Knives at Disneyland?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Knivesinedc

Knives at Disneyland?

Post by Knivesinedc »

Hey Guys and Gals. So this week my family and I are going to Disneyland and I'm a tad concerned about going into the park with a blade. With all these idiotic new "security' rules prevent easy entry with any kind of weapon, I suppose, it could be a bit difficult entering with a clipped knife and I read a few stories on BF about people being stopped for BS things like SAK classics on the keys. But anyway, I was thinking I would carry my Tenacious clipped to the inside of my waistband or deep carry. I prefer having my blades clipped but if necessary ill carry it deep pocket. Has anyone had any problems with amusement parks and blades?
MattM68

Re: Knives at Disneyland?

Post by MattM68 »

I can't help you about Disneyland, however, I've had no problems at Cedar Point. At Cedar Point(Sandusky, OH), there are no metal detectors, and no specific rules about weapons AFAIK. Since the park is Disney, I'd be pretty cautious, as it's more kid oriented.

I wish we could change the mindset of people who view knives as weapons, not tools. Everyone who's seen my Delica thinks it's a huge knife... :( It's just annoying how we have to worry so much about legality for a simple tool we carry.

Good luck! Hopefully you don't have a problem! :)
Matt

EDIT: I did a quick Google search and found a few people in your situation. It seems like most people had no problems. Put it in your waistband or throw it in your pocket, and you should be good to go! I would avoid clipping it to your pocket though.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Realize that rules can change in 5 years, and that there's no guarantee the rules are the same in all of Disney's parks, but you might want to look at this thread.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I know that at Disneyworld a couple years ago they check our bags, but not our person. That's the best I remember it anyways.
Invective

Post by Invective »

I used to go to Disneyland a few times a month and would usually carry inside the park. Getting through security wasn't much of a problem, they just look through any bags you have so as long as the knife isn't visible on your person you should be golden. I never got hassled once. I would usually just drop my knife into my watch pocket in my jeans and not worry about it the rest of the day. In all the times I was at Disneyland, I never once needed a knife, but it would've felt weird without one.

A couple times I just went in with a FlatByrd loose in my pocket behind my iphone, but I was always scared it would fall out of my pocket on rides so I wouldn't recommend it.

Alternatively, if you've got a small enough knife, you can carry it in your wallet like so!

I started clipping it to one of the credit card pockets like this my last few times and even when I was paying for things, either they didn't notice or didn't care. And the CoPilot is thin and small enough it didn't bulge out anymore than a few receipts and bills would. And if you've got a Costanza wallet, you won't feel a thing!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I went to Disney World last year, the advice I found online was to carry inside your pocket while going through security, then carry normal inside. That's what I did. I had a PPT and a Dragonfly Salt SE on me.

I know that California rules are different than Florida, though.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Donut wrote:I went to Disney World last year, the advice I found online was to carry inside your pocket while going through security, then carry normal inside. That's what I did. I had a PPT and a Dragonfly Salt SE on me.
I bet Donald Duck didn't mess with you :D

Roasted duck and potatos, mmmm :p
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Donut

Post by Donut »

I thought Donald Duck was on Looney Toons.

Yeah, I had zero trouble there, I could have carried something much less substantial.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm pretty dang sure you could get through security just by dropping it in your pocket. That said, if the clip is spotted later by security I have no idea the penalty for having a pocket knife in the park.

IMHO, I would completely abstain from carrying or bring something very small your willing to "donate" in event questioned. A Ladybug for example.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Blerv wrote:I'm pretty dang sure you could get through security just by dropping it in your pocket. That said, if the clip is spotted later by security I have no idea the penalty for having a pocket knife in the park.

IMHO, I would completely abstain from carrying or bring something very small your willing to "donate" in event questioned. A Ladybug for example.
Yeah, I thought about clipping my tenacious under the tail of my shirt inside my waistband about 4 or 5 o clock but, ehh, its a pretty uncomfortable place to clip a blade for me. I also believe that the seizure of private property is up to law enforcement, not park security. I thought I was reading that if they were to take anything off your person that it could be considered theft of private property but I'm not 100% positive. Ill most likely just carry my dfly. The wire clip is very inconspicuous and I have been asked if it was a pen clipped to my pocket twice.

Post by 1623 »

We went in October 2013 and after realizing on the previous trip that it wouldn't be an issue, I brought my Squeak with me. That said, I was still very cautious when using it in a park. Nice thing about a small Spydie like that is being able to conceal it almost entirely in hand while using it. I also kept it clipped to the cargo pocket of my shorts which kept it very well hidden.

The only time I was questioned about anything was entering Magic Kingdom. My wife and kids were in line having their back packs checked when the security guard next to us said "excuse me sir, what's that clipped to your pocket?" I realized he was looking at my left pocket and when I removed my Streamlight Micro Stream light he smiled, pulled his Micro Stream out and said "Great light isn't it? I use mine all the time." I agreed, we chatted for a moment about how handy it is and we went on our way. :)

Enjoy your trip and be safe.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Knivesinedc wrote:Yeah, I thought about clipping my tenacious under the tail of my shirt inside my waistband about 4 or 5 o clock but, ehh, its a pretty uncomfortable place to clip a blade for me. I also believe that the seizure of private property is up to law enforcement, not park security. I thought I was reading that if they were to take anything off your person that it could be considered theft of private property but I'm not 100% positive. Ill most likely just carry my dfly. The wire clip is very inconspicuous and I have been asked if it was a pen clipped to my pocket twice.
I think the carry logic makes sense. Always better to be discrete if possible. I think I carried my knife in my coat pocket as it was not "visible" but also available. Regardless, a Dragonfly is extremely sensible. I used to carry one when I worked part-time at Starbucks and that had a very strict "no weapons policy"; my manager even borrowed it on multiple occasions.

I'm not sure how Disney's laws are written. I know like a movie theater if it's private property they can get away with certain rules that wouldn't hold up in public property (with exception of certain places, gov buildings, parks, schools, etc). If they can prove someone has a weapon and is refusing stowing or forfeiting it they might be even able to detain the person until authorities arrive.

For all those cards to fall correctly (or incorrectly) though it would have to be seen, questioned, and then met with belligerence. Not exactly your style. =)
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Blerv wrote:
Knivesinedc wrote:Yeah, I thought about clipping my tenacious under the tail of my shirt inside my waistband about 4 or 5 o clock but, ehh, its a pretty uncomfortable place to clip a blade for me. I also believe that the seizure of private property is up to law enforcement, not park security. I thought I was reading that if they were to take anything off your person that it could be considered theft of private property but I'm not 100% positive. Ill most likely just carry my dfly. The wire clip is very inconspicuous and I have been asked if it was a pen clipped to my pocket twice.
I think the carry logic makes sense. Always better to be discrete if possible. I think I carried my knife in my coat pocket as it was not "visible" but also available. Regardless, a Dragonfly is extremely sensible. I used to carry one when I worked part-time at Starbucks and that had a very strict "no weapons policy"; my manager even borrowed it on multiple occasions.

I'm not sure how Disney's laws are written. I know like a movie theater if it's private property they can get away with certain rules that wouldn't hold up in public property (with exception of certain places, gov buildings, parks, schools, etc). If they can prove someone has a weapon and is refusing stowing or forfeiting it they might be even able to detain the person until authorities arrive.

For all those cards to fall correctly (or incorrectly) though it would have to be seen, questioned, and then met with belligerence. Not exactly your style. =)
Very true. I love my dfly so much. it was my first spydie. I am a SE fanatic though so my only wish is that I had an SE Dfly.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

We now have Emergency Rooms at major hospitals here in Kansas City that won't let you in even with the most simple or short bladed pocket knives :mad: . A year or so ago when one of my knee surgeries went haywire on me and my neighbor took me to the ER at KU Med Center they said that they would have to throw my knife in the trash with no possibility of getting it back unless I took it back out to the car we came in and I could barely walk and was in major league pain that night beyond belief. Thank GOD the Lady that brought me took it back to her car. It was my Burgundy ZDP-189 Caly Jr. and there isn't any way I was going to give an icon Spyderco folder like that to some single digit I. Q. security guard who got to play the role of "bully" for the first time in his life :rolleyes: And he was sure acting like Barney Fife on bad dope as well :eek:

OK guys I know he had a job to do and was following his bosse's orders but rudeness and Madamme Onassis arogance is not part of anyone's job period :mad: Especially over a mundane folder like the Caly Jr for GOD sakes :mad:

But I don't know what to tell you about Disneyland or any other major amusement park for that matter. The last time I went to "Worlds Of Fun" here in Kansas City, MO USA no one at all bugged me about my folders. But be advised it would probably be safer if you didn't take it into Mickey Mouse land just to be on the safe side.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:I thought Donald Duck was on Looney Toons.

Yeah, I had zero trouble there, I could have carried something much less substantial.
No Brother Donut it's Daffy Duck that's on Looney Toons>> I know because I used to be addicted to Looney Toons cartoons at one time. Yeah Daffy and Bugs Bunny go back a ways in my life. But Donald is a Disney Icon just like Mickey Mouse is. Just thought you would like to know. And I doubt if Donald or Mickey give a rat's behind about a simple folder either :D
Donut

Post by Donut »

They're usually carrying a shotgun or a cleaver in cartoons anyways. :)

Oh, I try to carry a kubaton type object when going to crowded places. A Surefire pen or 47's Preon Penlight. I just got a ZT pen with a carbide tip on it. I always feel a little better when carrying a carbide tip to places that I don't know well.

I agree with 1623 on carrying something very small for use around people where you can hide it. Dragonfly (my choice) or squeak or pingo style.

Getting some khaki cargo shorts helps me a ton with being able to be prepared.

There are some things that are questionable. You are on private property, they have security, it kind of goes that the security can make their own rules. There was once the owner of a knife store that told a story where they were invited to a local bar. The security guard asked if they had any knives on them, they were carrying one of the most valuable Paramilitary Sprints and admitted that they were carrying a knife that was special to them. The security guard said they could either forfeit the knife or not be allowed in. (I think this is abuse of power and trying to steal from the bar's customers.) They went out to their car and was pretty pissed off. They went back to the security guard and gave them a spyderco bug, told them that it was the knife they were carrying and left the Para in their car.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I clipped an orange Pingo to my shorts and had a LBHB on my keys. Neither would have been a "trip ruiner" if confiscated. I made no effort to hide or cover the Pingo at all and never ran into the first problem...nor did I cut anything at the Magic Kingdom. Hotel room was a different story and Pingo did loads of food and snack prep
remnar

Post by remnar »

The official answer can be found here.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/pa ... ted-items/

And of course it's a no go on knives.