What "Other" is in your pocket???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
BLUETYPEII

Re: What "Other" is in your pocket???

Post by BLUETYPEII »

M Sea wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:59 pm
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:43 pm
M Sea wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:44 am
B8D1AF92-748E-45E5-A87E-B73DAB043035.jpeg
I keep looking at this knife and can’t decide if I want it or not...

How do you like it?
Lock up?
Fit and finish?
Okay, at first I was disappointed in the stiffness of the flipper and lack of a smooth drop shut.

Once I loosened the pivot a little and flipped it for a few days it did loosen up and is fine. It still won’t drop shut But, I like it so much overall that it doesn’t bother me. The blade is an excellent shape for most edc tasks and touches up to razor sharp on the Sharpmaker white rods with about three strokes. Lock up is rock solid and fit/finish is fine.

Overall, I am very pleased and if I lost mine, I would but another one.
Thanks... that was some good info. :)
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

ZT 0095
Attachments
zt_0095_02.jpg
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

C755793E-5FA4-4453-9312-C68D6CBB382E.jpeg
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:04 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:07 am
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:33 am
DSH007 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:23 am

Abbazaba's correct! TRM (Three Rivers Manufacturing) Atom. With monkeywood scales by Match Anderson. :)
Nice! I've got one with green micarta. Obviously I've been branching out a bit lately, selling Spydies I wasn't using and trying other brands. The Atom really does live up to the hype - it's so dang smooth, thin, and slicey! If I could get one with a Spydie hole...dream knife!
Nice! I love that green micarta! TRM is one of my favorites brands (besides Spyderco, of course :))! I have the Neutron, Atom, and Nerd. They are all great knives! The purpose-built design for easy customization is one of my favorite features of TRM.. I have several sets of scales for each model (g10, micarta, wood, etc.). Definitely cool to be able to swap them out as I please..

Do you follow TRM on the facebook at all? There is a guy in the group who has modded his Atom with a Spydie hole and posts up pictures of it.. It looks amazing, but it's pretty small because there just isn't much material to work with on that section of the blade.. you're right though, I think a Spydie hole from the factory would absolutely be a dream knife!

Hah, not that I'd ever push the facebook on anyone.. if you're at all interested in TRM, I'd check out their group. TRM owner Marianne Halpern is very active in it and they offer customer appreciation giveaways, special chances to buy knives, etc. Members are very knowledgeable and helpful.. a lot of the nonsense that tends to plague other fb groups is not tolerated in this one.. Like the Spyderco forum, it's one of the better places on the internet! :)
Thanks for the heads up on that, Rick! I've got a Facebook account, but I rarely check it these days because there's so much negativity online. I just got disgusted by it all. But I'll make an exception for a civilized group like that. ;) I'm hoping to snag a "Newtron" at their next drop...wish me luck! And wow, do the ti Atoms look nice! I hope they're making a bunch of them...
Thursday between 9-11 am eastern. May the odds be ever in your favor. :)

Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:48 am
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:04 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:07 am
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:33 am

Nice! I've got one with green micarta. Obviously I've been branching out a bit lately, selling Spydies I wasn't using and trying other brands. The Atom really does live up to the hype - it's so dang smooth, thin, and slicey! If I could get one with a Spydie hole...dream knife!
Nice! I love that green micarta! TRM is one of my favorites brands (besides Spyderco, of course :))! I have the Neutron, Atom, and Nerd. They are all great knives! The purpose-built design for easy customization is one of my favorite features of TRM.. I have several sets of scales for each model (g10, micarta, wood, etc.). Definitely cool to be able to swap them out as I please..

Do you follow TRM on the facebook at all? There is a guy in the group who has modded his Atom with a Spydie hole and posts up pictures of it.. It looks amazing, but it's pretty small because there just isn't much material to work with on that section of the blade.. you're right though, I think a Spydie hole from the factory would absolutely be a dream knife!

Hah, not that I'd ever push the facebook on anyone.. if you're at all interested in TRM, I'd check out their group. TRM owner Marianne Halpern is very active in it and they offer customer appreciation giveaways, special chances to buy knives, etc. Members are very knowledgeable and helpful.. a lot of the nonsense that tends to plague other fb groups is not tolerated in this one.. Like the Spyderco forum, it's one of the better places on the internet! :)
Thanks for the heads up on that, Rick! I've got a Facebook account, but I rarely check it these days because there's so much negativity online. I just got disgusted by it all. But I'll make an exception for a civilized group like that. ;) I'm hoping to snag a "Newtron" at their next drop...wish me luck! And wow, do the ti Atoms look nice! I hope they're making a bunch of them...
Thursday between 9-11 am eastern. May the odds be ever in your favor.
Thanks a ton!!!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
kirilpetkov

Post by kirilpetkov »

:D :D :D

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Probably the last day with this guy. Though I like the materials used and it being one of the quickest flippers I've ever handled, the blade shape just isn't ideal for me. Starting to thin the herd for something big! :D
Resized_20200227_133535.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:22 am
Probably the last day with this guy. Though I like the materials used and it being one of the quickest flippers I've ever handled, the blade shape just isn't ideal for me. Starting to thin the herd for something big! :D

Oooooh!!!!
Inquiring minds want to know Rick!!! :D
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:26 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Oooooh!!!!
Bit the bullet and grabbed a small Sebenza 31 with Macassar Ebony inlays. I'm excited, and very nervous haha! :D

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:30 am
MacLaren wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Oooooh!!!!
Bit the bullet and grabbed a small Sebenza 31 with Macassar Ebony inlays. I'm excited, and very nervous haha! :D
Congratulations on your first CRK! :thumbsup:
S21-1116-1-Web_1000x.jpg
Absolutely gorgeous. Great first pick!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This is the actual image of the one I grabbed. Looks like there's some nice grain work in that inlay if it's in some different lighting. I've been nonstop researching the past week now, I also reached out to fellow forum member abbazaba and he was extremely helpful. Going into this with high expectations, but also trying to be realistic as well. Nonetheless, I'm really looking forward to it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chris-Reeve-Kn ... 2749.l2649

-Rick
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Emerson Appalachian
Emerson Appalachian
20210107_075817_copy_2268x3024_copy_1134x1512.jpg
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:30 am
MacLaren wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Oooooh!!!!
Wow!! I hear ya!! :D :cool:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:50 am
This is the actual image of the one I grabbed. Looks like there's some nice grain work in that inlay if it's in some different lighting. I've been nonstop researching the past week now, I also reached out to fellow forum member abbazaba and he was extremely helpful. Going into this with high expectations, but also trying to be realistic as well. Nonetheless, I'm really looking forward to it!

Very nice! I like that it comes with a slip, too.

I've always considered the Sebenza blade shape to be the most beautifully proportioned of any knife I've seen. It's also supremely useful and with that super high hollow grind, a pleasure to use.
Everything about the knife is so clean and perfectly done. The legendary Chris Reeve tolerances are real. I don't like saying it, but they blow any Spyderco out of the water in that regard. :eek:

Carry it, use it, let it grow on you. At first blush it can seem a lot of money for nothing that special, but give it time and you will see why they are so special.

One thing I didn't like was the factory edge - convex, and not insanely sharp. I think that's one place they could improve. However, that doesn't matter much since I just put my own edge on it. CRK's S35VN sharpens beautifully, too.

Have you seen the BladeHQ Shop Tour videos on Chris Reeve Knives? Kinda shows you what sets CRK apart.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

SRKC. It recently got in a fight with my sander, and the sander won :D

Tried my hand at thinning out the primary grind. The saber grind is roughly 1/4" taller on either side, and its thinner behind the edge.

Visually its awful, very uneven, but it does cut better. Good enough for a $40 knife. The spine throws killer sparks off a ferro rod now too.

Gotta get the patina restarted now, looks way too clean
:unicorn
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:50 am

It look gorgeous! Congrats! I'm excited to see your own pics.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Today, the ZT0640, finally living up to its full potential!
- Julia

SG89

Post by SG89 »

Some grailsImage
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:12 pm
Today, the ZT0640, finally living up to its full potential!
I had one earlier this year, and I just couldn't like it as much as I wanted to. Compared to the Millie it felt clunky, unwieldy and too small for my hand. Killer design though. Even the CF inlays were pretty, in a Nurgle-ish way...
Sold it because I only have so many pockets, and I'm not one to keep tools I don't use.
So instead I'm carrying these ones :D
TOPS Puukko in the sheath
My two favourite knives ! (Old pic however)

European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage