What "Other" is in your pocket???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
demoncase

Re: What "Other" is in your pocket???

Post by demoncase »

Found this in the pocket of my dressing gown while suffering with a viral throat infection this week....and reminded myself why it's fun but why it also isn't a great concept- That's not Cold Steel's fault, but inherent in the choice of this type of folder.

A little piece of history- and a rarity on this side of the Atlantic.....When is a balisong not a balisong and thus UK legal?- When it's a Jacob's Ladder:
The Cold Steel Triple Action.
What's great:
Flat and slim in the pocket, it really give little hint of being a knife until you open it.
Lovely grinds on this blade and a high finish- to start with.
It snaps open with a wrist flick with a bit practice- it's a 'shake stop-to-stop' movement, opening the 'safe handle' then a move in the other direction to snap open the blade. Takes longer to read than it does to do.
You can even do the same point down in an ice-pick grip.
As the 'live' handle with the blade inside is slimmer than the 'safe' handle, you can feel even with gloves on which way it needs to go to open.
Neat, slim styling is a treat- the aluminium handles are light and the whole package is lively in the hand....One of those knives it's hard to put down.

What's not so great:
The Jacob's Ladder design has an inherent design flaw- Fluff the opening (which you will) and either the edge or the point will impact the handles. Resulting in blade damage that can be removed...at first, then you lose the point and the edge starts looking like a ploughed field
As shown, these result in damage to the handle too. Some rubber inlay here or similar from the factory would prevent the issue altogether.
I admit to cursing a great deal when I fluff an opening not more than 5 minutes after sharpening out the nicks. I've simply given up now and live with it.
The Aluminium of the handles is a slick as politician's lie- that slim pattern gives zero grip...and the alloy chosen is very, very soft.
After some small use, the steel screws oval the holes in the grip and the handle becomes sloppy. You can feel and see about 1/16th" to a 1/8th"of movement in the safe handle in use- in all directions....She rattles like a marrraca now.

There's even about 1/16th" blade-play that can't easily be fixed as the screws won't tighten any further due to the worn handles- so much for the marketing of the time....I'd love to have seen this with steel or even G10 handles, where this softness wouldn't have been an issue- but that would make the edge/point issue more of a problem than before.

Great but flawed fun. There's no easy way to design yourself out of the hole the Jacob's Ladder puts up in to begin with....Which'd be one of the reasons why you'll never read me posting "OMG Spyderco should totally do a Jacob's Ladder knife." Not sure even Sal and Eric can fix this one ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Traded a lightly used Camillus Cuda Dominator for a couple others today at a gun show.

As simple as the Buck is, I've been looking for it for a while. The Lone Wolf Loveless is wonderful.
- best wishes, Jazz.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Hamachi came today... :D

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Small Seb today

ScottG

Post by ScottG »

Northwoods Everyday Barlow
ScottG

Post by ScottG »

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Enzo Birk micarta.
Going back to Caly.
gusto5

Post by gusto5 »

Just picked me up a Cold Steel Mini Recon 1 (Clip Point)
Starmate C55GP
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

ZT 0452 CF
valenciamanu

Post by valenciamanu »

Pocket Knife Pedro Bermudez (Taramundi ) .
O2 carbon steel hand-forged .

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

demoncase wrote: Image

Man, I really like that. It appeals to my inner adolescent who thought dagger blades were the coolest thing ever. There's also a symmetry to it that really appeals to my OCD lol. I like the opening style, pretty unique. The Celtic knot engraving sure doesn't hurt either. This is the kind of thing I'd collect if I were into that sort of thing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

The perfection that is the 0452CF. Chaparral and SAK Classic also in tow.

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

abbazaba wrote:The perfection that is the 0452CF. Chaparral and SAK Classic also in tow.

......I hear ya man. The 0452 CF is one bad boy.....
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Little knife, great quality for the price.

And bigger knife also great quality for the price

this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

I'll always have my Victorinox Executive with me, more so than any other knife I own.
Nasgul

Post by Nasgul »

Pic of the site of the French maker : Frédéric Maschio - Model Nunc :cool:

Mine look like the bottom/closed one. Green micarta, Blade RWL 34. With a "lock" ball in open & close position (Maschball)

:spyder: adds color to your knife addiction :D
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Northfield 431113 in RBP
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

I always have a Leatherman PS4 and Leatherman Style CS. I do a lot of freshwater bass fishing and the scissors alone are great. I use a jig and pig (or plastic craw trailer) a lot but change baits quite a bit. Watching this snowstorm come in now. Going to set the first fishing day back a bit.
I have a small SS framelock CRKT Drifter that I carry often. Great knife and value.
For a larger knife, I carry the BM 950 Rift many days.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

RFP... CASE XX Red Bone 32 jack.. RRP... Rat 1... John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)