What "Other" is in your pocket???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: What "Other" is in your pocket???

Post by MacLaren »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:06 am
Rmd infi

Dude, you did a great job there. Looks good!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:45 am
VashHash wrote:
Rmd infi

Believe it or not I just stripped the coating and it was pretty much done. I really think Busse does the fhfg after heat treat or something.

Ohh and I did electro etch the logo.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:07 am
MacLaren wrote:
VashHash wrote:
Rmd infi

Believe it or not I just stripped the coating and it was pretty much done. I really think Busse does the fhfg after heat treat or something.

Ohh and I did electro etch the logo.
Incredible. Don't think I've ever saw one look that good after removing the finish and doing nothing else.
I would agree then about Busse doing the fhfg after HT
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

New Spartan Harsey Difensa

Extremely good ergos, deceptively SHARP, LOL.
Doesn't feel quite as sharp as the Spyderco Province, but most don't.
Anyways, you can see my blood on the Green Linen Micarta handle as well as the blade. Cut myself and didn't even know it. She's mine FOREVER now :D
*Edit* Just a few strokes on the SharpMaker, and she really came alive!! Very nice indeed!!
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I wanted to grab a Cold Steel folder after news of the company's acquisition by GSM Outdoors so I picked up the Cold Steel Grik. I just wanted an affordable representative knife of the pre-GSM era & the Grik fit the bill. It's an actual Andrew Demko design & not just an anonymous "in-house" design fitted with Demko's Tri-AD Lock. It also has a couple of other peculiar-to-Cold Steel features like the HTR thumb ramp opener and the contoured GFN pocket clip.
20201217_112748.jpg
Been using it as a back-up folder the past few days, and it's okay. Ergos are decent—the handle feels like a cross between the Native 5 Lightweight and the Delica 4, but not as good as either (though it's probably just my muscle memory working against the knife more than any flaws with the design). The contoured GFN clip is sort of goofy, but it works and actually blends in real well with the olive drab pants I usually wear to work. There doesn't seem to be a lot of space underneath the clip for thicker pocket hems, though.

The bladestock is pretty thick for such a small folder but the swedge helps make up for it a bit & it did come very sharp out of the box. The blade is AUS-8, which is fine for a back-up work knife, and from what I've read & seen online, Cold Steel's Taiwanese partner does some of the best AUS-8 heat treat in the industry.

As for the Tri-AD Lock... I get the idea behind it (a stronger backlock), but at least in my use case, is sort of a solution in search of a problem. A well-made backlock made with tight tolerances and good materials is strong enough for me in a work/utility knife, and the Tri-AD Lock's stiffer action on the close compared to Spyderco's mid-backlock makes it a lot less convenient for my purposes at work, which require a lot of rapid one-handed opening and closing. While I have no doubt that the Tri-AD Lock has a legitimate claim to the title of "Strongest Lock in the Industry", I'm fairly certain that an MBC-rated Spyderco with a Compression Lock (Yojimbo 2, Li'l Temperance 3) or a CBBL (P'kal) or Power Lock (Chinook 4) can stand toe-to-toe with it, all while being quicker to actuate.

Still, the Grik is a good, no-nonsense work knife. I'm glad I got one and would recommend it to anyone looking for a budget Cold Steel folder.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I just received my 4Max Scout from CS today. I also ordered it before GSM makes the enviable changes to the line up. What an insane brute of a folding knife. I love it! Pretty sure it will be cockroaches, tax collectors, and 4Maxes as the only survivors of the WW3.

Very comfortable grip, easy deployment for me, and the lock is easy to disengage on this one. I like the Tri-Ad lock on knives with big heavy blades as the self-close is very positive. I fear a lock failure would remove a finger, at least. It sounds like a guillotine coming down. :eek: On smaller knives or knives with lighter blades, the Spyderco lock backs are better, IMO.

It is more of brute than the Shaman. It does remind me a bit of the original Chinook. I never had a larger Spyderco than those two knives so I cannot compare to the others.

So what is it missing? Well it needs an opening hole and maybe a bump up in steel choice from AUS 10A.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

AA18B6A4-29C8-45C8-A851-CEF4E8A2B082.jpeg
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:46 pm
I just received my 4Max Scout from CS today. I also ordered it before GSM makes the enviable changes to the line up. What an insane brute of a folding knife. I love it! Pretty sure it will be cockroaches, tax collectors, and 4Maxes as the only survivors of the WW3.

Very comfortable grip, easy deployment for me, and the lock is easy to disengage on this one. I like the Tri-Ad lock on knives with big heavy blades as the self-close is very positive. I fear a lock failure would remove a finger, at least. It sounds like a guillotine coming down. :eek: On smaller knives or knives with lighter blades, the Spyderco lock backs are better, IMO.

It is more of brute than the Shaman. It does remind me a bit of the original Chinook. I never had a larger Spyderco than those two knives so I cannot compare to the others.

So what is it missing? Well it needs an opening hole and maybe a bump up in steel choice from AUS 10A.
Hahah your review is spot on! My 4Max Scout arrived on monday. Definitely a well-constructed beast of a knife. I'm not really a "big knife" guy, and I'll probably almost never carry the thing.. haha it's actually quite a ridiculous knife all things considered.. but man, I really do love it! Makes the Military look almost spindly by comparison! :p

Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

MacLaren wrote:
VashHash wrote:
Rmd infi

You have awesome gear, this is so nice.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

M Sea wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:55 pm
MacLaren wrote:
VashHash wrote:
Rmd infi

You have awesome gear, this is so nice.
Thanks you have some nice stuff yourself
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:27 pm
Nice! Really like that color.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:38 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:27 pm
Nice! Really like that color.
Agreed!
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

7281F199-312B-43C7-A37C-D738C1785ADA.jpeg
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

przemekspce

Post by przemekspce »

Speed Demon
:bug-red-white Instagram: przemekspce :bug-red
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:01 pm
Ha, is that an Old English Malt Liquor bottle??
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Of course! I still think a (now 42oz for some reason) bottle of Olde English makes for a good hiking companion, and it's actually a nice departure from the rest of my beer snobbery :)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:40 pm
Of course! I still think a (now 42oz for some reason) bottle of Olde English makes for a good hiking companion, and it's actually a nice departure from the rest of my beer snobbery :)
Drink cheap malt liquor, save money for more CRKs... ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:41 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:40 pm
Drink cheap malt liquor, save money for more CRKs... ;)
Ha, I love it🍻