Another serration/serrated blade question

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Another serration/serrated blade question

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am sure you have all seen those "never need sharpening" knives over the years, generally on the infomercial type knives, but on others, too.
In my own experience with them, they DO dull eventually, and when they do, they tend to rip and tear instead of properly cut food and other materials. I'd like your views and opinions on them: Is this a pure marketing gimmick with no basis in reality, or, could a high-quality version (using current technology) of these be made to work, or no?

Notice the serrations on these "NNS" (never need sharpening) knives tend to be very close together, instead of scalloped, and there does not appear to be any room for a sharpening rod to get between them.

Here is a pictorial example:

http://www.cyberbrands.com/pub/ginsu.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I once went to one of those discount stores and in their kitchen supply section, they had a pair of kitchen shears for sale at 1.99 They were made in China or Pakistan, and on the label it said "Super Formula Stainless Steel", or something like that, and said "Best Quality" and "Will Cut Anything".

What I do notice, though, is that even some famous name-brands such as Henckels and others have both made-in Europe versions and a cheaper class of knives and scissors and shears made in China and other places, but, with their name on it.

As a side note, I am very pleased that Spyderco's knives that are made in China have great quality control: I have a Spyderco Byrd and it is a great knife with good edge-power, and, a positive lock. I'm still considering getting a Tenacious.
JD Spydo

Re: Another serration/serrated blade question

Post by JD Spydo »

Don't even get me started on that infomercial grade crap "SpyderEDGEForever" :mad: I know you're probably just curious but those GINSU knives and "Vegematic" food processors they used to sell made me physically ill just watching them. I was amazed when I discovered how many people were sucker enough to actually buy the crap. There is no such thing as a knife that will stay sharp for life>> barring science discovering a material that would do that later down the road>> but just the fact that most of that infomercial crap is so cheap price wise as well gives me a strong indication that it's crap to begin with.

When it comes to quality there are no shortcuts and genuine bargains are far and few between. Any product sold on a late night infomercial has automatically got me doubtful. It goes with what P.T. Barnum said years ago>> I really don't even have to quote it do I ? But I will for the sake of those who are curious>> "There's A Sucker Born Every Minute" ( P.T. Barnum)

No disrespect intended but there are few things that boil my blood more than rip-off artists.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

To be fair, the right serration pattern on a knife that is only ever used to cut food will stay sharp for many years (sharp enough to continue cutting food that is). That said, not even a ceramic blade stays sharp forever, even if you had a serrated ceramic blade (which I'm not even sure exists).
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Yes I agree, those things are junk. Its sad that so many people buy them or I wonder how many really do?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Yes I agree, those things are junk. Its sad that so many people buy them or I wonder how many really do?
Ceramic blades have their place. If you do nothing but light kitchen prep they'll stay sharp almost indefinitely as long as you take care of the edge and don't ding it on things.
christopher

Post by christopher »

Anyone else tired of the "serrated" knives in restaurants these days? Even the separate knives presented for the slicing of a piece of good beef. I was tempted to offer my services to sharpen them, but maybe they are afraid of putting a knife that sharp in the hands of an average customer. (Those who test the sharpness of a knife by running their finger along the edge.) Oh well, I'll just keep sending them back until I get one that is not as dull as the others.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

christopher wrote:Anyone else tired of the "serrated" knives in restaurants these days? Even the separate knives presented for the slicing of a piece of good beef. I was tempted to offer my services to sharpen them, but maybe they are afraid of putting a knife that sharp in the hands of an average customer. (Those who test the sharpness of a knife by running their finger along the edge.) Oh well, I'll just keep sending them back until I get one that is not as dull as the others.

Eh, I usually rip the bread since it comes almost pre sliced, and if my steak isn't tender enough that I can pull it apart with 2 forks, I'm not happy anyway lol.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Now I do love Spyderco's older serration patterns they used on the original full SE Catcherman model and on the original K-04 & K-05 models. Those were more of a wavy, more rounded type of serration which had more of a slicing action to them rather than the spikey serrations on many of the Japan made Spyders you see recently.

Not all serrations are created equal by any means. Serrations that can't be sharpened or maintained are truly useless trash IMO.

There are other commercial knife companies that do have decent serrations even though nobody out there comes close to the Great Spyder Factory IMO.

Knife companies like Victorinox, F. Dick, Wustof, and J.A. Henckels are have a decent performing serrated edge. I'm always keeping my eyes open to see if any company ever does try to seriously compete with Spyderco on serrated knives. So far few have even made a half hearted attempt at it unfortunately.