Sanity check on unwanted visitors

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Knutty

Sanity check on unwanted visitors

Post by Knutty »

Just a random "Should this bother me?" question.

My wife and I are having a pool put in. It's to be an in-ground pool, in the back yard of course. I normally work from home but today I had to go out to get something. When I returned, a neighbor was on my property, walking from the back yard to the front. I may have met her a long time ago, but I don't know her. So, it's not a next-door neighbor or a good friend type of person.

She said "I see you're having a pool put in!" and I just said "Yep."

It bothered me a bit. I would never go on someone's property (other than the driveway and front stop obviously) without permission. Am I crazy for thinking this was rude and inappropriate? (Mind you, I'm not saying it was the crime of the century.)
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
bearfacedkiller

Re: Sanity check on unwanted visitors

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It sucks but nosey neighbors are just a part of life. I have lived every where from a big city to the smallest most rural township and it is everywhere. If you want privacy you need to pay for it by buying a big enough piece of property and preferably one with a lot of trees on it and a long driveway. I have dobies so people don't usually wander onto my property but what you can't control is what people see from the road.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yea I woulda been pissed, my parts it's called trespassing. One of the reasons I have a 6ft chain link fence and a 110lb GSD that's particular about who he let's into his yard.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Sorry to say but I would have asked her why she wanted to know then get off my property.. I live on a corner lot and anytime I catch someone cutting the corner I let them know!!! I don't walk on their yard so don't walk on mine!! RESPECT apparently needs to be reminded to these souls!!
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I don't think you're crazy at all, I would agree that she was out of line to go traipsing around someone else's back yard, especially where work was taking place. I generally err on the side of caution when it comes to other people's property, and even if someone says "make yourself at home" I don't grab the remote and start changing the channel.

I also tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, and try not to assume malice. You never know, maybe it was totally unlike her, and she knocked and waited and since no one was there she just couldn't contain her curiosity and only popped back there for a second. However, I would imagine this sort of person would have acknowledged the potential affront and apologized profusely. If it were to happen again, I would just calmly explain your expectations regarding visitors to your property, and maybe even indicate to her where your property actually does start (if it isn't obvious).
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

Be friendly but not familiar (Ben Franklin ? ) , thereby not enabling this kind of bad behavior or worse in the future. I guess another way put would be that there is a fine line between friendliness and allowing someone to take advantage of it. (I've faced this scenario before.) Perhaps you should make it clear in a respectful manner that she is not to wander around your back yard in the future without your permission. Unfortunately, people will sometimes attempt to throw their weight around - if not checked by a likewise assertive response.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Thanks for the relies. I can handle myself. If anything, I tend to go overboard with my responses, and I am an ... uh ... passionate person, so I often have strong feelings about things. My downfall is when people surprise me (as was the case here), I am often slow to react.

Just wanted to know if my feelings were off-base on this one. :)
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
HorserloverFat

Post by HorserloverFat »

I forgot to add that for reasons with regard to insurance liability she shouldn't be wandering around during the construction of the swimming pool. What if she were to fall ? Would she try to sue you ? Make sure that you protect yourself against this unwanted scenario !
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

^ Good point. I think they were supposed to put up a temporary construction fence, but they didn't. I would hope that an adult who should have known better would have no standing to win a lawsuit under these circumstances (read: it's your own stupid fault), but I do remember this is the USA, where people get rich for spilling coffee on themselves.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Is she old? Lived there a long time? In my experiences that are similar it is someone who thinks they are entitled to snoop based on living there a long time. I have a few now that miss NOTHING in the neighborhood. I would go over and say "sorry if I was short with you, I don't usually tolerate folks on my property. I will invite you back when it is finished if you would like another look. Again, sorry if I scared you or seemed put off, I just am protective of my property when I see someone I don't know"...or something like that. Or you could just let it go if she seems harmless enough. She got busted being a snoop, she knows you were not thrilled.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not at all crazy. A man's home is his castle, if there's anything left in the world that's sacred man space, it's his yard.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

twinboysdad wrote:Is she old? Lived there a long time? In my experiences that are similar it is someone who thinks they are entitled to snoop based on living there a long time. I have a few now that miss NOTHING in the neighborhood. I would go over and say "sorry if I was short with you, I don't usually tolerate folks on my property. I will invite you back when it is finished if you would like another look. Again, sorry if I scared you or seemed put off, I just am protective of my property when I see someone I don't know"...or something like that. Or you could just let it go if she seems harmless enough. She got busted being a snoop, she knows you were not thrilled.
She's about 50 I guess, and I've been there longer than here (and longer than most other people as well). I didn't tell her off.

God help the next person who does it though. :)
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Well.. Having lived on a corner lot since 1981 my tolerance has diminished a great deal for trespassing.. I have a few old cars in my garage and if someone pulls up my driveway and wants to talk old cars, I am good with that.. DONT walk or drive thru my yard though!! She had no business in your yard so.... Gotta look at another way to.. Was she checking up on you to later make a stink?? John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

There are also no shortage of crazy 50 year old women in this world...FACT
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I feel like here in Colorado people are well armed and as a result this is less common, or at least it makes me hesitant.

I do not trespass because having a gun drawn on me is not my idea of a good time.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
paladin

Post by paladin »

Knutty when she said "...Looks like you're installing a pool..."

You could have given her a SmartA** answer like "No it's actually for testing ballistics for my arsenal!" * as you draw your .45 and rack the slide :eek: :rolleyes:
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'm chained to a desk these days, but spent years on a landscape installation crew. Something about an active job site seems to make people think they can just walk right in and look around, ask a bunch dopey/obvious questions, generally be in the way, etc... Obnoxious.
:spyder:
Barman

Post by Barman »

Shoulda asked her if she wanted to go for a dip. Image

But actually she's probably (depending on proximity) assessing the future issues of noise and other things she can complain to council about.
Better have your permits in order.
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

Oh, we dotted our I's and crossed our T's. She can't do squat. And we're one of the most quiet and respectful houses in the neighborhood. I'm not a big fan of noise or excitement for that matter, so that won't be an issue.

And the idiot president of our HOA dumped lots of sand on my property, and damaged two of my irrigation system spray heads (long story), so I almost want them to come after me for something. :)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Did she throw any cats at you?