What "Other" is in your pocket???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sharp Guy

Re: What "Other" is in your pocket???

Post by Sharp Guy »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:13 pm

Natrix XL
I carried my Natrix Mini Copper yesterday. I really like that little knife
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:38 am
The Sebenza showed up yesterday, I haven't even used it yet...but just from looking it over, the feel of it, the detail and tolerances...I get it. I LOVE my Spyderco's, but this thing is something different. The tolerances are incredible. It's so dialed in that looking at it for blade centering, I thought the blade might have been rubbing on the scales. Shined a flashlight through the back of it and sure enough there was a paper width streak of light shining through on both sides of the blade. It's not quite as smooth as I've seen in some videos, so I'll give it a break in period . Trying to resist my usual pivot tweak and cleaning. Already this morning sitting at my desk, fidgeting a bit while not busy, it feels a little smoother than it did a couple hours ago. It showed up very sharp along the length of the blade except near the tip. Being a convex grind that I'm not super familiar with, it took me a minute to get the right angle and it sharped up evenly and quickly once I found that angle. Trying to resist my usual pivot tweak and cleaning. I've also never had a lanyard, so I'm going to keep it on there for now and give it a try. This thing really is a beauty and I'm glad I pulled the trigger!

Resized_20210115_090723.jpeg
Resized_20210115_090734.jpeg
Resized_20210115_091510.jpeg
You're livin' large now Rick! That looks really nice. If I were to get one I think It would be the small version of that. I'm saving my pennies for something else. So need to pretend I didn't see this haha
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:11 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
The Sebenza showed up yesterday, I haven't even used it yet...but just from looking it over, the feel of it, the detail and tolerances...I get it. I LOVE my Spyderco's, but this thing is something different. The tolerances are incredible. It's so dialed in that looking at it for blade centering, I thought the blade might have been rubbing on the scales. Shined a flashlight through the back of it and sure enough there was a paper width streak of light shining through on both sides of the blade. It's not quite as smooth as I've seen in some videos, so I'll give it a break in period . Trying to resist my usual pivot tweak and cleaning. Already this morning sitting at my desk, fidgeting a bit while not busy, it feels a little smoother than it did a couple hours ago. It showed up very sharp along the length of the blade except near the tip. Being a convex grind that I'm not super familiar with, it took me a minute to get the right angle and it sharped up evenly and quickly once I found that angle. Trying to resist my usual pivot tweak and cleaning. I've also never had a lanyard, so I'm going to keep it on there for now and give it a try. This thing really is a beauty and I'm glad I pulled the trigger!

You're livin' large now Rick! That looks really nice. If I were to get one I think It would be the small version of that. I'm saving my pennies for something else. So need to pretend I didn't see this haha
Thanks Pat! I was pretty nervous awaiting its arrival, but it was love at first sight! This is actually the Small Sebenza. Debated hard on the small vs large, but my wallet spoke with the small haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

03525D5E-F1DA-450A-960D-5152C9E54A25.jpeg

Woke up this morning feeling insecure, lol!!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

M Sea wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:19 am
Lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I reckon I woke up feeling secure :D
Nah, this little bugger is almost always with me.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

M Sea wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:19 am
Lol, thats pretty good :D
Honestly though, I am so intrigued by this ZT. I've came close to pulling the trigger a few times. Especially the one with the black spider Webb scale that USA Made Blades offers.
I'll bet that ZT is pretty nice?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
The Sebenza showed up yesterday, I haven't even used it yet...but just from looking it over, the feel of it, the detail and tolerances...I get it. I LOVE my Spyderco's, but this thing is something different. The tolerances are incredible. It's so dialed in that looking at it for blade centering, I thought the blade might have been rubbing on the scales. Shined a flashlight through the back of it and sure enough there was a paper width streak of light shining through on both sides of the blade. It's not quite as smooth as I've seen in some videos, so I'll give it a break in period . Trying to resist my usual pivot tweak and cleaning. Already this morning sitting at my desk, fidgeting a bit while not busy, it feels a little smoother than it did a couple hours ago. It showed up very sharp along the length of the blade except near the tip. Being a convex grind that I'm not super familiar with, it took me a minute to get the right angle and it sharped up evenly and quickly once I found that angle. I've also never had a lanyard, so I'm going to keep it on there for now and give it a try. This thing really is a beauty and I'm glad I pulled the trigger!

Looks great! Most of mine were used and already broken in, but the last one I waited a week before the tear down. A light 2000 grit polishing of the washers and some Nano Oil and it should swing freely with the lock disengaged and the pivot at full tightness. The floruo grease works good too, just be sure not to put too much in there.

Glad you're liking it. I hope a Large is in your future! That's where the design really shines IMO.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
The Sebenza showed up yesterday, I haven't even used it yet...but just from looking it over, the feel of it, the detail and tolerances...I get it. I LOVE my Spyderco's, but this thing is something different. The tolerances are incredible. It's so dialed in that looking at it for blade centering, I thought the blade might have been rubbing on the scales. Shined a flashlight through the back of it and sure enough there was a paper width streak of light shining through on both sides of the blade. It's not quite as smooth as I've seen in some videos, so I'll give it a break in period . Trying to resist my usual pivot tweak and cleaning. Already this morning sitting at my desk, fidgeting a bit while not busy, it feels a little smoother than it did a couple hours ago. It showed up very sharp along the length of the blade except near the tip. Being a convex grind that I'm not super familiar with, it took me a minute to get the right angle and it sharped up evenly and quickly once I found that angle. I've also never had a lanyard, so I'm going to keep it on there for now and give it a try. This thing really is a beauty and I'm glad I pulled the trigger!

Wow. Thats beautiful Rick!
Dangit, now I want one!!! :D
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks gang! I think it's something everyone should at least TRY sometime in their knife journey. It's really hard to explain, but being a knife person, you'll just "get it" if you give it a chance.

-Rick
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

VashHash wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:07 pm
That knife is very appealing. You have a great eye for backgrounds as well.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:42 pm
VashHash wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:07 pm
That knife is very appealing. You have a great eye for backgrounds as well.
Thanks. Hardest part is to make sure I'm not in the reflection. It's so shiny.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:06 pm
Thanks gang! I think it's something everyone should at least TRY sometime in their knife journey. It's really hard to explain, but being a knife person, you'll just "get it" if you give it a chance.
That's a great CRK Rick, I've been enjoying your pictures today! :)

I've always absolutely loved the look of them.. but I've also tried really really hard to convince myself that $400 plus is too much to spend on any one knife. As I've gotten more and more into the hobby though, I'm having a difficult time rationalizing that logic. Hahah it's starting to seem silly to me that $400 is "too much," but 70 some-odd knives at $100+ a piece is a-ok..

I would like to start selling off some of my less carried knives eventually, but I have a feeling I'll be pulling the trigger on a CRK at some point in the future.. Definitely seems like one that I'd add to my collection and keep forever.. I have a feeling I'd "get it"..

Anyways.. I'm rambling now haha.. please post your thoughts after a few weeks of use, I'd be really interested in hearing them!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

[quote=DSH007 post_id=1484451
That's a great CRK Rick, I've been enjoying your pictures today! :)

I've always absolutely loved the look of them.. but I've also tried really really hard to convince myself that $400 plus is too much to spend on any one knife. As I've gotten more and more into the hobby though, I'm having a difficult time rationalizing that logic. Hahah it's starting to seem silly to me that $400 is "too much," but 70 some-odd knives at $100+ a piece is a-ok..

I would like to start selling off some of my less carried knives eventually, but I have a feeling I'll be pulling the trigger on a CRK at some point in the future.. Definitely seems like one that I'd add to my collection and keep forever.. I have a feeling I'd "get it"..

Anyways.. I'm rambling now haha.. please post your thoughts after a few weeks of use, I'd be really interested in hearing them!
[/quote]

Hey fellow Rick, you're also thinking the same way I was last week...so it's inevitable, you'll be getting one as well ;)

But seriously, I know I've spent this much on multiple knives in a month, multiple times now. Why not just get one, and then have some self discipline for a bit I told myself (likely easier said than done!) I've told myself I should sell 3 of my knives now that this Sebenza fills my niche for...but there they sit on the display stand because I kind of like them haha.

-Rick
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

^ yeah, I have a feeling it's just a matter of time! :)

Hahah, "fellow Rick".. love it!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I feel like y'all are peer pressuring me to byy more knives... 😔
Spydergirl88
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:00 pm
This thread has been awesome lately!! I love my Spyderco knives, but this thread has been a real treat the past few months. We're all clearly Spyderco junkies, but there's nothing wrong with checking out other's as well from time to time.

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Lol our bank accounts hate us
Spydergirl88
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:16 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:00 pm
This thread has been awesome lately!! I love my Spyderco knives, but this thread has been a real treat the past few months. We're all clearly Spyderco junkies, but there's nothing wrong with checking out other's as well from time to time.
Totally agree. It's been really fun to branch out a bit with you all, and see where the hobby is taking everyone. And I especially love this thread because I want to talk about my "others," too, but I don't care much for the other big knife forums. I'd much rather hang here and talk with you all. :)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.