What Are You Reading ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
HorserloverFat

What Are You Reading ?

Post by HorserloverFat »

Hopefully, you are spending more time reading books than watching the Idiot Box , right ? :D I enjoy reading books on the subject of Greco-Roman history. I'm reading Rubicon by Tom Holland now. I recommend the following " historical novels " - that is if you have an interest in the subject : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gates_of_Fire" target="_blank

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_(novel" target="_blank)
Enkidude

Re: What Are You Reading ?

Post by Enkidude »

Currently reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry, The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson, and the Tao of Jeet Kun Do by Bruce Lee.

I've just finished several Philip K. Dick books and judging by your name, I assume you have probably read them too. ;)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'm a sci-fi fan and I just finished reading the Orson Scott Card's Ender series.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Lewis and Clark and Civil War is my read.. Fields of Honor. Pivotal Battles of the Civil War is my current read.. John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Currently reading "Christianity, The First Three Thousand Years" by Diarmaid MacCulloch. At a thousand pages it has to be very selective, for instance the Waldensians get about a half a page. A brilliant work which gives full weight to the early Middle East denominations and the Orthodox Church.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I tend to have at least 2 books on the go at once- I'm a voracious reader:

Right now I'm re-reading "The Wrath Of The Lemmingmen"- the third in the Space Captain Smith books by Toby Smith- The British Space Empire is keeping space civilised with the help of tea and moral fibre....Hilarious and poking good fun at some of the 'sacred cows' of sci-fi (http://www.spacecaptainsmith.com" target="_blank)

Also reading Protect & Defend by Vince Flynn- very 'Boy's own adventure' stuff and good fun if a bit 'brain out'....
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

First off, I have to say that I love reading. I try to complete a minimum of 26 books a year (an average of one every other week). My interests range from sci-fi and fantasy, to biographies, science, classics, and history. A few of my favorite authors are: Charles Dickens, Franz Kafka, David McCullough (history), Brian Greene (string theory and physics), J.R.R. Tolkien, J.K. Rowling, Cormac McCarthy, C.S. Lewis, and Michael Crichton.

My brother-in-law recently recommended the Mistborn series to me, by Brandon Sanderson. It's an epic fantasy series about an oppressed worker-class society where the "noble" bloodlines have a select jedi-like power. There are a few, however, that have all the powers, and one of these individuals decides to use his abilities to help the oppressed workers overthrow their unjust, god-like ruler and his noble cronies. I just finished up book 1 and it was fantastic. Great action, character development, and a ton of fun to read. I'm starting book 2 today.

Alongside my reading of novels, I'm also a fan of a few comic books and mix in a trade paperback (which collects a whole year's run of a comic into one book) or collection. Probably my favorite is Usagi Yojimbo, and I just finished Volume 20 (of 28...and counting). I've also been reading the Hellboy Library Editions, Saga trade paperbacks, as well as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ultimate Editions. Once I wrap up Saga, I plan on reading the author's other series, Y: The Last Man.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

jabba359 wrote:First off, I have to say that I love reading. I try to complete a minimum of 26 books a year (an average of one every other week). My interests range from sci-fi and fantasy, to biographies, science, classics, and history. A few of my favorite authors are: Charles Dickens, Franz Kafka, David McCullough (history), Brian Greene (string theory and physics), J.R.R. Tolkien, J.K. Rowling, Cormac McCarthy, C.S. Lewis, and Michael Crichton.
I'm right there with you on a lot of these. I've read almost every McCarthy book (I think I've only not read Outer Dark), I read All The Pretty Horses four times (once I read it twice in a row), Cities of the Plain twice, and Blood Meridian thrice. I haven't read Crichton in a long time, most of those were in high school. I love Brian Greene as well. My interests are non-fiction and classics mostly, but I'm always open to suggestion. You didn't list Vladimir Nabokov, so allow me to recommend Lolita, which is just phenomenally written, and he wasn't even a native English speaker!

Right now I'm reading Salt: A World History, which is about how common salt has shaped the destiny of the world in far more ways than we probably think. It's pretty good, well written with some dry wit thrown in, but I feel it lacks a common thread tying each chapter (which focuses on a different region) together. I also just finished Neptunes Inferno: The US Navy at Guadalcanal, which is about a series of battles in WWII. Very well written, and makes you realize that fighting on a ship was probably the most terrifying and terrible way to serve in WWII.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Two texts on Buddhism, Elmer Keith's "Gun Notes", a book on writing an Android application......and a book on baking bread. Yep, I'm broad spectrum oddball.
Invective

Post by Invective »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'm a sci-fi fan and I just finished reading the Orson Scott Card's Ender series.
Ooh those are some of my favorite books! I try to reread the entire series (Ender's Game, the Shadow Series, and Speaker for the dead series) at least once a year. If you liked the Ender's series/are a sci fi fan, I would definitely recommend Alan Dean Foster's The Damned Trilogy. It's also about an intergalactic war and is a brilliant series. Also available online if you can't find it at a local store.

As for what I'm reading, I'm coincidentally working my way through Ender's Shadow, which is Ender's Game told through the perspective of another character. Also reading the first book of The Kingkillers Chronicle, The Name of the Wind on my computer whenever I get bored in class. And finally, I've got a copy of Steppenwolfe by Herman Hesse that I'm trying to slog through for my book club but **** is it heavy.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Invective wrote:
chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'm a sci-fi fan and I just finished reading the Orson Scott Card's Ender series.
Ooh those are some of my favorite books! I try to reread the entire series (Ender's Game, the Shadow Series, and Speaker for the dead series) at least once a year. If you liked the Ender's series/are a sci fi fan, I would definitely recommend Alan Dean Foster's The Damned Trilogy. It's also about an intergalactic war and is a brilliant series. Also available online if you can't find it at a local store.

As for what I'm reading, I'm coincidentally working my way through Ender's Shadow, which is Ender's Game told through the perspective of another character. Also reading the first book of The Kingkillers Chronicle, The Name of the Wind on my computer whenever I get bored in class. And finally, I've got a copy of Steppenwolfe by Herman Hesse that I'm trying to slog through for my book club but **** is it heavy.
Yeh, I really liked Bean's story too. :D

I do think that I'd enjoy a continuation to the "descoladeros" story.

Those are some nice suggestions, thanks. I will be checking them out as I was looking for another "series" to read. Somehow, I'm partial to those. I regularly go back to Asimov's Foundation series too.
Invective

Post by Invective »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
Invective wrote:

Those are some nice suggestions, thanks. I will be checking them out as I was looking for another "series" to read. Somehow, I'm partial to those. I regularly go back to Asimov's Foundation series too.
I think there's supposed to be another sequel/prequel(??) to Children of the mind where we find out where the descoladeros came from. Pretty sure it's called Shadow's Alive, although I dunno when it's slated to come out.

Also did you read the prequels written by OSC and Aaron Johnston? It covers the build-up to the First Formic War. We get to see Mazer's life and some other new characters, it's pretty cool. They retconned a fair amount of stuff from the original series and it defintely isn't as well written but it adds more to the universe which is always good.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Invective wrote:
chuck_roxas45 wrote:
Invective wrote:

I think there's supposed to be another sequel/prequel(??) to Children of the mind where we find out where the descoladeros came from. Pretty sure it's called Shadow's Alive, although I dunno when it's slated to come out.

Also did you read the prequels written by OSC and Aaron Johnston? It covers the build-up to the First Formic War. We get to see Mazer's life and some other new characters, it's pretty cool. They retconned a fair amount of stuff from the original series and it defintely isn't as well written but it adds more to the universe which is always good.
Hhhmmm first time I heard of the prequels. More to check out. It's also good to know that the descoladeros story is going to be fleshed out. :D
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

tvenuto wrote:
jabba359 wrote:First off, I have to say that I love reading. I try to complete a minimum of 26 books a year (an average of one every other week). My interests range from sci-fi and fantasy, to biographies, science, classics, and history. A few of my favorite authors are: Charles Dickens, Franz Kafka, David McCullough (history), Brian Greene (string theory and physics), J.R.R. Tolkien, J.K. Rowling, Cormac McCarthy, C.S. Lewis, and Michael Crichton.
I'm right there with you on a lot of these. I've read almost every McCarthy book (I think I've only not read Outer Dark), I read All The Pretty Horses four times (once I read it twice in a row), Cities of the Plain twice, and Blood Meridian thrice. I haven't read Crichton in a long time, most of those were in high school. I love Brian Greene as well. My interests are non-fiction and classics mostly, but I'm always open to suggestion. You didn't list Vladimir Nabokov, so allow me to recommend Lolita, which is just phenomenally written, and he wasn't even a native English speaker!
You're probably not missing a whole lot with Crichton. I consider him my literary junk food. It's not that great, but I still enjoy it. :p

I haven't read any Nabakov, but will check it out.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara - one of my all time favorites....
Fearless.... the Adam Brown story. Prolly my favorite.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

MacLaren wrote:The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara - one of my all time favorites....
I just read that a few month ago actually. Was back at my parent's place and saw it on the book shelf so I brought it back home with me to re-read. Awesome book, really fleshes out that time in our history. Made me pull out the old Gettysburg DVD as well...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

tvenuto wrote:
MacLaren wrote:The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara - one of my all time favorites....
I just read that a few month ago actually. Was back at my parent's place and saw it on the book shelf so I brought it back home with me to re-read. Awesome book, really fleshes out that time in our history. Made me pull out the old Gettysburg DVD as well...
Awesome! Joshua Chamberlain is my favorite Civil War figure. Pretty amazing fellow there. A very educated Professor at Bowdoin College in Maine. Spoke 7 different languages. Just had to join. Started as Lt.Colonel. Finished as a Major General with the Congressional Medal of Honor. Was picked to receive the Confederate Surrender, then shocked the world when he and the Union soldiers saluted R.E. Lee as Lee left Appomattox. And was first place during Grants last Grand Review of the Army of the Potomac.
A marvelous soldier and one of many hero's of Gettysburg.
Last edited by MacLaren on Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I have been thinking a book reading thread has been needed here for some time! Well played!

I am currently reading Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe. Before that it was a couple of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy books. I also love collecting old, hopefully first edition books and old hard backs are a pleasure to read. My Crusoe was printed in 1888, and while the original was well before that, it is still one heck of an old book with a lot of character!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I know that it might seem like it at first but please hear me out>> I'm in no way trying to derail or hijack this interesting thread so please don't think that. But in all sincerity I do have a great book that should be required reading for everyone here on this great Forum we know as SPYDERVILLE :cool:

The book entitled "The Spyderco Story" by Kenneth Delavigne truly is a great book. I have the hardcover copy I got back in the early 2000s and I wouldn't trade it for 4 of Spyderco's top models at this time because I've heard that the hardcover edition is getting nearly impossible to find for under $300 or so. But in all seriousness I know it's not a book like you probably wanted to hear about on this thread but I'm telling all of you that the "THE SPYDERCO STORY" is truly a great book about how this great company literally did come from rags to riches ( well sort of anyway). And I truly wish someone would take on the task of writing a sequel to that great book.

I do have one other book that I can highly recommend during these hard times. It is a book on the subject of survival and preparedness. The book is entitled "Dare To Prepare" by Holly Deyo. I heard her on a radio interview after I bought the book some time back and she said that she put 18 years of research into that book. Her and her husband Stan Deyo have predicted the hard times we are currently in for some time now. I heard them do radio interviews almost 10 years ago.

Both books are well written and there is a lot to be learned and gained from both of them. OK you all can get back to your Stephen King stuff now :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

There's so many books that qualify as my favorite. Pretty much impossible to pick one. What with the Harry Potter series, John Grishsms The Rain Maker, Tom Clancy's The Cardinal of the Kremlin..... Those are just a few. Lot a great reads out there. I would also like to mention, that after The Killer Angels author Michael Shaara passed, his son Jeff wrote both the prequel God's and General's and the sequel to Gettysburg The Last Full Measure. Both great, especially God's and General's. If you haven't read The Killer Angels, then I would suggest to start with God's and General's.