What Are You Reading ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: What Are You Reading ?

Post by MacLaren »

tvenuto wrote:Haha, I certainly believe in luck, but I think a lot of times you make your own. It's all how you frame it. Tell your wife you decided to surprise her with a trip to Europe! Amsterdam no less! Museums! Van Gogh! Also, you'll be unavailable for a few hours on Sunday. Mainly though, Expedia had an absolute nonsense deal when packaging flight and hotel to Amsterdam during this period. Probably not a super popular time to visit.

Unless you were referring to me getting to read Dune? That was just $10 on Amazon.
Lol.... Nah, maybe next year though! Get over there and have myself a "Royale with Cheese" :)
Tvenuto- our man in Amsterdam. Seriously, I'm happy for ya, and jealous as well :)
Just take some good pics and give us a nice review.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Will do, my plan is to take as complete notes on the un-photographable prototypes as I can, and report back. Mr. Blonde does a great job with the pics so I figured this is the best place to fill in.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

tvenuto wrote:Will do, my plan is to take as complete notes on the un-photographable prototypes as I can, and report back. Mr. Blonde does a great job with the pics so I figured this is the best place to fill in.
Mr. Blonde certainly does. Between y'all, it'll be very good reading.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Just finished Lonesome Dove this week. It was one of the best novels I've read. Just started Martian Time Slip by Philip K. Dick. I have Dune on my list, but probably won't get to it until later this year.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Currently going back and forth between "Fingerprints of the Gods" and "War God", both by Graham Hancock.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

My wife just finished reading "Revival" by Stephen King. She said the ending was rather anti-climatic unfortunately.
Rare Blade

Post by Rare Blade »

Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving
Shooter Mike

Post by Shooter Mike »

Killing Patton
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Having read Mario Puzo's The Godfather, I couldn't help but snag The Family Corleone, on sale at DG for $3 :)
Hardback edition at that. So far, its proved to be a decent read. Luca Brasi fans will enjoy more so I believe.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Reading The Footsteps of the Messiah right now.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Finished 100 Years of Solitude then read Fahrenheit 451 and now am starting the third book in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series: 'Life, the Universe, and Everything'
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

About to start The Mad God's Amulet by Michael Moorcock
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

For those of you who read on tablets etc, then you might want to check out sites like feedbooks.com. They have a lot of public domain books that can be downloaded for free.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

For classics, there are lots of books available at the gutenberg project - http://www.gutenberg.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; IIRC.

Right now I am finally reading The Butlerian Jihad, one of the Dune prequel series books by Frank Herbert's son, Brian. Have not made a ton of progress yet, but some. Also determined to work my way through Finnegans Wake by Joyce.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Went from 'Life, the Universe, and Everything' by Douglas Adams to Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut and now am on to Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.

I am in the down time between a new job starting so I have had an awesome amount of time for reading.
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. Been trying to finish it for years.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

chuckd wrote:Went from 'Life, the Universe, and Everything' by Douglas Adams to Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut and now am on to Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.

I am in the down time between a new job starting so I have had an awesome amount of time for reading.
Good selection of books there! Catch-22 is one of my favorites.

I just finished reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy last week. Right now I'm reading The Lone Samurai: The Life of Miyamoto Musashi by William Scott Wilson, which chronicles the life of one of Japan's most famous samurai.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Just finished Dune, which I had mixed feelings about. About to start The Sot-Weed Factor by John Barth, yet another hefty tome (700 pages), but I couldn't resist a "satirical nihilist dark comedy" set in colonial Maryland (which is my understanding of the content).
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

jabba359 wrote: Good selection of books there! Catch-22 is one of my favorites.

I just finished reading Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy last week. Right now I'm reading The Lone Samurai: The Life of Miyamoto Musashi by William Scott Wilson, which chronicles the life of one of Japan's most famous samurai.
Thanks! I tend to base my next book off of how I felt after the previous. Catch-22 has me thinking of a good scifi, and may go for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip Dick. This was the basis for the move BladeRunner, albeit a loose basis from what I hear.

I also am tempted by Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy by John le Carre.

I have never heard of either of your selections, though, The Lone Samurai sounds pretty interesting!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

chuckd wrote: Thanks! I tend to base my next book off of how I felt after the previous. Catch-22 has me thinking of a good scifi, and may go for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip Dick. This was the basis for the move BladeRunner, albeit a loose basis from what I hear.

I also am tempted by Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy by John le Carre.
!
Tinker Tailor is superb- richly detailed and just a joy to read.
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is quite short but good fun- like so many Dick movie adaptations, the text is quite different in tone to the film, but some key plot points remain clear.

I'm re-reading "Guards, Guards" by Terry Pratchett in honour of the passing of the great man....A real loss to literature and a man who shaped so much of my early thinking....
Vetinari will forever by the idiosyncratic tyrant in the Oblong Office
Vimes will forever proceed down the mean streets of Ankh-Morpork.
Granny will never walk across the black sands with Death.
The Librarian will ook forever.
Moist will never con anyone else.....