What "Other" is in your pocket???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JRinFL

Re: What "Other" is in your pocket???

Post by JRinFL »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:56 pm
I pre-ordered this at the beginning of the year and it finally arrived! This might be the best production Bugout yet, imo. Not having grivory scales makes such a huge difference on this knife, and these contoured aluminum ones are awesome. Still super lightweight and they look incredible.
That one caught my eye earlier on. Very nice!

I wish Spyderco would return to using aluminum on some models.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I've been carrying this Boye folder since I got it a couple weeks ago.
The selling points for me were the total resistance to corrosion and the solid, unlined FRN scales.

Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

StuntZombie wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:14 am
I've been carrying this Boye folder since I got it a couple weeks ago.
The selling points for me were the total resistance to corrosion and the solid, unlined FRN scales.

I've always wanted to pick one up. Let us know how it does in use.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:36 pm

I've always wanted to pick one up. Let us know how it does in use.
It's definitely a different animal. It tends to lose its hair popping edge quickly, but still continues to cut and cut.

The new ones aren't ground, they're cast to size, so they are quite a bit thicker than the older versions. Still, it's been performing well for me at work.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:
I pre-ordered this at the beginning of the year and it finally arrived! This might be the best production Bugout yet, imo. Not having grivory scales makes such a huge difference on this knife, and these contoured aluminum ones are awesome. Still super lightweight and they look incredible.
I've been seriously tempted by that one! It just seems too pricey for what it is. We'll see, maybe I'll pick one up yet
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I agree, that is one sweet looking Bugout. I've only had 2 knives with aluminum scales and I liked them. I know a lot of people dislike them though, for whatever reason.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like aluminum scales and that bugout is on my radar. If I didn’t have an aversion to coated blades I would have preordered one.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
brj

Post by brj »

I can cope with aluminum as handle material but would not be my first choice (I'd rather have micarta, cf or g10).
Nevertheless, I enjoy the heck out of my MTs

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

murphjd25 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:29 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Wow, love that new Bugout Julia! It is such an exceptional knife without the Grivory scales. As far as the Slayback goes, I may wait and see if they make a large one. I just can’t wrap my head around why they wouldn’t make it a Chris Reeve framelock, just seems kind of weird to me and looks funny I guess…
I'm definitely on board for a larger Slayback as well. Hopefully it'll be out next year (with a framelock :winking-tongue).
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:39 am
JuPaul wrote:
That one caught my eye earlier on. Very nice!

I wish Spyderco would return to using aluminum on some models.
Agreed. Aluminum scales are so lightweight and can look great - really nice.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:00 pm
JuPaul wrote:
I've been seriously tempted by that one! It just seems too pricey for what it is. We'll see, maybe I'll pick one up yet
I noticed GPKnives has them on sale for $206 (gotta add it to your cart to see the price). I personally think it's worth that with the upgraded steel and really nicely milled scales.
- Julia

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I’m mostly a one knife guy, but I had to get the Sebbie out for 9/11. The Bantam lives permanently in that leather slip so it almost doesn’t count. The KC Dragonfly has been my favorite EDC lately, so I couldn’t put it down even if I would have been well knifed without it.

Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Won't quite fit in a pocket (4" blade, 8.5" overall) but this is a new one that showed up Friday. Excellent craftsmanship from a rather new custom maker. It's also made of magic unicorn dust... I mean MagnaCut. Did a late night reprofile job to a super duper thin edge tonight and did a little damage to the beautiful finish due to my rather unsteady hands, but this knife is gonna end up with scars and stories anyway. Photo taken right out of the box when I got it. No good light in the house tonight for photos of the reprofile job.

Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wandering_About wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:36 am
Won't quite fit in a pocket (4" blade, 8.5" overall) but this is a new one that showed up Friday. Excellent craftsmanship from a rather new custom maker. It's also made of magic unicorn dust... I mean MagnaCut. Did a late night reprofile job to a super duper thin edge tonight and did a little damage to the beautiful finish due to my rather unsteady hands, but this knife is gonna end up with scars and stories anyway. Photo taken right out of the box when I got it. No good light in the house tonight for photos of the reprofile job.

Whoa mule!!!!
Is that Magna Cut I see? :astonished :face monocle :exploding-head
przemekspce

Post by przemekspce »

:bug-red-white Instagram: przemekspce :bug-red
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:11 am
Wandering_About wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:36 am

Whoa mule!!!!
Is that Magna Cut I see? :astonished :face monocle :exploding-head
That it is. I actually have two knives made of MagnaCut, have had the other since the end of June. Gotta dig a little but there are custom makers out there that have some. Wasn't planning on getting a second MagnaCut blade so soon but this maker posted that he had a spot come available (somebody probably backed out) and he's been one I've been watching, so I jumped at the chance. Thought about going with AEB-L, but he had MagnaCut and I could not help myself.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
kobold

Post by kobold »

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

kobold wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:38 am
That's my all time favorite fixed blade right there.

Not my most carried lately, but when it comes to accumulated belt time, nothing else even comes close.