What Are You Reading ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
A.S.

Re: What Are You Reading ?

Post by A.S. »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:29 pm
A.S. wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:02 am
A Sportsman's Sketches by Ivan Turgenev
&
No Man Is an Island by Thomas Merton
Turgenev is the man. Fathers and Sons was phenomenal.

Currently reading essays from Aldous Huxley and poetry by Philip Larkin.

Strongly recommend all of you to read the open "High Windows" by Larkin
A Sportsman's Sketches is turning out to be a better book than Fathers and Sons to me. Next book of his you'd recommend?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:38 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:34 pm
I am reading the Fellowship of the Ring. I have not read it since I was a teenager. I read it several times, back then. It is interesting to see where the movies diverged from the books.

Excellent. I've read the Lord of the Rings trilogy probably 3 or 4 times. It's the only fantasy genre book(s) I have read but it is one of my top favorites.

I recently finished a couple books on the history and development of the King James Bible.
You need to read Archbishop Cranmer's Immortal Bequest by Leuenberger and Thomas Cranmer's Doctrine of Repentance by Null to go along with your reading.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:48 pm
Scott Anderson's "Lawrence in Arabia."

Growing up I can remember hearing the name plenty of times, but I never sat down and read T.E. Lawrence's story. It's been a very good read so far.
I read his book, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom. Very interesting.

Proverbs 9:1
"Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars"

I was surprised at how many books have been written about him.
https://www.cliohistory.org/thomas-lawr ... ary/books/
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:50 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
I am reading the Fellowship of the Ring. I have not read it since I was a teenager. I read it several times, back then. It is interesting to see where the movies diverged from the books.

Excellent. I've read the Lord of the Rings trilogy probably 3 or 4 times. It's the only fantasy genre book(s) I have read but it is one of my top favorites.

I recently finished a couple books on the history and development of the King James Bible.
You need to read Archbishop Cranmer's Immortal Bequest by Leuenberger and Thomas Cranmer's Doctrine of Repentance by Null to go along with your reading.

Interesting, I'll have to look into that sometime.

Right now, I need to finish reading The Closing of the American Mind by Allan Bloom. I'm bad for starting books and not finishing them.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:58 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:50 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Interesting, I'll have to look into that sometime.

Right now, I need to finish reading The Closing of the American Mind by Allan Bloom. I'm bad for starting books and not finishing them.
I have books in every room. When I am in that room, I pick up that book and read. When I move to another room, I read that book. I have a problem. :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I visit A LOT of homes. It’s depressing how many have no books in. Some are like libraries, though!

Just finished E M Forster’s A Passage To India, a beautifully written but stinging indictment of the British Raj.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

shunsui wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:44 am
Vivi wrote:

Growing up I can remember hearing the name plenty of times, but I never sat down and read T.E. Lawrence's story. It's been a very good read so far.

Years ago I sat next to an old lady at a lunch. I thought I was in for a dull time, but it turned out she was brought up in Palestine where her father was a diplomat. She had actually met T E Lawrence. Only about 8 at the time, the most memorable thing about him was that he smelt!
She had also met Albert Einstein.
vivi

Post by vivi »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:34 am
shunsui wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:44 am
Vivi wrote:

Years ago I sat next to an old lady at a lunch. I thought I was in for a dull time, but it turned out she was brought up in Palestine where her father was a diplomat. She had actually met T E Lawrence. Only about 8 at the time, the most memorable thing about him was that he smelt!
She had also met Albert Einstein.
Wow, sounds like that woman would have some incredible stories to share.
:unicorn
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Colonel David Hackworth's excellent book about the post WW2, Korean War and Vietnam military book "About Face" is by my bed.

Stephen Reichlen's books on cooking BBQ are by my chair. (working on a new rub recipe)

Books on meditation, yoga, physical conditioning and others are in my hospital "go" bag. ) I spend too much time there.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:34 am
She had actually met T E Lawrence. Only about 8 at the time, the most memorable thing about him was that he smelt!
He was sick one time with a bad fever. His camel was nearby and making considerable noise or something. He yelled at the camel. The camel came over and defecated all over him. Our man in Arabia, too much fun. :D
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:18 am
Colonel David Hackworth's excellent book about the post WW2, Korean War and Vietnam military book "About Face" is by my bed.

Stephen Reichlen's books on cooking BBQ are by my chair. (working on a new rub recipe)

Books on meditation, yoga, physical conditioning and others are in my hospital "go" bag. ) I spend too much time there.
I don’t know whether you would be particularly interested, but some books on the pre-Vietnam French IndoChina war I’ve found fascinating are Street Without Joy, **** in a Very Small Place (about Dien Bien Phu) and a first hand para’s account Operation Waste.

I’ve just started Iyengar Yoga and slightly astonished how much positive effect it has had over just a few weeks.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:15 am
OldHoosier62 wrote:

I don’t know whether you would be particularly interested, but some books on the pre-Vietnam French IndoChina war I’ve found fascinating are Street Without Joy, **** in a Very Small Place (about Dien Bien Phu) and a first hand para’s account Operation Waste.

I’ve just started Iyengar Yoga and slightly astonished how much positive effect it has had over just a few weeks.
Thank you for the recommendation but I've read all those also... several times actually. I've read About Face at least 8 times over the years. Military history is a serious hobby of mine these days. I'm always haunting used book stores looking for old books.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:09 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
OldHoosier62 wrote:

Thank you for the recommendation but I've read all those also... several times actually. I've read About Face at least 8 times over the years. Military history is a serious hobby of mine these days. I'm always haunting used book stores looking for old books.
I’d certainly be very interested in your top recommendations.

One obscure book on French military history I found was For Honour Alone, about how the cadets of the Saumur cavalry school took on an armoured division on the Loire with just their training weapons - after the official surrender.

I’m sure you must have read A Savage War of Peace by Alistair Horne about Algeria.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:57 am
OldHoosier62 wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:
OldHoosier62 wrote:

One obscure book on French military history I found was For Honour Alone, about how the cadets of the Saumur cavalry school took on an armoured division on the Loire with just their training weapons - after the official surrender.

I’m sure you must have read A Savage War of Peace by Alistair Horne about Algeria.
You must read “Dispatches” by Michael Herr. It is the real deal.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:14 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
OldHoosier62 wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

Bought on fleabay for less than the price of a coffee! It’ll be nice to read real paper rather than electronic ink for a change.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:08 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:14 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
OldHoosier62 wrote:

Bought on fleabay for less than the price of a coffee! It’ll be nice to read real paper rather than electronic ink for a change.
Excellent. It will haunt you. You will read it again.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

McLaren said

"Australia and New Zealand are both incredibly beautiful.
That is a very tempting offer! Thank you :)
Maybe one day"

Please do. We'll be here, unless of course those Aussies cut the chain and let us float away.

Every year, when they are pre-occupied (watching Melbourne Cup, Horse racing or Sheep Dog Trials) we sneakily pull in another link of the chain.

Soon (another Million years or so) we'll be able to step across and claim our Sheep back (refer the Tunnel discussed intelligent Beings thread)
Some say they've been pulling OUR chain for years..

See You here.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

A Book of Travellers' Tales By Eric Newby. ( He also wrote The Last Grain Race)

A compilation of Tales by Famous and Infamous Traveller's and Explorers in History.
Fascinating insight into attitudes and how People lived around the World.
One of my most treasured books. (I have a lot..)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Grisham's latest, The Reckoning, was superb.
I think a very many of y'all would love it.
He actually takes us back to the beginning of WWII, in the Philippines. ( Think Baton Death March )
vivi

Post by vivi »

Just finished F.E. Halliday's Concise History of England. Good read. Needed to keep my phone handy though, it was a little too concise on some subjects. Found myself looking up the people and wars I was less familiar with. Very nice overview.

Now I'm reading this:

Surprised it isn't longer, haha.
:unicorn