What Are You Reading ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: What Are You Reading ?

Post by Doc Dan »

I am reading and re-reading a sci-fi book that I wrote, looking for errors. I'll let you know when it comes out.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:16 pm
I am reading and re-reading a sci-fi book that I wrote, looking for errors. I'll let you know when it comes out.
Very interesting, Doc!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:11 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Very interesting, Doc!
I do not know if it is any good, but it was fun to write. Everything is based on real science, real theories, real military, etc.

My young beta testers loved the first part and are asking to read the rest. Maybe it is not too bad, I hope.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:43 am
The Meat man wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Very interesting, Doc!
I do not know if it is any good, but it was fun to write. Everything is based on real science, real theories, real military, etc.

My young beta testers loved the first part and are asking to read the rest. Maybe it is not too bad, I hope.
The best sci-fi expands on a basis of reality.
I'll definitely be interested in picking up a copy, if and when it gets published.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
OrangeShoes

Post by OrangeShoes »

I am reading a few online publications such as Awake. It is really nice.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:43 am
The Meat man wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Very interesting, Doc!

I’m interested to read it once it gets published too, Doc!

Jim
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Doc Dan wrote:

Best wishes for success, Doc Dan. I've tapped out a few short stories but lacked the determination to do anything with them much less write a book. It's a slow day here so allow me to reminisce.

Planet of Shadow is an inter-species, slightly erotic, sci-fi fairy tale when I had a muse. A beauty and the beast fantasy. Truly, it's how I viewed my muse, the object of my affection, and myself.

The Thrower of the Arrow is current and about college-age star-crossed lovers and sacrifice.

I wrote one other lost to time on an Apple II 5-1/4 inch floppy disc. Allow me to bore you further and tell you about it.

My children were in high school and I was a CPA with my own tax practice and a motorcycle at the time. From that environment sprang a hero, a teen-aged savant who champions the idea of replacing all taxes with a property tax. He takes as his best friend an outcast, a motorcycle riding classmate with proteus syndrome, sometimes called Elephant Man's disease, a rare congenital disorder. When he rides, his helmet covers his deformity.

The outcast was inspired by two classmates of mine and my own riding experiences. One in elementary school who was adorable from one side but dreadfully disfigured from the other and one in highschool with a leather bomber jacket and a motorcycle. When I rode my motorcycle with a full face helmet, girls would flirt with me.

Not surprisingly, when our savant gains a widespread reputation he is almost martyred in an assassination attempt by the "establishment". The incident rallies the nation and propels his efforts into law.

After I had the idea, I discovered that in 1879, Henry George wrote Progress and Poverty advancing the idea of a single land tax. So my idea was not as original as I thought.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:01 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Best wishes for success, Doc Dan. I've tapped out a few short stories but lacked the determination to do anything with them much less write a book. It's a slow day here so allow me to reminisce.

Planet of Shadow is an inter-species, slightly erotic, sci-fi fairy tale when I had a muse. A beauty and the beast fantasy. Truly, it's how I viewed my muse, the object of my affection, and myself.

The Thrower of the Arrow is current and about college-age star-crossed lovers and sacrifice.

I wrote one other lost to time on an Apple II 5-1/4 inch floppy disc. Allow me to bore you further and tell you about it.

My children were in high school and I was a CPA with my own tax practice and a motorcycle at the time. From that environment sprang a hero, a teen-aged savant who champions the idea of replacing all taxes with a property tax. He takes as his best friend an outcast, a motorcycle riding classmate with proteus syndrome, sometimes called Elephant Man's disease, a rare congenital disorder. When he rides, his helmet covers his deformity.

The outcast was inspired by two classmates of mine and my own riding experiences. One in elementary school who was adorable from one side but dreadfully disfigured from the other and one in highschool with a leather bomber jacket and a motorcycle. When I rode my motorcycle with a full face helmet, girls would flirt with me.

Not surprisingly, when our savant gains a widespread reputation he is almost martyred in an assassination attempt by the "establishment". The incident rallies the nation and propels his efforts into law.

After I had the idea, I discovered that in 1879, Henry George wrote Progress and Poverty advancing the idea of a single land tax. So my idea was not as original as I thought.
There are no new ideas, just fresh takes on ideas that have been out there already.

I am working on a cover for my book. When it is done I can get it all published (why pay someone a fortune to do a cover for a book that might not sell?).

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:01 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Great stories. Keep writing.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Thank you, Doc. I did get published and paid once, sort of. On my website I posted a ride report that I made of a trip I took in late 2003, California or Bust, and forwarded the link to American Motorcyclist magazine. They put a shortened version in a sidebar, The Long Way to the Pacific Coast and sent me $120. The title they chose I realize now was quite a compliment because Ewan McGregor's Long Way Round had come out about the same time.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M43YCTP/re ... 357&sr=8-1

My new book Fall Planet is out, now. It is an edge of your seat thrill ride.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:07 am
Thank you, Doc. I did get published and paid once, sort of. On my website I posted a ride report that I made of a trip I took in late 2003, California or Bust, and forwarded the link to American Motorcyclist magazine. They put a shortened version in a sidebar, The Long Way to the Pacific Coast and sent me $120. The title they chose I realize now was quite a compliment because Ewan McGregor's Long Way Round had come out about the same time.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:12 am

Hey! Looks really interesting Doc. I will have to see if I can steal my wife's Kindle to read it. ;)
- Connor

Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Doc Dan wrote:

That looks great, Doc. But I don't do Kindle. Will there be a print edition?
Never mind. I'll just wait for the United Planets six-movie franchise to begin.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Mad Mac wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:30 am
Doc Dan wrote:

That looks great, Doc. But I don't do Kindle. Will there be a print edition?
Never mind. I'll just wait for the United Planets six-movie franchise to begin.
it is an ebook, so I think it can be downloaded to a computer or other such in order to read it.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:16 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Hey! Looks really interesting Doc. I will have to see if I can steal my wife's Kindle to read it. ;)
Let me know how you like it. It is not overly long, about the length of a Louis L'amour book.

It was well enough received that I have had requests for a sequel.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Savage Run (Joe Pickett #2), by C.J. Box.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Best Ghost Stories of Algernon Blackwood (selected with an introduction by E.F. Bleiler).

Algernon Blackwood was (IMO) the best writer of supernatural fiction of the early 20th century. His story The Willows was considered by H.P. Lovecraft to be the finest supernatural story in English literature. The concepts that Blackwood incorporated into his stories, such as alternate dimensions, etc., were way ahead of their time.

Jim
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Fall Planet by Doc Dan. Excellent so far!

Just finished King John by Shakespeare.
- Connor