a couple of them in my local area. What’s the difference between offensive and defensive knife use? Intent. However, they both involve using a sharp blade to penetrate human flesh, which isn’t hard to cut.

One time, an acquaintance who was a 4th degree Tae Kwon Do black belt, and ran a large school, handed me a rubber knife and asked me to attack him any way I wanted in a ‘freestyle’ manner, so he could practice his knife defenses. I could come at him any way I wanted. The only rule was that I not attack him from his neck up, because he wasn’t wearing any padding or face protection. Although by that time (circa 1989) I already had about 13 years of my own martial arts experience, as well as fighting experience, both competitive and some for real, I had absolutely no experience in knife fighting/combatives. The Tae Kwon Do guy was very good, very athletic, and slightly larger (taller) than I was.

After about 5 minutes (maybe less), he asked me to stop. That rubber training knife had left welts all over his forearms, upper arms, backs of hands, torso (front, side and back), and thighs. It ended up hurting more than one would think from a rubber knife. I simply used it in a way that felt natural; in my right hand, sometimes I lead right side forward, and sometimes left side forward. I slashed his arms and backs of hands when he reached for me or struck at me. Sometimes I rushed in, grabbed him, and did what I learned much later was called the “sewing machine” motion of repeated stabs in close quarters. At the end of it, he turned his back to get away, and I grabbed him and was “stabbing” him in the kidney area. OTOH, he hadn’t gotten in a single strike or kick, and hadn’t been able to block any of my attacks, either, because my attacks were erratic, quite unlike what someone would see in a typical martial arts school setting. I remember he sat down, dejected and upset about it. Luckily, it was only the two of us, and none of his students or any other witnesses had been present. I’m not tooting my own horn, either. Had the roles been reversed, it’s possible a similar result would’ve happened.

But I give him credit; he wanted to see how the knife defenses he practiced and taught at his school would hold up under more realistic circumstances, and he discovered the difference. And again, I had no training in knife fighting. Now, maybe my other experience (empty-hand) and long/short staff work gave me a foundation of sorts and had some carry-over effect, and maybe I had an idea what areas to target. But ‘other’ training is not knife self-defense or knife fight training. And I don’t personally carry a knife for SD purposes. That doesn’t mean it would be worthless, it just wouldn’t be my first choice, if given a choice. And I’m not even going into the legal mess one faces even simply defending oneself with a blade.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

PoisonedPizza wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:
I can tell you I'd rather have a baseball bat or a golf club than a knife if I ever got into a fight for my life. I get a similar reaction every so often, but people around here are actually very good for the most part. I have a Spyderco in my RFP, and my Leatherman Skeletool in my LFP (Also looks like a pocket knife to a non-knife person) at all times, and I make literally zero attempt to hide or conceal them...some of my knives have lanyards on them even. I've been asked why I carry such a device by people before, but no one has really freaked out overly yet after my explanation. At work I have my coveralls on and have my Leatherman and at least two Spydercos right clear in the bib pockets. Some places are definitely more paranoid about knives though due to media, laws, etc.
Yeah, unless you're properly trained, a knife is kinda worthless for self defense.

Hardly....

Reality is that anything is better than fingernails when it comes to self defense.

And no MOST people who have actually defended against and or killed another person with a knife have had very little or zero formal training.

It is a very well known proven fact, one that the training schools like to ignore for marketing reasons to make sales etc.

That said a knife wouldn't be my 1st choice for a defensive tool, I can think of many other things I would rather have in a defensive situation.

But like I said anything is better than fingernails when your life is on the line.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:31 am
PoisonedPizza wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:
k
I don’t know about that. I’m pretty sure that most serious and fatal knifings, whether offensive or defensive, were caused by people without any training whatsoever in knife combatives. In fact, I’m aware of several instances where untrained people used knives to fatally wound their attackers, a couple of them in my local area. What’s the difference between offensive and defensive knife use? Intent. However, they both involve using a sharp blade to penetrate human flesh, which isn’t hard to cut.

One time, an acquaintance who was a 4th degree Tae Kwon Do black belt, and ran a large school, handed me a rubber knife and asked me to attack him any way I wanted in a ‘freestyle’ manner, so he could practice his knife defenses. I could come at him any way I wanted. The only rule was that I not attack him from his neck up, because he wasn’t wearing any padding or face protection. Although by that time (circa 1989) I already had about 13 years of my own martial arts experience, as well as fighting experience, both competitive and some for real, I had absolutely no experience in knife fighting/combatives. The Tae Kwon Do guy was very good, very athletic, and slightly larger (taller) than I was.

After about 5 minutes (maybe less), he asked me to stop. That rubber training knife had left welts all over his forearms, upper arms, backs of hands, torso (front, side and back), and thighs. It ended up hurting more than one would think from a rubber knife. I simply used it in a way that felt natural; in my right hand, sometimes I lead right side forward, and sometimes left side forward. I slashed his arms and backs of hands when he reached for me or struck at me. Sometimes I rushed in, grabbed him, and did what I learned much later was called the “sewing machine” motion of repeated stabs in close quarters. At the end of it, he turned his back to get away, and I grabbed him and was “stabbing” him in the kidney area. OTOH, he hadn’t gotten in a single strike or kick, and hadn’t been able to block any of my attacks, either, because my attacks were erratic, quite unlike what someone would see in a typical martial arts school setting. I remember he sat down, dejected and upset about it. Luckily, it was only the two of us, and none of his students or any other witnesses had been present. I’m not tooting my own horn, either. Had the roles been reversed, it’s possible a similar result would’ve happened.

But I give him credit; he wanted to see how the knife defenses he practiced and taught at his school would hold up under more realistic circumstances, and he discovered the difference. And again, I had no training in knife fighting. Now, maybe my other experience (empty-hand) and long/short staff work gave me a foundation of sorts and had some carry-over effect, and maybe I had an idea what areas to target. But ‘other’ training is not knife self-defense or knife fight training. And I don’t personally carry a knife for SD purposes. That doesn’t mean it would be worthless, it just wouldn’t be my first choice, if given a choice. And I’m not even going into the legal mess one faces even simply defending oneself with a blade.

Jim
Jim,

I went through the same thing for the most part.

Never had any formal martial arts training other than what I had in the Military.

Same with knife training.

Like yours I also had a training knife and the other guy was a martial arts guy, black belt.... Had a pretty big head too from what I remember.

He lasted about 5 secs against me and like you he never landed one blow.

He really beat himself, I used the knife to block everything he threw at me, he would have gone into shock and blead to death if it had been real.

I can however say this, I wouldn't want less than a 7" to 8" bladed knife in my hand if I had to use one.....

If all I had on me was a folder I would be looking for anything else to use and the folder would be my last choice.

The smartest thing to do if someone has a knife is to walk away.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

PoisonedPizza wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:
Having had some formal training using edged weapons I'd rather have a knife than a baseball bat or golf club, in any confrontation. With 20 to 40 hours of training, I could convince you of the same.

1,500 people murdered with knives in 2018 in the USA. 2nd only to firearms.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/195 ... apon-used/

With edged weaponry training your skill level goes way up, and you become exponentially more dangerous.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:16 am
James Y wrote:
PoisonedPizza wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:
k

Jim
Jim,

Never had any formal martial arts training other than what I had in the Military.

Like yours I also had a training knife and the other guy was a martial arts guy, black belt.... Had a pretty big head too from what I remember.

He really beat himself, I used the knife to block everything he threw at me, he would have gone into shock and blead to death if it had been real.

I can however say this, I wouldn't want less than a 7" to 8" bladed knife in my hand if I had to use one.....

If all I had on me was a folder I would be looking for anything else to use and the folder would be my last choice.

Jim
I agree, Jim.

I also think that when a lot of people think ‘knife self-defense,’ they envision a knife duel, like some kind of knife vs knife contest. In the vast majority of instances, that’s not the case at all.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:20 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
PoisonedPizza wrote:

Jim
Jim,

Jim
I agree, Jim.

I also think that when a lot of people think ‘knife self-defense,’ they envision a knife duel, like some kind of knife vs knife contest. In the vast majority of instances, that’s not the case at all.

Jim

Jim,

That seems to be the common delusion.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
Jim,

Jim
I agree, Jim.

Jim
The best way to use a knife is not hard to figure out, it is the same for all small hand held weapons. Assassination. Sneak attack.

Yes, you are more than welcome to "duel" but nobody expects it.

The best defensive use of a small handheld weapon, is a strong offensive move(s). Be first or you're last. Being last usually means being dead.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm glad that this very thoughtful thread re-surfaced. I've been thinking about a possible answer in less than 100 words that can describe the change in mindset that most people in the western world ( USA, Canada>> and even New Zealand & Australia too in some ways). It seems as though there has been a complete re-conditioning of the thinking patterns of people. Instead of morality people are now on this "politically correct" set of man made rules. People have been brainwashed into believing that guns and knives have a mind of their own which is total and complete hogwash.

The mainstream media ( TV, Movies and the internet too) have gone to extremes to try to get American people to discard their independent mode of thinking. It's as though many people are truly following the politically correct pied piper so to speak. And it's causing our society to go downward I'm regretful to say. I can remember being a Junior in High School and I was in the gym one day and the coach and vice principal got a package and were trying to open it. I had my BUCK Yearling pocket knife on me and I gave it to the vice principal. He used the Buck Yearling to open the package and he immediately gave it back to me>> no problem at all>> he even thanked me>> and that was during school hours too. And that's the way it used to be in this country.

But somehow people are believing this politically correct non-sense of somehow believing that a knife or in some cases a gun is the offender. No the knife or gun are both just tools for crying out loud. But over the years and from the questionable wisdom of psychologists and other know it all types the people have believed the hogwash about the tools being the offender. It's really about that simple. And knife carrying people like us need to turn this thinking around. Buy your friends and family members Spyderco knives for Christmas and Birthdays. One by one we can change the thinking of intelligent Americans.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

People have been brainwashed into believing that guns and knives have a mind of their own which is total and complete hogwash.
Blaming inanimate objects is a lot easier than putting the blame on people who can fight back politically and economically. The thought of the latter nowadays is a very real threat especially when social media makes finding 50 or 100K people to agree with your cause so easy. Finding a village mob to join with pitchforks and torches running down monsters is a way to gain some quick validation without leaving your home in the rain and cold and is a past time for bored kids now.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:33 pm
Buy your friends and family members Spyderco knives for Christmas and Birthdays. One by one we can change the thinking of intelligent Americans.
Sounds like a great idea! I'll try to do that this Christmas.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
I'm glad that this very thoughtful thread re-surfaced. I've been thinking about a possible answer in less than 100 words that can describe the change in mindset that most people in the western world ( USA, Canada>> and even New Zealand & Australia too in some ways). It seems as though there has been a complete re-conditioning of the thinking patterns of people. Instead of morality people are now on this "politically correct" set of man made rules. People have been brainwashed into believing that guns and knives have a mind of their own which is total and complete hogwash.

The mainstream media ( TV, Movies and the internet too) have gone to extremes to try to get American people to discard their independent mode of thinking. It's as though many people are truly following the politically correct pied piper so to speak. And it's causing our society to go downward I'm regretful to say. I can remember being a Junior in High School and I was in the gym one day and the coach and vice principal got a package and were trying to open it. I had my BUCK Yearling pocket knife on me and I gave it to the vice principal. He used the Buck Yearling to open the package and he immediately gave it back to me>> no problem at all>> he even thanked me>> and that was during school hours too. And that's the way it used to be in this country.

But somehow people are believing this politically correct non-sense of somehow believing that a knife or in some cases a gun is the offender. No the knife or gun are both just tools for crying out loud. But over the years and from the questionable wisdom of psychologists and other know it all types the people have believed the hogwash about the tools being the offender. It's really about that simple. And knife carrying people like us need to turn this thinking around. Buy your friends and family members Spyderco knives for Christmas and Birthdays. One by one we can change the thinking of intelligent Americans.

A lot of it has to do with how knives and or guns are portrayed on TV and in the Movies as weapons.

Then there are all the advertisements portraying them as weapons....

People can't have it both ways...

They can't portray them as weapons at every turn and in every TV show and MOVIE and advertised all over the place and then tell people that they are just tools.

They will not believe you no matter how you try and spin it to them.

They are doing all of the anti-knife peoples work for them.

The Knife Companies and or makers are going to market their knives how they see fit and to increase sales.

But don't complain about it when that same marketing is doing damage as a whole as to how people see knives in general.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:42 am
JD Spydo wrote:

A lot of it has to do with how knives and or guns are portrayed on TV and in the Movies as weapons.

They can't portray them as weapons at every turn and in every TV show and MOVIE and advertised all over the place and then tell people that they are just tools.

The Knife Companies and or makers are going to market their knives how they see fit and to increase sales.

But don't complain about it when that same marketing is doing damage as a whole as to how people see knives in general.
Yeah, there are at least 3 companies I can think of offhand who openly market their knives as weapons...two of whom always tout some sort of “Special Ops” connection (unless one of those two companies isn’t around anymore; I won’t give the name of the one I’m thinking of, but it rhymes with “park cops”). The other two prominent companies have said to the effect of, “We make no bones about it; our knives are weapons first, and we won’t be cowed into pretending they’re not.” I’m paraphrasing, but that’s pretty close.

Now, I’m not sure how many anti-knife types actually seek out and read the advertising, or watch the videos that are put out by knife companies, but that’s all out there, nonetheless. That whole super-macho, elite tough guy mentality may help them in marketing to their target audience, but it can also come around and bite them, and the rest of the specialty knife industry by association, in the rear.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:27 am
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:42 am
JD Spydo wrote:

Yeah, there are at least 3 companies I can think of offhand who openly market their knives as weapons...two of whom always tout some sort of “Special Ops” connection (unless one of those two companies isn’t around anymore; I won’t give the name of the one I’m thinking of, but it rhymes with “park cops”). The other two prominent companies have said to the effect of, “We make no bones about it; our knives are weapons first, and we won’t be cowed into pretending they’re not.” I’m paraphrasing, but that’s pretty close.

Now, I’m not sure how many anti-knife types actually seek out and read the advertising, or watch the videos that are put out by knife companies, but that’s all out there, nonetheless. That whole super-macho, elite tough guy mentality may help them in marketing to their target audience, but it can also come around and bite them, and the rest of the specialty knife industry by association, in the rear.

Jim

Jim,

The marketing damage they do is out there and I do believe that people actually do see some of it.

But for most I believe it's more TV and the Movies.

For the anti-knife types the Companies are suppling them with all of the material needed from the marketing... Really stupid when you think about it... :rolleyes:

It's impossible to defend something when your own marking says exactly what the anti-knife people are saying.

Then there are some of the owners out there that think everyone around them should be aware that they have a knife and they make it obvious... We could do a whole thread just on that stupidity alone.

I don't believe sheeple and or the term Politically correct are really relevant here when talking about people who just aren't into knives or see them as weapons.

It's extremely hard to impossible defend something that is portrayed as a weapon by so many sources to someone who is in the anti-knife crowd.

Especially when they can come up with tons of evidence to that fact including the advertising.

Just some thoughts in the end.

Jim
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:18 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
Jim,

Jim
I agree, Jim.

Jim
The best way to use a knife is not hard to figure out, it is the same for all small hand held weapons. Assassination. Sneak attack.

Yes, you are more than welcome to "duel" but nobody expects it.

The best defensive use of a small handheld weapon, is a strong offensive move(s). Be first or you're last. Being last usually means being dead.
It’s many, many years since I fenced, but the only matches I ever felt like a real winner were on the basis of out-and-out aggression.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:25 pm
It’s many, many years since I fenced, but the only matches I ever felt like a real winner were on the basis of out-and-out aggression.
In 2002, I was in Stockton, CA, at a first meeting with Bahala Na. It was quickly fading in to evening...say 8PM or later, and we were all (the top 10 to 15 guys in the school) getting drunk on Filipino liquor. Bahala Na is known as one of the top escrima/arnis schools in the USA.

We were all sparring. Well, they were sparring. And they suddenly turned to me and said, "YOU'RE UP!" Hahahahaha!!!!

Yes, I had an, "OH SH*T!" moment, and then put on the helmet and grabbed a 24 inch rattan stick. I had only studied a little Inayan (Cabales descendant) and was certainly not in any condition to spar with anyone. The guy I was sparring against had his 1st degree blk belt in Tai Kwon Do, and had been studying Bahala Na for 4 months.

The command was given, "Si Gi!" It was on, Full Contact, before I knew what was happening. The barrage of strikes that I took from the rattan stick sounded like a drum roll. I had no answer....but thank God for the liquor! I didn't feel a thing.

I had not moved off the mark, and was probably hit 20+ times at full force. I was trying to figure out what moves the opponent was going to use rather than attacking.

They all looked at me. It got kind of quiet. There were a handful of "Are you OK?" and I let out a laugh. Hahahaha! OK, now I wanted to kick some *ss!

The command was given again, "Si Gi!" This time my opponent looked me over, then decided to throw a spinning back kick in to my mid-section. There was just one chance, so I jumped to his rear left, behind him. I could hear the howls from the Bahala Na practitioners!!!! I could literally cripple my opponent as he finished his kick in to thin air. I struck hard!

They all jumped to their feet and ran in to the fray.

"Who are you!"

"Are you from the Dog Brothers!!!"

"Where did you get that move?"

I just said, "I'm from the South Side of Chicago...old move." and burst out laughing.

Yes, a little aggression goes a looooooong way. Knowing what to look for helps too. I've studied/dabbled in at least 10 martial arts by now, 5 of them Filipino arts.
PoisonedPizza

Post by PoisonedPizza »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:38 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim
Jim,

Jim
I agree, Jim.

Jim

Jim,

That seems to be the common delusion.

Irregardless of training, in this day and age, if someone wanted to harm another person, at least in my country, they'd use a gun. Try defending against THAT with a knife. But yeah, I'm sure with the right training, a knife is a **** of a lot better than nothing.

Jim
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but the knife is cooler than the pen.