What Are You Reading ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
z4vdBt

Re: What Are You Reading ?

Post by z4vdBt »

previous ten

Early Indians: The Story of Our Ancestors and Where We Came From, Tony Joseph 2018
LaRose, Louise Erdrich 2016
The Trouble with Goats and Sheep, Joanna Cannon 2016
American Legend: The Real-Life Adventures of David Crockett, Buddy Levy 2005
The Sixth Man (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell #5), David Baldacci 2011
Killer Show: The Station Nightclub Fire, America's Deadliest Rock Concert, John Barylick 2012
Stasiland: Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall, Anna Funder 2003
Crazy Horse and Custer, Stephen E. Ambrose 1975
The Best of Connie Willis: Award-Winning Stories, Connie Willis 1993
War of Shadows: Codebreakers, Spies, and the Secret Struggle to Drive the Nazis from the Middle East, Gershom Gorenberg 2021

currently reading

put this down to start No Man's Land (short expiration date)

The American West, Dee Brown 1994
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I was just reading some stuff in General Discussion. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Going through Ellroy's L.A. quartets atm, finishing The Big Nowhere. Once the rest is read, I'll switch to Baumann's Liquid Modernity.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
vivi

Post by vivi »

Just blazed through One Week After, the sequel to One Second After. Waiting on book 3 in the mail, debating what to read in the meantime.
:unicorn
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

ThomC wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:30 am
Going through Ellroy's L.A. quartets atm, finishing The Big Nowhere. Once the rest is read, I'll switch to Baumann's Liquid Modernity.
I'd recommend Ellroy's American Tabloid and the Cold Six Thousand.

The third book, Blood's A Rover, didn't do much for me.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Donnie Brasco
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Lady of the Lake by Sir Walter Scott.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I was reading some of Blackstone recently and some of it made its way into my most recent book.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

On vacation last week I picked up an autobiographical work about two kids growing up on a cattle ranch in the American Southwest. It's been fascinating reading.
514g79s+r-L._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/Lazy-Growing-Cat ... 0812966732
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Recently finished Undaunted Courage, about the Lewis and Clark expedition with a biographical emphasis on Meriweather Lewis, by Stephen Ambrose.

Also recently read The Bounty, a history of the mutiny on the HMS Bounty, by Caroline Alexander.

Both excellent books.

I'm currently working on In the Heart of the Sea, the tragedy of the whaleship Essex, by Nathaniel Philbrick.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Finished the above books, started reading Shakespeare again, currently going through The Merchant of Venice.

Also slowly working through a Latin reader, and Wheelock's textbook, trying to learn the classical language.

I'm also about halfway through The Forgotten Man, a history of the Great Depression, by Amity Schlaes.

I just finished re-reading Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome. One of my favorites. I still laugh out loud when reading it.
- Connor

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:15 am
Recently finished Undaunted Courage, about the Lewis and Clark expedition with a biographical emphasis on Meriweather Lewis, by Stephen Ambrose.

Also recently read The Bounty, a history of the mutiny on the HMS Bounty, by Caroline Alexander.

Both excellent books.

I'm currently working on In the Heart of the Sea, the tragedy of the whaleship Essex, by Nathaniel Philbrick.
This is amazing , I have Undaunted Courage to read and have already read the other two books . I getting ready to start this week The Craft We Chose by Richard L. Holm.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I'm re-reading Battle for Fall Planet, making a few updates. It is a lot better than my earlier stuff. I learn.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
max808

Post by max808 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:09 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:16 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:12 am
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M43YCTP/re ... 357&sr=8-1

My new book Fall Planet is out, now. It is an edge of your seat thrill ride.
Hey! Looks really interesting Doc. I will have to see if I can steal my wife's Kindle to read it. ;)
Let me know how you like it. It is not overly long, about the length of a Louis L'amour book.

It was well enough received that I have had requests for a sequel.
Awesome Doc, can't wait to read it. Have the film rights been negotiated yet?
:usflag

Past months mainly consisted of reading Casio G-Shock manuals and practicing/memorizing the functions I use the most. Their user interface is surprisingly simple once you get the hang of it and always consistent but the analog G can be a hassle to setup so study was required. You can get all their manuals on pdf for free these days on your phone.

Can I buy your book from my phone Doc? If so would you mind guiding me in the right direction? PayPal is an option if you're not against that, other than that I am disconnected/clueless. Much obliged and have yourselves a marvelous 4th of July!
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

max808 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:52 am
Doc Dan wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:12 am
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M43YCTP/re ... 357&sr=8-1

My new book Fall Planet is out, now. It is an edge of your seat thrill ride.
Hey! Looks really interesting Doc. I will have to see if I can steal my wife's Kindle to read it. ;)
Let me know how you like it. It is not overly long, about the length of a Louis L'amour book.

Past months mainly consisted of reading Casio G-Shock manuals and practicing/memorizing the functions I use the most. Their user interface is surprisingly simple once you get the hang of it and always consistent but the analog G can be a hassle to setup so study was required. You can get all their manuals on pdf for free these days on your phone.

Can I buy your book from my phone Doc? If so would you mind guiding me in the right direction? PayPal is an option if you're not against that, other than that I am disconnected/clueless. Much obliged and have yourselves a marvelous 4th of July!
I'm on Amazon. My newest book is The Rushing Tide. I did four books about the settling of a new planet and that is the last one in that series. Barren rock planets with breathable air is a fiction, as far as I am concerned. There have to be plants, or something that fills that niche, that will produce O2 and clean the air. In this book, a group of 100 people leave their lives on Earth and go to the new planet Tjardiz (j=y), then travel across the plains and through dangerous forests, to find a place to build a town and new homes. They face a lot of dangers along the way. It follows them for a few years. The others, in order, are Ten Wanted Men; The Man From Green Mountain; and Diamonds of the Arctic Night.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
max808

Post by max808 »

Thanks Doc, sounds intriguing and Lord knows I love me some survival sci-fi. Definitely getting some Predators vibes which is one of my favorite movies and franchises. Lots of potential for hazards/mishaps along the way, pretty sure there's some indigenous species on Tjardiz that are hostile to newcomers...
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:49 am
max808 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:52 am
Doc Dan wrote:
The Meat man wrote:

I'm on Amazon. My newest book is The Rushing Tide. I did four books about the settling of a new planet and that is the last one in that series. Barren rock planets with breathable air is a fiction, as far as I am concerned. There have to be plants, or something that fills that niche, that will produce O2 and clean the air. In this book, a group of 100 people leave their lives on Earth and go to the new planet Tjardiz (j=y), then travel across the plains and through dangerous forests, to find a place to build a town and new homes. They face a lot of dangers along the way. It follows them for a few years. The others, in order, are Ten Wanted Men; The Man From Green Mountain; and Diamonds of the Arctic Night.
Wonderful! I did not know about these but I will be sure to check them out!
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I just finished reading The Case of the Musical Cow by Erle Stanley Gardner over the weekend.

For the past several months I have been working my way through Dio's Rome, and I am about to finish Book 4 of 6, dealing with the short reign of Gaius Caesar Augustus Germanicus (better known by his childhood nickname Caligula). Amid stiff competition, he was possibly the worst of all the emperors of Rome.

The heavily abbreviated inscription reads, "Gaius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, High Priest, Tribune of the People"
i.jpg
- Connor

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The latest Jack Ryan Jr. novel, Zero Hour.
Pretty good thus far.