Baltimore Nonsense

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tvenuto

Baltimore Nonsense

Post by tvenuto »

So it's pretty much national news now that our city has lost its **** mind. Thanks to those of you who have sent PMs to me, rest assured that my home, business and family are all safe and sound. While there was definitely some very serious violence and looting going on, it was isolated to some pretty specific areas, and was perpetrated by relatively few individuals who took advantage of an organized protest. See a map of the incidents here (note that the gray dots are merely business closures).

Obviously this can be a touchy issue, so please try to refrain from overly aggressive editorializing on what's going on here. In short, a man died whilst in police custody in questionable circumstances. There was an organized protest, and certain people, especially very young people, used the distraction to loot, vandalize, and steal. The national guard have been called in to assist, but I have to imagine the worst of it is over.

Thanks again to all that sent me PMs expressing concern!
bearfacedkiller

Re: Baltimore Nonsense

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I'm glad you are ok. It is so sad that people disrespect the real issue by using at as an excuse to commit crimes and express anger that has more to do with themselves than any other issues. The fact that this incident and some previous incidents lately took place despite the fact that the families of the victims expressed that they did not want any sort of violence or chaos to be committed in the victim's name is just appalling to me. I hope everything gets back to normal there as soon as possible. These sort of things are so demoralizing.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world" -Gahndi
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Interesting happenings. Seems some folks are convinced that the police and establishment are the root of ALL their troubles. Hmm...it would be interesting if the police, the hardworking citizens, the taxpayers, the business owners....all just picked up and left. Then those folks would be left there with nobody else to "persecute" them. I wonder how they would fare? I mean, they should do great right? Sigh, I have a LOT to say but I'm afraid if i get started then I will have a difficult time censoring myself. So yes, I will just agree...nonsense. Glad your family and business were not affected.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I never understood this behavior. It's disgusting and disgraceful.

Hey, I'm unhappy with the way my race/sex/culture/community/etc is being treated, and so to show that frustration I'm going to burn/vandalize/loot the very same community that I'm frustrated over. You can't preach about not getting treated fairly and then turn around and rob the very same people you're preaching to defend.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

First of all, tv, I am so glad and happy that you and your family and business are safe. THANK GOD IN JESUS NAME!
As far as the rest goes, I second the comment made by EvilD.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Thanks for the kind words.

The unfortunate fact is that the looting and vandalism is entirely distinct from the protest, yet only serves to overshadow it. People are right to be angry: a man died in police custody in questionable circumstances. People also have the right to demonstrate peaceably and I think many if not most of the protesters had just this intention. I don't think a single one of those seen looting or vandalizing had the slightest illusion that they were doing this as some sort of representation of their anger over the incident, I think it was merely an opportunity to destroy or steal while the police were distracted elsewhere.

Are there socio-economic factors present here (and almost every city) that set the stage for an outburst such as this? Of course, and we're a long way from having those issues settled in Baltimore or elsewhere. However, it should be noted that for every destructive act, we're seeing two acts of altruism. People brought bottles of water to the police who were forced to work long shifts, and large groups set out today to clean up the streets of debris and glass. I'm sure there were many small acts of kindness or heroism that will go unknown to all but the parties that experienced them. I think the worst of it is behind us, and I'm thankful that it was only as bad as it was.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Also, there is a curfew in effect right now. It is actually unlawful for me to leave my house at the moment. I think it's a necessary step given what transpired yesterday, but I do have to admit that it feels a little weird.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Darby, I'm glad that you and your family are doing well amidst the chaos. Good luck and be safe! :)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Glad you're doing Ok and are safe 'n' sound, sir.

As to the issue in hand- the Police of any nation are still human beings doing the job as best they can in the circumstances given.

Humans make mistakes- and it's saddening when that leads to someone losing their life or livelihood....
Be upset, sure.
Lobby your political officials and protest in a peaceful fashion, absolutely.
But nothing of the sort gives anyone license to riot.*

But the flipside of distrusting the Police was crystalised into one statement I saw: "If you don't like the Police, next time you are in trouble: try calling a crackhead and see what happens"

*In the UK we had a series of riots about 5 years ago when there was a justified police shooting of a criminal in London- 'sympathy riots' exploded in 3 cities (including my own) which were little more than 'Me Too'ists jumping on the bandwagon (via social media) and using it as an excuse to loot.
I'm happy to report that UK Courts took a dim view of the feeble excuses tendered- One woman in my town looted 1x sneaker (not even a pair!) from a shoe store and received 3 years suspended sentence and a banning order preventing her from entering the city center again, on pain of immediate imprisonment
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I would agree with tvenuto that the vast majority of the protesters were not looting and had a very legitimate cause for protest. What I found disheartening was how many of those peaceful protesters felt compelled to make excuses for the looters. Obviously not all of them did, and I'm sure that most did not, but I heard that way too often yesterday.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I'm glad you and your family are ok T' :)

It's sad that people take advantage of the death of a young man in order to benefit themselves but I guess there are lots of socio-economic issues behind all this. I'm sure the people responsible will be caught and charged once all the chaos dies down.

From what I have seen, all this started after a young man was arrested for carrying a pocket knife, something most of us here do daily.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
CyberKlown28

Post by CyberKlown28 »

Scumbags.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

demoncase wrote:As to the issue in hand- the Police of any nation are still human beings doing the job as best they can in the circumstances given.
Absolutely, and like normal people there will be good ones, bad ones, and evil ones. Obviously there will be heroism and abuses alike. I think assuming the worst of all police officers is unproductive, and ironically the exact same attitude many of these people are protesting: profiling (the lumping of all people in a certain group together and treating them differently). However, sometimes I can see how the lack of transparency or outright dishonesty engenders that attitude.

Today, our gym along with another local one donated cases of bottled water, energy drinks, and snack bars to the Baltimore Police. They're obviously working their butts off during this period. Even if there was wrongdoing, the honest officers on the streets now are the ones paying for it and deserve our support. It was a small gesture, but sometimes those can mean far more to the recipients than it cost me in effort (a short trip to the store that I was going to anyway).
Johnnie1801 wrote:From what I have seen, all this started after a young man was arrested for carrying a pocket knife, something most of us here do daily.
It's not completely clear exactly why he was arrested from what I've read. Most of the stories say: he made eye contact and then ran from the police. He had an extensive arrest record, so it is possible that one of the officers recognized him specifically, although it's all really speculation at this point.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It's tough to figure out how much damage is done by locals and what is being done by professional agitators paid to do exactly what they are doing. The last 3 incidents were the same. L/E all the way up to the top knows who these guys are, who pays their bills and allows them to go from one incident to another to whip up trouble and see to it that things get messy.

How does one get a job as a professional agitator ?

:)
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

I hope all those of you living in the Baltimore area will be able to recover soon

I have to wonder how much the media is to blame? So often, the media tells these stories and leaves half the truth out--manipulating things--fanning the flames.

Heck, I've occasionally caught some of my local media outlets telling entire stories that were blatant lies! And I'm talking about media outlets that are considered respectable and legitimate!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

remnar wrote:Darby, I'm glad that you and your family are doing well amidst the chaos. Good luck and be safe! :)
Not me, I live in Denver. Everybody is too high for any of that nonsense. :p
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
remnar

Post by remnar »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
remnar wrote:Darby, I'm glad that you and your family are doing well amidst the chaos. Good luck and be safe! :)
Not me, I live in Denver. Everybody is too high for any of that nonsense. :p
Oops, How embarrassing. :o Of course that was meant for tvenuto but I saw the sig in your post and mixed it up with his post.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:It's tough to figure out how much damage is done by locals and what is being done by professional agitators paid to do exactly what they are doing. The last 3 incidents were the same. L/E all the way up to the top knows who these guys are, who pays their bills and allows them to go from one incident to another to whip up trouble and see to it that things get messy.

How does one get a job as a professional agitator ?

:)

Joe,

Spot on there.

The problem I have is LE hands are tied to the point they can't really do anything. :rolleyes:

All I know is LE needs to do SOMETHING before long or things could really start to get out of hand and much more serious with devastating results.

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I live near Cincinnati... People are pretesting here. Seriously?

It never ceases to amaze me that I have yet to be offended or treated poorly by a cop. There's such an easy way to avoid it...stop breaking the law and making an *** of yourself.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:I live near Cincinnati... People are pretesting here. Seriously?

It never ceases to amaze me that I have yet to be offended or treated poorly by a cop. There's such an easy way to avoid it...stop breaking the law and making an *** of yourself.

There has been more than enough blatant stupidity going on lately. :rolleyes:

Not sure how much longer this will go on before they get the kind of attention that they really don't want to deal with.

This nonsense needs to stop and soon before that happens I am thinking.