To carry, or not to carry a fire steel...that is the question.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tvenuto

To carry, or not to carry a fire steel...that is the question.

Post by tvenuto »

https://youtu.be/EdTnlnJjSqE

Have at it folks.

For me, the caloric demand of carrying a fire steel does not outweigh the fact that I have an additional means of starting a fire. You're free not to carry one if you don't agree with me.
yablanowitz

Re: To carry, or not to carry a fire steel...that is the question.

Post by yablanowitz »

I've been carrying around an Exotac nanoStriker for years. No battery, no fuel, weighs less and takes up less room than an average pocketknife, and it gives me another way to start a fire. But then, I carry multiple knives, flashlights and multitools as well. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Pushing 70 and haven't felt the need to carry a fire steel yet, possibly because my idea of "roughing it" would be a motel without internet access, so put me in the "not" column.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Deacon wrote:Pushing 70 and haven't felt the need to carry a fire steel yet, possibly because my idea of "roughing it" would be a motel without internet access, so put me in the "not" column.

That's my idea of roughing it these days also with my handicap I have now. :spyder:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I was overly active in the previous thread so I will just say that for me it is a definite yes.

I always carry one when in the wilderness and in the winter I keep one in my inside jacket pocket. I spend a lot of time in the woods in the winter. It would be safe to say that I have more winter survival experience than anyone I know and I have had a couple of close calls so I tend to be overly prepared.

When living back in New York I spent a week backpacking in the high peaks and it might of hit single digits at the warmest all week long and got down to -35 one night. There is no such thing as being over prepared in situations like that.

Here is Mt Iroquios from mount Algonquin. I am alone on this trip.

Here is a storm coming at me.

Here is the ensuing whiteout.

Kind of cool. This is called rime ice and it forms when moist air blows against a cold rock.

Another one of me about 12 miles from the trailhead still below treeline.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Donut

Post by Donut »

I don't really carry one, but I have some stashed around. I keep a couple in my car and a couple at home. I also occasionally carry a lighter, but mostly keep them at work and at home.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

There are a couple of decent keychain size fire steels out there. Carrying shouldn't be an issue.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Cool shots, BFK!

Truth be told, I don't have a fire steel either. I don't do a ton of outdoors stuff, and I live in a city. One day I'll be out in nature, but for now I'm a city slicker.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I always carry something when I'm outdoors, but that's about it. I sometimes carry a mini Bic lighter though, which IMO is just as good or better than a fire steel in most scenarios.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With the prospects of an economic debacle, societal breakdown, war on our own soil ( GOD Forbid), or even a currency collapse ( very possible in the current economic climate). I'm trying to be optimistic and I truly hope none of that comes to fruition but with the uneasyness and economic calamity looming I'm trying to be prepared to get out of "Dodge" if any of the aforementioned goes haywire.

The two most important skills I've learned in survival and preparedness are making water potable ( safe to drink) and being able to start a fire even under very adverse conditions. I have one of the old Gerber magnesium blocks and a ferro rod I just recently aquired and I do keep them both very handy and accessible. As far as EDCing one on a constant basis>> no I haven't done that yet but I wouldn't rule it out if things were to get much worse than they are at this present time. I truly feel that our economic system has the potential to be a powderkeg and I would advise anyone to be prepared for short notice emergencies.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:I always carry something when I'm outdoors, but that's about it. I sometimes carry a mini Bic lighter though, which IMO is just as good or better than a fire steel in most scenarios.

Always have a lighter on me and a spare in the Jeep or the Truck. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I always carry one when in the wilderness and in the winter I keep one in my inside jacket pocket. I spend a lot of time in the woods in the winter. It would be safe to say that I have more winter survival experience than anyone I know and I have had a couple of close calls so I tend to be overly prepared.

When living back in New York I spent a week backpacking in the high peaks and it might of hit single digits at the warmest all week long and got down to -35 one night. There is no such thing as being over prepared in situations like that.
Can't blame you a bit. Like so many decisions we make, this one is heavily geared to our individual lifestyles.

I'd just add that there are obviously folks who find fire steels desirable and useful, so regardless of my total lack of personal need for such an item, I would never be opposed to Spyderco offering it, or anything else that some of their customers wanted, if they felt they could make a profit by doing so.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

The GobSpark is always in my daypack.. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

IMHO one of the important basic technics for a man is to be able to make a fire. Even people who have two left feet can make fire with lighters or other high tech equipment and therefore it's not challenging me to use such things.

I taught both sons and others to use fire steel, as it's more my way of life.

Heck, I even carry at least a folder with me in our first world living and many people see no benefit in it and I' m dubious in their eyes.

Of course I carry a fire steel ... that is no question for me ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I never go anywhere with out at least two tauntauns, if I need to I can always cut one open for warmth.

In my time backpacking and camping I have always found using an electronic lighter much more effective and efficient than a fire steel. There is a reason people light cigarettes with a zippo and not a fire steel. Sure fire steels are interesting and those skills should be explored but much better to learn how to build an effective fire with whatever small spark you have. I respect the idea of a challenge. Many times I don't even light a fire if I go camping.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Skidoosh wrote:... much better to learn how to build an effective fire with whatever small spark you have.
There is indeed no argument that sparks are more effective than an actual flame but part of the nice thing about using the fire steels, especially the very hard ones, is that you need to really develop skills for fire lighting, and in particular tinder preparation. With this skill set, it is fairly straightforward to move to direct spark (as in flint and steel) and friction fire making.

Are these necessary? Well that kind of argument ends up going into the Zambies! direction. It is looking at some kind of extreme calamity where you lose all of your fire making equipment. In general, no one takes that kind of approach to survival where you approach your gear and your choices from the extreme point of view where you are looking at very low probability events.

One of the nice things about fire steels is that you can get small ones which can be easily packed anywhere. The micro-rods can just be taped to the back of a sheath. I have even taped them to a boot. If you want to experiment without risking one of the rods, just take some matches and duct tape them to things and just check on them and see how long it takes for the tape to just come off and you lose the match.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

The Deacon wrote:Pushing 70 and haven't felt the need to carry a fire steel yet, possibly because my idea of "roughing it" would be a motel without internet access, so put me in the "not" column.
I'm a mere callow youth of 36 in comparison- but whole heartedly agree with your measure of 'roughing it' :)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I carry them because I enjoy using them, and I feel that it is not a bad idea to have a backup fire starter when hiking 50 miles without cell coverage in the middle of Wyoming. :)

Why carry more than one knife? Why carry a fire steel? Why carry an 860 lumen flashlight? Because I feel like it. ;)

If you don't go camping, of course you don't need one.
christopher

Post by christopher »

When I'm camping I carry both a fire steel and a BIC lighter. I'm a natural pessimist. Whatever can go wrong probably will in the outback, therefore I carry both. On a daily basis I carry the steel, I'm an ex-smoker and I don't want to be tempted.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

GoldenSpydie wrote:I carry them because I enjoy using them, and I feel that it is not a bad idea to have a backup fire starter when hiking 50 miles without cell coverage in the middle of Wyoming. :)

Why carry more than one knife? Why carry a fire steel? Why carry an 860 lumen flashlight? Because I feel like it. ;)

If you don't go camping, of course you don't need one.
True that! I love my 780 lumen quark pro. Is it overkill? **** yeah, of course it is! ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?