Sharpening Service?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

Sharpening Service?

Post by 1623 »

This afternoon I put up a Mag-Blok with all our new Spydie kitchen knives, which replace the old 2 man Henckels and no-names we were using. These old knives were losing their edges even before I got into the hobby and they are absolutely butter knife dull and beat down at this point...totally beyond my capability to resurrect them.

Since we explained to the kiddos that the new knives were off limits, I'd like to have the old ones reprofiled and sharpened so I can maintain them with my Sharpmaker, but I don't want them laser sharp, just a nice working edge. Our kids like to be in the kitchen and we want them to have proper tools, but at 7 and 11, the focus isn't always there and I'm concerned that they may get seriously injured with something too aggressive.

I was wondering if anyone could anyone suggest a sharpening service with a good rep that I could utilize for this particular need, since I was unable to locate anyone locally.

My thanks in advance.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Jason B.

Re: Sharpening Service?

Post by Jason B. »

As a professional sharpener I can help with your dull knives, but no one will be able to fill the request of kinda sharp. When the Slopes of a bevel meet and form an apex the knife is sharp, the grit the edge is finished too gives it its refinement. The difference in sharpness will not be enough to prevent getting cut be it a coarse edge or fine edge.

I had my first knife at 8 and was proficient at sharpening by 10, I got cut along the way, it happens when you play with knives. Teach well and hope for the best is all you can do.

Keeping dull knives around is teaching bad habits. The likelyhood of someone getting cut by sharp knives now increases because the forceful and haphazard techniques used with the dull knives. Once sharp, teach good techniques and habits, leave a positive impression of a sharp tool, to respect it but not fear it.

Post by 1623 »

Jason B. wrote:As a professional sharpener I can help with your dull knives, but no one will be able to fill the request of kinda sharp. When the Slopes of a bevel meet and form an apex the knife is sharp, the grit the edge is finished too gives it its refinement. The difference in sharpness will not be enough to prevent getting cut be it a coarse edge or fine edge.

I had my first knife at 8 and was proficient at sharpening by 10, I got cut along the way, it happens when you play with knives. Teach well and hope for the best is all you can do.

Keeping dull knives around is teaching bad habits. The likelyhood of someone getting cut by sharp knives now increases because the forceful and haphazard techniques used with the dull knives. Once sharp, teach good techniques and habits, leave a positive impression of a sharp tool, to respect it but not fear it.
Thank you for the reply, Jason.

What I was trying to convey is that yes, the knives should be sharp so they can effectively do their job with ease, but they don't need to push cut through tissue. Re-reading my post, it did sound like I was looking for a magic set of knives that only cut food and not fingers. :o
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Jason B.

Post by Jason B. »

Send me a pm, we'll get those old blades working like new again.