What "Other" is in your pocket???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JuPaul

Re: What "Other" is in your pocket???

Post by JuPaul »

I'm having a hard time not carrying this one.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Nice. Is that sycamore?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:08 am
Nice. Is that sycamore?
Striped platan. I'd never heard of it before seeing these, but it's really interesting wood.
- Julia

vivi

Post by vivi »

:unicorn
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

M Sea

Post by M Sea »

01D952ED-A7E8-4E86-B9C2-7AD1A0CD1A06.jpeg
przemekspce

Post by przemekspce »

:bug-red-white Instagram: przemekspce :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Resized_20210219_121302.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:52 am
DSH007 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:51 am
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:46 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:32 am
Neutron 2 for me today.

The Neutron 2 has some minor design changes versus the original Neutron, including the deep-carry pocket clip, which many have stated looks like an angry elephant.. I can see it.

Lol, that's perfect! I like the Neutron 2, but I really think it needs contoured scales. I missed the new micarta ones they had this week, but hopefully they'll make more soon. I just don't love flat scales on a knife this size. I had the same complaint with the Chaparral.
Hahah thanks! That pic got 90 likes in the TRM facebook group, which is about the closest I'll ever come to going "viral" haha! :D :p

I don't mind the flats on the Neutron 2.. I find them to be comfortable enough for my hand, but maybe it's because I'm just used to flats from carrying the N1 and don't know any better? Idk haha. I have an Atom as well, with flat and contoured scales, and go back and forth as to which I prefer on that model.. both work well enough for me..

I was able order a set of contoured OD green scales for the N2. Based on pictures, I think they "look" a little nicer than the flats.. and I'm assuming they'll be more comfortable, too. Looking forward to trying them out to see which I prefer! :)
I'm definitely interested to see pictures and hear your thoughts once you get them!
I didn't forget about you Julia!

My contoured Neutron 2 scales arrived today and I just put them on! Kind of difficult to get good pictures because at most camera angles they look very similar to the flats!

Flats on top, contoured bottom..

They are definitely contoured though.. thicker at the center of the handle and tapering to the edges. I appreciate the "rounded out" edges.. I think they look a little nicer vs the flats and feel smoother against your fingers.

Side-by-side comparison with flat scales on Neutron Classic..you can kind of (?) see some contouring..

As far as comfort.. I don't notice a huge difference as far as overall ergos go. The contoured scales are maybe slightly more comfortable. I think my hands are large enough that I'm just bear-pawing the knife regardless of flat vs. contoured.. honestly, they feel pretty similar in my hand to me. Maybe if you have smaller hands the differences are more noticeable? Idk, haha. I didn't have any ergonomic revelations switching from the flat to the contoured scales, I'll put it that way..

Where the contoured scales excel, imo, is in texturing. The flats are pretty smooth for micarta. Functional sure, but I prefer a more "roughed-up" feeling micarta. The machining on the contoured N2 scales accomplishes this nicely and I think the knife feels much more secure in my hand with the contoured scales.. for this alone, I like them significantly better than the flats.

Overall.. I easily prefer the contoured scales. I'm glad I got them. But if your biggest concern is the ergos vs the flat scales, I can't guarantee that they'll be life-changing for you haha..

They sure do look nice though! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:38 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:52 am
DSH007 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:51 am
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:46 pm

Lol, that's perfect! I like the Neutron 2, but I really think it needs contoured scales. I missed the new micarta ones they had this week, but hopefully they'll make more soon. I just don't love flat scales on a knife this size. I had the same complaint with the Chaparral.
Hahah thanks! That pic got 90 likes in the TRM facebook group, which is about the closest I'll ever come to going "viral" haha! :D :p

I don't mind the flats on the Neutron 2.. I find them to be comfortable enough for my hand, but maybe it's because I'm just used to flats from carrying the N1 and don't know any better? Idk haha. I have an Atom as well, with flat and contoured scales, and go back and forth as to which I prefer on that model.. both work well enough for me..

I was able order a set of contoured OD green scales for the N2. Based on pictures, I think they "look" a little nicer than the flats.. and I'm assuming they'll be more comfortable, too. Looking forward to trying them out to see which I prefer! :)
I'm definitely interested to see pictures and hear your thoughts once you get them!
I didn't forget about you Julia!

My contoured Neutron 2 scales arrived today and I just put them on! Kind of difficult to get good pictures because at most camera angles they look very similar to the flats!

Flats on top, contoured bottom..

They are definitely contoured though.. thicker at the center of the handle and tapering to the edges. I appreciate the "rounded out" edges.. I think they look a little nicer vs the flats and feel smoother against your fingers.

Side-by-side comparison with flat scales on Neutron Classic..you can kind of (?) see some contouring..

As far as comfort.. I don't notice a huge difference as far as overall ergos go. The contoured scales are maybe slightly more comfortable. I think my hands are large enough that I'm just bear-pawing the knife regardless of flat vs. contoured.. honestly, they feel pretty similar in my hand to me. Maybe if you have smaller hands the differences are more noticeable? Idk, haha. I didn't have any ergonomic revelations switching from the flat to the contoured scales, I'll put it that way..

Where the contoured scales excel, imo, is in texturing. The flats are pretty smooth for micarta. Functional sure, but I prefer a more "roughed-up" feeling micarta. The machining on the contoured N2 scales accomplishes this nicely and I think the knife feels much more secure in my hand with the contoured scales.. for this alone, I like them significantly better than the flats.

Overall.. I easily prefer the contoured scales. I'm glad I got them. But if your biggest concern is the ergos vs the flat scales, I can't guarantee that they'll be life-changing for you haha..

They sure do look nice though! :)
Thanks for that, Rick! I agree the flats are really pretty smooth, and that's probably part of my issue with them. It sounds like that little bit of contouring and the extra texturing on the new scales will be right up my alley. I hope they make more soon!
- Julia

SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

QSP Penguin, Hard to beat this knife at $30. D2 steel and Micarta, action is so smooth you would think its on bearings and perfectly centered.
RLR

Post by RLR »

BEF82B3F-155F-41F6-AC59-EF0C59C185A6.jpeg
Limited Edition Full Sized BM Skirmish - fills a pocket nicely.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:57 pm

QSP Penguin, Hard to beat this knife at $30. D2 steel and Micarta, action is so smooth you would think its on bearings and perfectly centered.
Absolutely, and the Micarta is excellent!
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I picked up an Opinel No. 6 recently. I used to have an No. 8, but it was a bit bigger for pocket carry than I liked. The No. 6 is roughly as long as a Chaparral, and as big around as a tube of Chap Stik.
Attachments
7A0523A2-158E-4D80-A9FD-6524FD6D3AAA.jpeg
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Pokey wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:31 pm
I picked up an Opinel No. 6 recently. I used to have an No. 8, but it was a bit bigger for pocket carry than I liked. The No. 6 is roughly as long as a Chaparral, and as big around as a tube of Chap Stik.
Nice, always wanted a 6.
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

I forget that's what a brand new carbon Opinel looks like.
Mine are a 'tad' worn :D
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I’ve been carrying one of my SOG Terminus XR’s today. They’re a combo flipper/thumb stud, modified Axis Lock. These are the OD green or crimson models with G10 on the blunt end and 3” (7.62 cm) of D2 on the pointy end.
Attachments
FADDFE9A-A68F-479D-BD31-1DC2E6EE63F6.jpeg
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Steel Will Modus in D2 for today.
Attachments
modus 01.jpg
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Something about this one

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:15 pm

Thanks for that, Rick! I agree the flats are really pretty smooth, and that's probably part of my issue with them. It sounds like that little bit of contouring and the extra texturing on the new scales will be right up my alley. I hope they make more soon!
Definitely check back in randomly on the website and follow along in the FB group.. Marianne & Hilary like to do random sneaky drops sometimes. I missed the original release for these micarta contoured scales on thursday, but just happened to check on saturday night and they had some more in stock, which is how I got this set! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..