Springtime & blooms

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
noseoil

Springtime & blooms

Post by noseoil »

Went for a walk this morning north of Tucson. Was drawn to this cactus, an early blooming Hedge Hog. I was also wearing sun glasses, so my vision in the shadows was't very good. Special bonus from this shot was that I wasn't bitten due to the cold night temperatures we still have....

Do you see it?

Here's the enhanced image from the shaded area.

Enjoy (or God protects fools)!
Peter1960

Re: Springtime & blooms

Post by Peter1960 »

What a surprise! ... at first glance I searched for a pink Spydie :p
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Whoa. Now that would be a bad way to start your day. Glad you made it through safely. Is that a diamondback by chance?
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Pretty sure it's a western diamondback. They tend to be pretty nasty when it's warm out. Glad it was a cool morning after a cold night or it might have had a different outcome. Absolutely no noise from him, so it must have been too cold for him to buzz or strike.

The striking speed is measured at about 15 feet per second... In other words, if you're close enough there's no way you can move fast enough to get out of the way.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Funny you posted this. I saw a tv show the other night called something like "When animals attack", and they featured a young woman who was struck by a diamond back in Arizona. The woman was being filmed by her boyfriend picking tomato's and as she reached her hand in to get one the snake bit her. As she ran off to call for help the boyfriend filmed the snake so it could be identified by medical personnel. Later we saw her in hospital and her whole arm was completely swollen and the nurses had marked it every hour so they would know how much venom had been injected and so that they would know how much anti-venom to give her. Even though she was on a morphine drip for the pain she kept saying it felt like a colony of ants running through the flesh of her left arm and left side of her body.

Definitely a very dangerous animal that should be respected, stay safe :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon