What "Other" is in your pocket???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TkoK83Spy

Re: What "Other" is in your pocket???

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:30 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:56 pm
My first ZT...the 0470, just showed up at my work. I like that it's not some huge, overly built model that I always hear about ZT. It's pretty slender, extremely light and very nice looking imo. The marbled CF inlay is stunning! I got it used, and it has a couple scratches on the bevel from some subpar sharpening attempt. Nothing some time on the Sharpmaker won't fix (it still cleanly cuts paper) Looks like the previous owner got a little overzealous with adding lube to the pivot, that looks like it's attracted quite a bit of dust. I'll be taking it apart when I get home and give it a proper cleaning. Action is pretty good, but I know it can be better after I clean it up. Very comfortable in hand. I think it will be a keeper. Retails at $260, got this one for $155...I feel pretty good about it :)

Resized_20200110_134235.jpeg
Resized_20200110_134214.jpeg
Resized_20200110_134306.jpeg
Resized_20200110_134329.jpeg
Looks great Rick! I carried mine again today. Cut up a couple boxes in the garage with it. It slices cardboard fine. I just touched up the edge on the SM. It was sharp before but it's really sharp now. I still can't get over how smooth the action is on it. I'm kind of surprised to hear the previous owner of yours felt the need to lube the pivot. I unlock mine and it closes with just a little shake.

For $155 I think you got a great deal. Same price I got mine for along with that 0809 that USA Made Blades anodized blue/green. That's another ZT I think you'd like. Same basic size and blade stock thickness as the 0470. I wouldn't pay the asking price for one but if you can find another deal like you did I'd think hard about not passing that one up either.

Like you, I'm not really interested in the overbuilt ZTs. However, I saw this 0801Ti on sale and ended up buying it. I thought it was smaller like the 0808. Just a newer version. Imagine my surprise when I opened the box to find this tank haha. I actually really like it. It's a bit on the heavy side but it actually carries well. About the same size as the Shaman but the blade isn't as tall and it has more edge length

I messaged with the previous owner and he said he did take it apart once to try to fix a centering issue and he used mineral oil to lube the pivot. He did a great job of not stripping any screws, which I've read this knife has given some people some problems, so I'm thankful for that! After a good cleaning it now drops closed with a little shake as you said. Very smooth and quiet. Action is much better when opening as well, lockup is louder..which I like.

Turns out centering wasn't really an issue, it was actually VERY unevenly ground bevel on the show side that made it look that way. Very surprising on a knife that retails this expensive. I applied Sharpie to the bevel on both sides, put in my CBN rods in the 40 degree slots. 10 passes on each side and the clip side wore off perfectly...show side was barely scraping the shoulder. Very disappointing. Spent a couple hours yesterday and today and finally got the bevels even and shaving arm hair off the CBN rods. I'll take it to the brown rods tomorrow. Just glad it's even now.

I'm also surprised at the blade length on this thing! Longer than a PM2, but a smaller knife overall. I dig it!

Don't be showing me models similar to a Shaman, you know I love my Shamans!! I don't need any more...at the moment :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I know right? They're amazing knives!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

IMG_20200113_150259.jpg
Here's a relatively rare bird, a Victorinox Mauser knife. The combination tool is straight off the 108 mm lineup, consisting of a can opener/caplifter, straight edge screwdriver, and saw (covered by a blade guard that came with the knife). Two blades, an awl and a corkscrew round it out.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:08 pm
Here's a relatively rare bird, a Victorinox Mauser knife. The combination tool is straight off the 108 mm lineup, consisting of a can opener/caplifter, straight edge screwdriver, and saw (covered by a blade guard that came with the knife). Two blades, an awl and a corkscrew round it out.
Cool. Thanks, Barry. Yours is the only one of those I've seen.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

JE Made Zulu in contoured checkered titanium with brass inserts. S35vn.
Hard pull and a strong spring.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:48 pm
Your back river collection has gotten so good that thing is perfect
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

My favorite non Spyderco I've ever owned. This thing is awesome! Lightweight, beautiful design and marbled carbon fiber inlays, milled titanium, 20CV steel with a lot of cutting edge on a smaller knife (Just shy of the length of the Military cutting edge) very comfortable in hand with great action. Even more special after spending a few hours reprofiling over the weekend so the bevels are even.

Resized_20200114_091544.jpeg
Resized_20200114_091600.jpeg

-Rick
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Thanks Enactive! They're fairly rare. They're really a German Army Knife with a clip point blade. I have the two layer GAK, which is a nice carry on a hike.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

bearrowland wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:29 am
Thanks Enactive! They're fairly rare. They're really a German Army Knife with a clip point blade. I have the two layer GAK, which is a nice carry on a hike.
I love the saw blade cover. I imagine a few of those blade covers have been lost or discarded (purposefully or not). I've always enjoyed a SAK or multitool with a wood saw blade.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

IMG_20200114_083153.jpg
This Waynorth Black Jack is my latest darling and for sure the most "precious" of my knives even though not the most expensive. It's just so shiny-- which i don't often go for. It still feels a lot like jewelry. I suppose that will change once i really carry it in earnest and put it to work. I considered buying a backup so that i would use the one more freely, but just couldn't justify that. It'll probably take a few weeks or months for me to "get over it." On the other hand, i imagine getting a dedicated pocket slip for it will encourage more carry.

Anyone have favorite slip makers? I've just begun shopping for one.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Enactive wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:47 am
bearrowland wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:29 am
I love the saw blade cover. I imagine a few of those blade covers have been lost or discarded (purposefully or not). I've always enjoyed a SAK or multitool with a wood saw blade.
I agree, the saw blade is very underrated and quite a shredder! I have the SAK Hiker, which my wife for some reason likes to steal quite a bit :p The Tinker is primarily mine...but yes, the saw blade is great. Cuts much better than I thought it would.

-Rick
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That saw blade rocks! It's saved me a couple times out on the trail from a cold campsite lol. I have a number of SAKs with a saw blade, but my favorite is the Hiker. It is a nice size to carry. Has anyone used the Spyder saw?
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bestech Hornet. Just amazing what quality for the money!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:46 am
My favorite non Spyderco I've ever owned. This thing is awesome! Lightweight, beautiful design and marbled carbon fiber inlays, milled titanium, 20CV steel with a lot of cutting edge on a smaller knife (Just shy of the length of the Military cutting edge) very comfortable in hand with great action. Even more special after spending a few hours reprofiling over the weekend so the bevels are even.

Resized_20200114_091544.jpeg

Resized_20200114_091600.jpeg
That's truly an awesome blade Rick. Congratz man. :)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Just ordered a Custom McNees. New model, they're not ready yet, but I'll be getting one of the first batch. I'm exited this will be my first full custom, and will be an edc work knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bestech Hornet
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's one wild looking knife, all the way around!

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:59 am
That's one wild looking knife, all the way around!
Thanx Rick.
You would not believe how nice it is, for $63!!
Very well built and smooth as silk. A nice little cleaver for sure
Blade steel is D2