What Are You Reading ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kiwisailor

Re: What Are You Reading ?

Post by kiwisailor »

Tossed out the T.V, 20yrs back, so get through a few books.

Currently re-reading "Adventure Travel In the Third World" by Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin.
Great tips on Travel if going off the beaten track.

Other (I guess most people read multi books at same time, helps if cross eyed) is "Tales of a Shaman's Apprentice" by Mark J Plotkin.
Fascinating book about this Ethno-Biologist"s travel through South American Jungles.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Currently -Revelation

On deck - Ezekiel

Ken
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

kbuzbee wrote:Currently -Revelation

On deck - Ezekiel

Ken
Very good. I just finished up Luke.
Going to head toward Daniel.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Daniel is amazing! Of the Gospels, John is my favorite, but Luke is a very unique read. Have you read RC Sproul's book on Luke? He does a very nice walk through.

Ken
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

kbuzbee wrote:Daniel is amazing! Of the Gospels, John is my favorite, but Luke is a very unique read. Have you read RC Sproul's book on Luke? He does a very nice walk through.

Ken
No, but I will. Thank you.
I have read a book on Peter though.
Peter was a very interesting fellow.
The Bible is just utterly amazing!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Just finished "The Son" by Philipp Meyer, a multi-generational novel set in Texas from 1840's to date.

Excellent modern American fiction, up there with "The Corrections" by Jonathan Franzen, albeit altogether different.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I just finished "The Sirens of Titan" by Kurt Vonnegut, which was quite good, in a Vonnegutty sort of way. His books could almost be classified as sci-fi, since they use things such as: predictions on the future, the nature of space and time, and outlandish technology. However, the point is always to reveal/explore things about human nature and the human condition, so the sci-fi content is really just a device. I'm a backwards Vonnegut fan, in that I like his "lesser" works more than his more famous ones. Galapagos is my favorite, and Slaughterhouse-Five is probably my least favorite (of the five or so I've read).

Anyway, I also wanted to mention that Sal might be a secret Vonnegut fan. Due to the galactic nature of the story, Vonnegut often calls out more than the standard location:
The town was Newport, Rhode Island, U.S.A, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way.
...Which of course immediately reminded me of the call-out on Golden made Spydies.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Atlas Shrugged. The Fountainhead is unquestionably the best book I've ever read and I'm enjoying Atlas Shrugged thus far.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

Desert God - by Wilbur Smith.

Love his books - have read them all.

:)
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Without Remorse, Clancy.
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

MacLaren wrote:There's so many books that qualify as my favorite. Pretty much impossible to pick one. What with the Harry Potter series, John Grishsms The Rain Maker, Tom Clancy's The Cardinal of the Kremlin..... Those are just a few. Lot a great reads out there. I would also like to mention, that after The Killer Angels author Michael Shaara passed, his son Jeff wrote both the prequel God's and General's and the sequel to Gettysburg The Last Full Measure. Both great, especially God's and General's. If you haven't read The Killer Angels, then I would suggest to start with God's and General's.
MacLauren I figured you'd be reading "Country Boy's Guide To Surviving in Asheville"... :D

Me...I'm a war history nut. I have always loved The Dambusters (the movie) and wanted to read more about the actual raid and planning. I had always wanted Guy Gibson's own book "Enemy Coast Ahead" and finally located it in hardcover (my preference) at a decent price on Amazon (I'd searched every few months for a couple years!) I am finishing it now. Ironically, his writing style is sometimes hard to follow, and only the last few chapters deal with the actual raid on the dams.

Prior to this book, I read "Jimmy Stewart-Bomber Pilot". GOOD READ, especially for JS fans. The great thing about Jimmy's military service was that he avoided all the perks he COULD have gotten by being a celebrity, and ONLY took advantage of a few IF they benefited his men. He avoided the spotlight and specifically fought for a combat command as opposed to just something like making appearances or movies for the government. By all reports he was a great commander to his men and looked after their welfare. He also flew more combat missions than command wanted him to, which could have gotten him in trouble. His plane and his squadron showed great discipline under him.

The only weird thing is every direct quote by Jimmy in the book I heard (or read out loud to myself) in Jimmy's voice. :D
David

Blue Titanium/Jigged Bone: Endura Damascus, Delica Damascus (finally!)
Foliage G10: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
OD Green G10: Worker Sprint
Black FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG, Dragonfly FFG, Matriarch 2, Lil Matriarch, Centofante 3, Salt 1 PE
Grey FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Purple FRN: Endura FFG, Delica FFG
Green FRN: Delica FFG
Denim Blue FRN: Lil Matriarch PE (Thanks McL!)
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Read 'The Man With the Golden Gun' by Ian Fleming over the weekend. I love Fleming's books, they feel like a whole different telling of the story the movies portrayed.

Right now I am a ways into '100 Years of Solitude' by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and so far it is fantastic.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

noseoil wrote:Without Remorse, Clancy.
Awesome, awesome book!!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

David from NC wrote:
MacLaren wrote:There's so many books that qualify as my favorite. Pretty much impossible to pick one. What with the Harry Potter series, John Grishsms The Rain Maker, Tom Clancy's The Cardinal of the Kremlin..... Those are just a few. Lot a great reads out there. I would also like to mention, that after The Killer Angels author Michael Shaara passed, his son Jeff wrote both the prequel God's and General's and the sequel to Gettysburg The Last Full Measure. Both great, especially God's and General's. If you haven't read The Killer Angels, then I would suggest to start with God's and General's.
MacLauren I figured you'd be reading "Country Boy's Guide To Surviving in Asheville"... :D

Me...I'm a war history nut. I have always loved The Dambusters (the movie) and wanted to read more about the actual raid and planning. I had always wanted Guy Gibson's own book "Enemy Coast Ahead" and finally located it in hardcover (my preference) at a decent price on Amazon (I'd searched every few months for a couple years!) I am finishing it now. Ironically, his writing style is sometimes hard to follow, and only the last few chapters deal with the actual raid on the dams.

Prior to this book, I read "Jimmy Stewart-Bomber Pilot". GOOD READ, especially for JS fans. The great thing about Jimmy's military service was that he avoided all the perks he COULD have gotten by being a celebrity, and ONLY took advantage of a few IF they benefited his men. He avoided the spotlight and specifically fought for a combat command as opposed to just something like making appearances or movies for the government. By all reports he was a great commander to his men and looked after their welfare. He also flew more combat missions than command wanted him to, which could have gotten him in trouble. His plane and his squadron showed great discipline under him.

The only weird thing is every direct quote by Jimmy in the book I heard (or read out loud to myself) in Jimmy's voice. :D
lol, I hear ya man.
some interesting reads. Ill check em out.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Reading The Sunset Limited, by Cormac McCarthy. After posting to this thread I realized I'd missed more of his books than I thought. This isn't a book so much as it's a script for a short film. A fast reader could polish this off in less than an hour. It's interesting, but I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone.

Up next: Dune. (Which I'll be reading on the 9hr flight to Amsterdam. Gloat gloat gloat.)
Invective

Post by Invective »

Well, I finished up whatever I was reading in my last post, Ithink it was some OSC and Hesse, and moved on to a compilation of rogue stories fittingly called Rogues, and also workin my way through Starship Troopers. Just picked up a lot of Heinlein as well as some Frank Herbert so I've got some good sci-fi on deck for this weekend since I expect to be able to finish Starship Troppers quickly
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

tvenuto wrote:Reading The Sunset Limited, by Cormac McCarthy. After posting to this thread I realized I'd missed more of his books than I thought. This isn't a book so much as it's a script for a short film. A fast reader could polish this off in less than an hour. It's interesting, but I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone.

Up next: Dune. (Which I'll be reading on the 9hr flight to Amsterdam. Gloat gloat gloat.)
Is it your first time reading Dune? I just read it this past year and loved it. How I managed to go so many years of my life without reading this book before is beyond me, especially considering I'm a pretty big sci-fi fan. After completing Dune, I watched the David Lynch movie. It's probably been a decade and a half since I last saw it and I forgot what a turd that film is. :cool:
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

It is my first time. You know it's funny, I actually chose to read Dune based on a David Foster Wallace piece on David Lynch, which mentions why Dune turned out to be such a turd. I've spoken with several people and every one of them say that Dune and Starwars should have traded places, since Dune actually had the story to support a saga. So, I'm looking forward to it. I'm not a sci-fi junky by any means, but I appreciate good stories and good writing, which seems to be a rare combination nowadays.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

tvenuto wrote:Reading The Sunset Limited, by Cormac McCarthy. After posting to this thread I realized I'd missed more of his books than I thought. This isn't a book so much as it's a script for a short film. A fast reader could polish this off in less than an hour. It's interesting, but I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone.

You lucky dog! Man, some people just have it made ;)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Haha, I certainly believe in luck, but I think a lot of times you make your own. It's all how you frame it. Tell your wife you decided to surprise her with a trip to Europe! Amsterdam no less! Museums! Van Gogh! Also, you'll be unavailable for a few hours on Sunday. Mainly though, Expedia had an absolute nonsense deal when packaging flight and hotel to Amsterdam during this period. Probably not a super popular time to visit.

Unless you were referring to me getting to read Dune? That was just $10 on Amazon.