Water Filter Question

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Water Filter Question

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I did read some of the old threads about water filters but I have a question:

When it comes to a water filter pitcher, like Brita or other brands, and the filter you attach directly to a faucet, what do you all recommend for someone who wants a filter (for drinking water and cooking water, not washing water) that is decent quality but mostly inexpensive, both for the initial filter itself, and, the replacement filters?

I was looking at the Brita brand water pitcher filters and there were mixed reviews; some like them alot, others say they can collect mold over time if not extremely cleaned up, and, can leak.

Again, this would be for drinking water and cooking water, for home use.
Barman

Re: Water Filter Question

Post by Barman »

I've got the Brita unit that goes on the faucet and it works well.
I've seen a few complaints about leakage (it's the internet, who's going to log in to rave about their cheap faucet filter not leaking?) but mine works great and the filters seem to last forever. YMMV
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Get Berkey. Not cheap but no filter refills
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Skidoosh wrote:Get Berkey. Not cheap but no filter refills
I do also like the British Berkfeld gravity/ceramic water filter. The Berkey is a great unit and time tested over the years. Now there is also another great gravity fed, ceramic water filter made right here in Missouri USA. It is the AquaRain unit. I've had one for close to 10 years now and I just love it. It's actually rated somewhat better than the Berkey as far as micron filtering.

I usually change ceramic filters on mine about once a year or so and it really makes clean, great tasting water. Most tap water everywhere now is disgusting to say the least. Now for portable units there are two of them that I like>> one being the Swiss made Katadyn and the other the USA made MSR unit.

Once you start drinking clean water you won't want to drink from the tap anymore.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I bought a Big Berkey recently, like it a lot. It is maybe a bit of an overkill for what you want, it's rated as a "water purifier", not a "water filter", so in theory you do not need to boil contaminated water after treatment like you need to with other filters.

http://www.waterfilterlabs.com/Big-Berk ... sults.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

I used to use Brita charcoal water filters in the Brita pitchers. I kept them in the refrigerator, and never had a problem with mold. I think mold would be a bigger issue at room temp than in the refrigerator.

When I lived up North I had a Culligan water system. A big water-softening tank of salt, and a series of filters for drinking and cooking water. I regret not taking that with me when I moved. Now I have water so hard you can practically juggle with it, and it smells and tastes awful, and don't even tell me it doesn't have harmful contaminants. Gotta get a water system installed again.
"We have more metal parts fail than plastic parts. Modern plastics are tough. 'Feeling cheap' may be a false perception and one might need more education. We rarely get a FRN knife back with handle problems and we have millions of them out in daily use. " --Sal Glesser
valerie

Post by valerie »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I did read some of the old threads about water filters but I have a question:

When it comes to a water filter pitcher, like Brita or other brands, and the filter you attach directly to a faucet, what do you all recommend for someone who wants a filter (for drinking water and cooking water, not washing water) that is decent quality but mostly inexpensive, both for the initial filter itself, and, the replacement filters?

I was looking at the Brita brand water pitcher filters and there were mixed reviews; some like them alot, others say they can collect mold over time if not extremely cleaned up, and, can leak.

Again, this would be for drinking water and cooking water, for home use.
Hey SpyderEdgeForever :)

There are different types of filters which people use only for cooking and drinking purposes but there are also filters which are uniquely used for washing purpose.I recently got a shower head water filter from http://www.top5watersofteners.com/and this purifies the water needed for washing and bathing and helps top prevent the clogging of the pipelines due to salted water.

Regards
Valerie Sabin
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you Valerie! I appreciate your response and this has great information.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I really suggest you go to Multi-pure.com and check out their filters...a bit pricey but worth the money...It is the filter they use on most airlines and American Embassy across the World...One of the few companies that still does constant R&D. And Most importantly it is a Solid Carbon Block Filter...not like a Britta with loose carbon granules...The problem with the Loose Carbon is the water does not pass thru the filter, but sits in the carbon granules and when you draw your next water...it's already contaminated, so the filter does nothing cept cost you money...The Multi-Pure Filters are solid carbon block and the water must be forced to go through the filter every time...the taste of the water is incredible as it's takes out everything, chemicals, metals, fluoride, carcinogens, etc...you'll never want to drink anything else. They do make a model which can be hooked up under the sink and to the lines of your ice maker in your frig...They also make an over the counter model in plastic and stainless steel that you can travel with and it comes with multiple fittings that can hook it up to any sink, in any country around the world when traveling. I never go to Mexico without one. It can also hook up to your Recreation Vehicle or any garden Hose...check it out....you won't be sorry....Doc:)
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Living somewhat near Flint, MI, I just drink it straight. Makes my hair thicker and voice deeper. Real man's heavy metal water, you know.
Going back to Caly.
valerie

Post by valerie »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Thank you Valerie! I appreciate your response and this has great information.

Hey SpyderEdgeforever :)
You are Welcome !

Regards
Valerie Sabin
HelloTokyo

Post by HelloTokyo »

I used to have a Brita water filter pitcher, and didn't trust it at all to do its job. I replaced it with a reverse osmosis system, which isn't as expensive as some might think. Filters only cost about $60 a year, and it does a great job at filtering. I've also heard amazing things about Berkey filters, but I've never experienced them for myself. I'd steer clear of Brita filters though!
There's info on reverse osmosis systems at https://waterfilteranswers.com/what-is- ... is-system/
murzilka2016

Post by murzilka2016 »

The only thing I do not like about Berkley filters is how big they are)) I’d have to take up space on the counter with one. Maybe one will need a cabinet specifically for the Berkey…and my old Brita filtered water so slowly…

Now I enjoy AQ-4000W countertop filter and it’s around 70 bucks on Amazon. Some popular brands reviews and how to choose filters here - http://rohelper.com/purifier/ Although, this site is mainly about RO systems, these brands make other options also. My Aquasana is not RO filter
Nizam

Post by Nizam »

Compare to other countries; drinking water in the USA is generally high quality. Nevertheless, in the USA, there are 316 contaminants in tap water, according to research from the Environmental Working Group. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) of US, sets enforceable standards to protect public health. More information in this http://purwaterfilters.org/.
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

I live in a hard water area of the UK. When I had the kitchen renovated I had a Brita under counter filter system fitted. It was a reasonable price, is unobtrusive and has reasonable running costs. I use the filtered water for all drinks(hot or cold) and most cooking. I now have to descale the kettle once a year rather than once every two weeks, no mineral ring around the pots etc. As I am prone to kidney stones, the lower the level of minerals in my potable water the better I like it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Back in the USA I have always had good water straight from the tap. But over here, water quality is questionable and the water often brown (you should see my formerly white T-shirts!). So, we have a filter that is on our kitchen sink. We installed a separate tap to use for drinking and it is part of the sink. The filter has a ceramic cone that filters the big dirty stuff. Then inside the case (all this is under the sink cabinet) there are six more filters that take out everything and then make the water alkaline. We now have a filter for the washer and we are getting one soon for the shower. Anyway, our sink contraption really works. The only thing that fills the glass is pure, slightly alkaline, water and no impurities.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
davidmoyer

Post by davidmoyer »

Hey SpyderEdgeForever :) , there are so many brands in market so its really hectic to choose your best product; here I found something helpful to you, Do visit once http://waterfilterscenter.com/best-wate ... iews-2016/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Welcome to the Forum, David.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

We use the Chrome Brita Faucet Filtration System. Overall, it works fine, although I believe the hard water around here messes up the unit over a period of time, thus requiring replacement. At one time, we used the White Brita Faucet Filtration System... seemed like that unit lasted a little longer, but that was at a diferent house.

For both systems, the filters provided what I would consider a reasonable amount of use before needing replacement.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you, David, thank you very much for the link!