Sanity check on unwanted visitors

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Re: Sanity check on unwanted visitors

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Next time just tell her to piss off and get out of your yard.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Essexman wrote:You know where she lives, pop over, take a walk around her garden, see what she has to say?
Hah, I LOVE this idea! I don't know which house is hers... I only see he trolling the neighborhood like a stray cat. But if I could find where she lived... That would be hilarious... Walk around her yard, then when she asks me what I'm doing, explain that whole "goose/gander" thing.
JD Spydo wrote:every state has different liability laws and it's up to you to know them unfortunately>> and check your homeowner's insurance to make sure your covered in the event you would need additional coverage. Be very careful with that swimming pool my friend :(
Very good advice. I will look into this. Thank you. I've also already planned to have outdoor cameras installed.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

"Good fences make good neighbors."

Robert Frost.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

I've always thought that good people made good neighbors. I do get the point. A fence is not an option at this point because construction is ongoing. And I can't enclose my whole property in a fence--it can only go as far forward as the mid-point of my house.

Yesterday I looked out my window and saw a guy looking at the pool. I ran downstairs fast enough to injure myself, and confronted him, ready for battle. Fortunately, it was a county inspector. I wish he had given me the courtesy of ringing my bell first.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Like I stated before.. I live on a corner lot.. There was road construction going on and my road was part of the detour.. They placed detour signs in my yard.. I kept removing them and placing them in a pile across the street from me.. This went on for a week or so as they would come by and re-install the signs in my yard.. I would remove them.. So.. One day after removing the signs, I get a knock on my door.. It was the contractor and he wanted to know why I was removing HIS signs?? I asked him if he asked me for permission to put the signs in my yard.. He just looked at me, walked away and moved the signs across the street.. They stayed there until the road detour was done.. John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

There's no right-of-way area where he could have put the signs? I wouldn't have a choice about the placing of the signs due to the easement/right-of-way being there next to the street.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

My yard/grass goes right to the pavement.. He tried to tell me there is 25ft easement that they could use.. I told him to show me or hit the road.. The road is where my property line ends so its my property.. The thing is that if they would have asked in the beginning, I would have said ok!! But I was miffed at the way they went about it!! Yeah.. I know.. John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

jmh58 wrote:he thing is that if they would have asked in the beginning, I would have said ok!! But I was miffed at the way they went about it!! Yeah.. I know.. John :)
The thing is, this is usually the case. When it comes to people, if you just ASK them, oftentimes they're more than willing to help you out. It's when you take advantage of them, or surprise them with stuff that they feel the need to defend their territory or property.

My gym is open most of the time, and sometimes people wander in who definitely shouldn't be in there. One time a guy who was probably homeless asked me for some water, and I gave him a bottle of water out of our fridge. Now, it was partially to get him out of there, but he acknowledged me and made a reasonable request. If he had just walked in and without acknowledging me walked straight to our fridge and grabbed a water, I would have thrown him out by the scruff of the neck and maybe even called the police.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

^ Reminds me of interactions I've had with homeless/vagrants. They've always been more respectful than "regular" people. Of course, they always want something ... but then again, so does everyone, including the idiot I mentioned in my opening post.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

You should look up the term attractive nuisance. If you have a pool, most insurance companies require you to have a fence for it because pools are considered in almost all jurisdictions to be an attractive nuisance. The lady demonstrates why insurance companies require fences on pools.

My neighbors when I was a kid suffered drunk people breaking into their pool (fenced), and one of the trespassers drown. They spent many years and dollars fighting lawsuits because the family of the drunk trespasser tried to hold them liable for the death, and initially the state sided with the drunk trespasser's family.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

The pool is still being constructed. A fence will definitely be going up, as they are required by law in my area.

I find it frustrating and astonishing that a homeowner could ever be considered even 0.0000001% responsible for the death of ANYONE who was trespassing, child or adult. It's ridiculous. Even if my own child was stupid enough to drown after trespassing while drunk, I wouldn't think of trying to hold the homeowners accountable. I'd be ashamed.