Why everyone should carry two (at least) knives for EDC

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackknifeh

Why everyone should carry two (at least) knives for EDC

Post by jackknifeh »

When I think of an EDC knife it's the knife that you never know what you will need to use it for. You may need it to cut the stray string from a garment or you may need it to remove mortar from between a couple of bricks looking for the largest treasure ever. :) Anyone remember Nicolas Cage and the Gerber? :D Anyway, you see the problem. You are carrying the holy grail you just got you won't want to use it for a lot of tasks you may run into during the day. So you need another knife to be somewhat of a beater knife. Even if the beater knife is still a very nice knife.

I think there are two reasons (at least) for carrying two or more. The first, more obvious reason is what I already mentioned. You don't want to mess up some knives. They are super knives because of the quality as well as beauty. Or whatever you like about it. The other reason is not as important. Have you ever been in a situation with a NKP and you need a knife for some lumberjack type of task and you won't use the beautiful Spyderco you got for your birthday from one of your children? Your friend knows you have a knife but won't use it because it's not the proper tool for the job. You may need to do some prying or whatever. Your NKP friend will think or say "why even have a knife you are not going to use?" In a lot of cases the argument for having a high quality, better cutting knife that may be pretty expensive is lost even if the loss is for the wrong reason. But, let's say you have the knife on you that you don't want to use and you also have a second one that you don't mind using to scrape calk off a cinder block. You pull that one out and get the job done. If your friend says "Why don't you use the super knife you brag about and showed everyone at work?". Then you can say "that's not the proper tool. That is for precise, accurate cutting. It's not a tool for scraping or prying. If the friend has any appreciation of tools in general he/she will appreciate that reasoning. And with that understanding he/she will (maybe) be more respectful of the knives people don't want to use for any old task. And anyone who REALLY appreciates tools will then NEED to have a high quality cutting only tool because these people need THEIR OWN tool. For a "tool nut" it's unacceptable for the "other guy" to have a tool he/she doesn't have. :) The following week he/she may come to work bragging about and showing everyone the new knife they just got. :D

Jack
enduraguy

Re: Why everyone should carry two (at least) knives for EDC

Post by enduraguy »

Yea I'm gonna buy an Emerson for such times. My Military, or Halo will remain my edc.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jack I"ve been saying virtually the same thing for years concerning the EDC carrying of at least 2 pocket folders>>> because I most of the time have one main EDC plain edge which today is my trusty C-60, G-10 handled Ayoob model>> I'm also carrying a companion blade as well>> today it is my rough-house 440V, full Spyderedged Native model. I've truly tried to destroy the NATIVE and I just can't seem to do it.

Most of the time however I usually have a fully serrated Hawkbill blade as a companion blade. Now I don't use the companion folder nearly as much as I do my main EDC much of the time but when I need a Spyderedged blade the Hawkbills do such a superb job. I love having the best of both Spyder-Worlds in my pocket daily.

It's not every job that needs a Spyderedge and it's not every cutting job that a Spyderedge works best on>> but when you do have a really rough cutting job where you need a Spyderedge I'm here to tell you that nothing else works nearly as good. And believe me I've used the **** out of plain edges. And Spyderedged Hawkbills are so good at what they do I would truly feel deficient without one. But at the same time I couldn't do without my main plain edged blade either.

But I''m a big believer in carrying at least two folders because there isn't a day that goes by that I don't use my serrated companion blade at least twice during the day and sometimes I'll use it a half a dozen times or more.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

JD Spydo wrote:Jack I"ve been saying virtually the same thing for years concerning the EDC carrying of at least 2 pocket folders>>> because I most of the time have one main EDC plain edge which today is my trusty C-60, G-10 handled Ayoob model>> I'm also carrying a companion blade as well>> today it is my rough-house 440V, full Spyderedged Native model. I've truly tried to destroy the NATIVE and I just can't seem to do it.

Most of the time however I usually have a fully serrated Hawkbill blade as a companion blade. Now I don't use the companion folder nearly as much as I do my main EDC much of the time but when I need a Spyderedged blade the Hawkbills do such a superb job. I love having the best of both Spyder-Worlds in my pocket daily.

It's not every job that needs a Spyderedge and it's not every cutting job that a Spyderedge works best on>> but when you do have a really rough cutting job where you need a Spyderedge I'm here to tell you that nothing else works nearly as good. And believe me I've used the **** out of plain edges. And Spyderedged Hawkbills are so good at what they do I would truly feel deficient without one. But at the same time I couldn't do without my main plain edged blade either.

But I''m a big believer in carrying at least two folders because there isn't a day that goes by that I don't use my serrated companion blade at least twice during the day and sometimes I'll use it a half a dozen times or more.
Your thinking and needs are the perfect reason for the Dyad models. I carry my new Dyad sprint as my secondary knife while normally I'll have a smaller, PE as my primary. In addition to being the knife I won't do potentially knife damaging tasks for I also want the primary knife to be in the size range for most of my needs (2.5" to 3"). While I like the Dyad for having the SE I don't think I want an EDC knife with just a SE. Therefore the Dyad can play the roll of both primary and secondary knife if it needs to. But I wouldn't consider it a beater knife. Actually, I don't have a Spyderco I'd use for the beater knife tasks. Without giving it much though I'd use a Cold Steel or my ESEE IZULA II if I wanted a fixed blade. That's the knife I used the other day to scrape some old caulk off a cinder block.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

1. I have had that same idea- the larger primary knife is a pretty nice knife and you don't want to get the edge dinged up or whatever. The smaller second knife should be a cheaper knife that you wouldn't mind doing dirty work with.

2. I have read that some people carry a larger nice knife that they will use themselves and a smaller second knife that they would loan out if a friend asks. And you never know what the friend might do with it.

3. I have also read that some people will carry the larger nice knife for some uses and a smaller second knife to use in front of people that might be frightened by the larger knife.

1. and 2. somewhat apply to me and I've tried a few times to carry a second knife, but failed because of all of the extra things that I carry in my pockets. Recently I bought a well used Dragonfly at a low price to experiment with carrying as a second knife. I carried it today and it worked well enough. The handle was beat up enough that most people would not pay much for it but the blade was in good shape except for being very dull. I sharpened it with my diamond stones and ended up with it being very sharp which will affect its use as a loaner. Some people don't exercise proper care when you tell them a knife is very sharp.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

bdblue wrote: Some people don't exercise proper care when you tell them a knife is very sharp.
This is true and exactly why I emphasize how sharp a knife is when I loan one. Actually, I had forgotten about having a knife on hand for a loaner. That shows how often I am asked to borrow my knife. Anyway, I enjoy it immensely when I tell someone "be careful, it's VERY sharp". They look like "yeah, yeah" but when they cut something I enjoy the look on their face and the comments they sometimes make. :)

I remember a story someone here told about someone they watched in a restaurant who opened his pocket knife about half way. Then to fully open it he put the blade edge on his leg and pushed down on the handle to finish opening it. It was obvious the knife was dull and he knew it. What I have wondered is did he know THAT knife was dull or did he just assume pocket knifes were all this dull. If so and he borrows one would he open it the same way? I bet most of the knives owned by knife people would have put a very nice slice in his pants and at least some damage to his leg before he figured he should stop pushing on the knife. :eek:

Jack
Barman

Post by Barman »

I carry two only when I'm carrying an extra large primary like the Tatanka. I'll slip in a secondary, friendly sized blade for the sensitive folks.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Never got in the habit of carrying two knives. Don't know why?? I guess I would forget I had two and use the EDC anyway. :D

The "knife loan" theory is reason enough to carry two. Beater, hummmm SnG, American Lawman, Avispa?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jack you are preaching to a very devout choir when speaking of the big C-44 Dyad model. The Dyad is Sal Glesser's best design ever in my personal opinion. I'm toying with the idea of EDCing the C-44 Dyad again soon and the only thing that keeps me from doing it is the fear of losing one of my precious Dyads. Because even the older ATS-55 Dyad C-44 model is one of my untouchable folders>> in other words I wouldn't sell it for any amount of money.

I've had a couple of the Dyad Juniors C-39 models and I even carried one of the Micarta Dyad Juniors but there is just something so awesome about the C-44 Dyad and it's the perfect size and it literally is TWO KNIVES In ONE FOLDER.

But don't dismiss the idea of having a serrated Hawkbill as a companion blade because there are a lot of cutting jobs that a pull cutting, Spyderedged knife can really do some mean jobs while saving your plain edge for more important jobs.

But again when it comes to "Companion Folders" I can't go through a day without carrying at least 2 different folders. But in all fairness I have a job which requires a lot of knife use. And it blows me away how many guys and gals I work with that want to use my folders all the time :rolleyes: but they won't get one for their own use and why??? I can't figure it out :confused:
Barman

Post by Barman »

gull wing wrote:Never got in the habit of carrying two knives. Don't know why?? I guess I would forget I had two and use the EDC anyway. :D

The "knife loan" theory is reason enough to carry two. Beater, hummmm SnG, American Lawman, Avispa?

I have something that I carry in my pocket sometimes for the "knife loan" occasion.
Generally when presented I fold down the pinky, ring, index, and thumb. What remains has a very concise point. ;)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Barman wrote:
gull wing wrote:Never got in the habit of carrying two knives. Don't know why?? I guess I would forget I had two and use the EDC anyway. :D

I have something that I carry in my pocket sometimes for the "knife loan" occasion.
Generally when presented I fold down the pinky, ring, index, and thumb. What remains has a very concise point. ;)
Not very pointy but that one gets the point across. :)

Sometimes people might get insulted if I don't let them use my knife. They think "I know how to use a knife!". But if I tell them what some of these knives cost they feel sorry for me and take pitty. :) Who could get mad at someone that dumb? :D

Jack
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I forgot about this earlier- if you are in a situation where you must have a knife, then the concept of "two is one, one is none" would apply. If you have one knife and something happens to it, then you have no knife and you are in trouble. Hence a good reason for a second.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

JD Spydo wrote:But again when it comes to "Companion Folders" I can't go through a day without carrying at least 2 different folders. But in all fairness I have a job which requires a lot of knife use. And it blows me away how many guys and gals I work with that want to use my folders all the time :rolleyes: but they won't get one for their own use and why??? I can't figure it out :confused:
Just make sure to borrow their pick-up trucks and go on rides on their boats whenever possible. You're just that friend that's into knives instead of that other stuff. On the balance, loaning out your knife every once in a while ain't to bad of a trade.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Agree Jack! That is why I love my SAK Pioneer or Farmer so much. I think it's the perfect secondary knife.

Discreet - even non-knife-people recognise a swiss army knife
Cheap to replace
Easy to carry
High quality, and stylish
Alox models are very sturdy
Multi functional: poke, scrape, pry, cut, unscrew etc
Very stainless
Easy to sharpen

(The same can probably said for many other multi-tools on the market)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I already carry at least two. I keep one for social work with the bad guys and the other for utility. I don't use my social carry for anything, in the interest of keeping it in tip top shape should I need it. The Utility gets all of that work. Today I have a Pacific Salt for utility and an brown FRN FFG Endura 4 with my initials engraved into it. I just got it about a week ago so I have been giving it some love. I think it is generally a good idea to carry two, if possible, as well as two guns, also if possible; A primary and a BUG. I don't always carry two guns when I'm off duty, but when I'm on, I always have two.
Here is my current pair
dewildeman

Post by dewildeman »

I justify carrying two (or more) several ways.
Hard use/light use.
Expensive knife/beater and or loner knife.
Two is one/one is none.
Because I can.
My loaner knife is usually and inexpensive one that I won't cry if it gets damaged. But, thanks to Spyderco, even my "inexpensive" knives are around $60-120 to replace. I don't loan out as much as I used too and am seriously considering getting a Swiss Army Knife to be my loaner.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I went camping and I carried four knives, two in each pocket. At times I felt nervous that one would fall out of my pocket, but it worked out. Why did I carry them, you ask? Just because it felt nice to have two of each, and they were new to me (found at a flea market in used, new condition). :)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I carry a pair with me 90% of the time. Mostly for enjoyment so I can have variety when out and about, but there have been occassional random cases where it came in very useful.
Going back to Caly.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I don't loan my knives unless I am the one doing what needs to be done!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
nahiiii

Post by nahiiii »

I've had a couple of the Dyad Juniors C-39 models and I even carried one of the Micarta Dyad Juniors but there is just something so awesome about the C-44 Dyad and it's the perfect size and it literally is TWO KNIVES In ONE FOLDER. But don't dismiss the idea of having a serrated Hawkbill as a companion blade because there are a lot of cutting jobs that a pull cutting, Spyderedged knife can really do some mean jobs while saving your plain edge for more important jobs. ??
USMAN