The real Mastiff

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Mastiff

The real Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

As some of you know Finn the mastiff is the real mastiff, not me.

Finn Bear passed away Tuesday night 2/3/15 at around 2330 hrs. He was a few months past his 13th birthday. At his peak he was around 220 lbs , 35-36 inches at the shoulder with a 36 inch neck. His age was equal to a hundred and twenty to 130 year old human according to his vet. She nor I had never seen that large of a dog live that long.I had a terrier live 20 years but that is very different. The average lifespan of large male not fixed pure bred English Mastiffs being 6-8 years. My last one Hunter made only 6 years before going of stomach bloat. A terrible way to go. Finn went by euthanasia after having a stroke while resting upstairs with me watching TV. He was well taken care of and never really suffered and was alert and still able to talk in his own way to me when he laid down using my leg like pillow as usual for his last rest. He seemed happy as he fell asleep with me, and my son who had come over to help me carry him to the car and take him to the clinic. ( My son is a great guy by the way). He didn't seem stressed and up to the very end remained stoic and affectionate, and calm as always knowing he was with me.

Jim, I always appreciate how nicely you treated finny when you'd come over to visit. He liked you and always seemed to really enjoy seeing you.

Anyway, I thought I'd put the question to my online friends. Should I now change my name now the real mastiff is no longer here?

Should I keep "The Mastiff" as my login? I sure don't make any claims to having the attributes of a mastiff. I'm not even close in fact. :)

Joe
eidah

Re: The real Mastiff

Post by eidah »

Sorry to hear that my friend. That is too harsh for me.
After going through it twice when I was a kid, I cant have pets for that very reason. Its a heart break when they die.
I think you should keep the name in memory.
Will get another dog?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Sorry to hear about your loss Joe. Dogs have always been part of my life and they are more like family than pets. It's always sad to lose one of them. I'm into Great Danes (relatives of the Mastiff) so I know how it goes with the larger breeds. My last dog made it to just shy of 10 and it took me about 2 years after that to get another one. My current dog is coming up to 6.5 and he is fighting fit (only 185lbs) but I do worry about him a bit now. I have had him since he was 2 months old and he's never left my side. I reckon you should stay as the Mastiff not just as a legacy to Finn but to let some of the posters on here know that your bite is much stronger than your bark :)

here is my dog Homer (like the cartoon character he loves his food and occasional drop of ale)

Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Sorry to hear that...really. I love dogs and usually find them more tolerable than humans. Worst part of being a dog lover is we so often tend to outlive them. :(. As far as the handle, if Finn could speak and you had asked him if you should carry on using his handle what would he have said?
paladin

Post by paladin »

I empathize with your loss Joe...

To lose a friend that loved you unconditionally is one of the toughest things to endure and a lot of us have been there with you, brother...

Thanks for sharing with us and helping us bear a little of your burden...

Personally, I've always known you as "The Mastiff" & if you're asking for opinions ( it seems you are )...I'd like you to keep it...

Either way, you well know everyone here on the boards will support you in your decision...

Keep chuggin along Joe, it's tough but you best know how Finn would want you to be....keep posting your thoughts please :)
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Joe, I'm very sorry to hear this news. I say keep the name as a tribute to a good friend. You were indeed lucky to have had a being stay so long with you & your family, there must have been a reason. I vote to get a new dog, once you're ready. tim
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Joe,

I read the title in the "new posts" and I knew before I opened the thread. It is a sad day to learn that Finn is gone. We can be comforted in the fact that he is no longer suffering with his condition. Those that know you and your relationship with him are well aware how much he was loved. You have always done whatever needed to be done for Finn, even at a cost of your own personal sacrifices. To all us us here Joe, you will always be The Mastiff, I wouldn't even give a name change a second thought. Thoughts are with you friend.

Landon
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My sincere sympathies, Joe.

One of my adored Cairns looks to be coming to his end.

Better to have loved and lost...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Joe - I'm sorry for your loss. Finn was certainly a member of the family.

For my $0.02, I would keep your Forum name and avatar - as a tribute to Finn and the companionship he provided.

Cheers!
TedP
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

My sincere condolences for your loss, Joe. It's never easy to lose a good friend, regardless of leg count, but it sounds like Finn had a long and happy life and the type of death most of us would welcome when it's our turn to go.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Joe,
I am very sorry about your loss. Please, do not change the name.
Roman
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Joe.. So very sorry for your lose.. Seems they are with us for such a short time and when they go it really hurts.. Take care and time will help heal the hurt.. R.I.P. Finn.. John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Surfingringo wrote: I love dogs and usually find them more tolerable than humans. Worst part of being a dog lover is we so often tend to outlive them. :(.
I also believe that most of the dogs are much better than most of the humans.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

My heartfelt condolences to you and your family. I have felt the pain you are going through, it will eventually pass but your memories will remain. Cherish them.

Your forum name and avatar are a testament to your love of your friend/companion and if it were me I would not change a thing.

Jim

Dang, it's dusty in here.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

My condolences in this difficult time. I wouldn't presume to know what's best for you, but were it me, I would not change my forum name.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Very sorry to hear about your loss, Joe :(. Glad you both had such a fun and long life together.

Memories last forever. In that regard I would keep the forum name (even if it's painful for a while).
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'm very sorry about the loss of your friend Finn. Also sorry to say that you may never get completely over it. My second and last dog died at 13 about 45 years ago, and I still occasionally have dreams in which he comes back after having been lost for a long time. Sometimes he's very old and fragile in these dreams. At least now you won't have to worry about how he might have fared if he had outlived you. Sorry to sound so grim. I would recommend getting out pictures taken of him when he was happy.

As for the avatar, if it doesn't make you too sad, I think it would be fine to leave it the same, but AFAIK it would probably be best to go with your gut feeling about it.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Joe,

Sorry to hear of your loss. Finn was great for you to name yourself after him.

I say keep it to remind you.

That and it might remind you to look at Mastiff puppies. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Dear Joe, I am sorry to hear from your loss! What I have heard from you here on the forums, Finn was a good dog and an even better companion. I'm sure you keep him in good memory, though it hurts a lot at me moment.

You and Finn are a team, I would appreciate if you don't change your forum name.

When I remember back I have some tears in my eyes, I lost my dog a good year ago.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Joe,

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. It saddens me a great deal to hear this. Most folks who have known you here on the forum know how much Finn meant to you. I would certainly keep your screen name as a tribute to Finn. I have a hunch he would have wanted it to be this way. All the best to you, my friend. Will be praying for you.