What Are You Reading ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
z4vdBt

Re: What Are You Reading ?

Post by z4vdBt »

M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Lonesome Dove for the 3rd time, it just keeps getting better. Gus is my hero!! :D
James Y

Post by James Y »

I just finished Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell. The novella is the basis of the movies The Thing From Another World (directed by Howard Hawks, 1951), and John Carpenter’s The Thing (1982), which is my favorite sci-fi/horror movie of all time. Interestingly enough, John Carpenter’s version is closer to the book than Howard Hawks’ version.

The concepts in the book were ahead of its time. But the characters’ archaic manner of speech really dates it.

Jim
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

James Y wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:50 am
I just finished Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell. The novella is the basis of the movies The Thing From Another World (directed by Howard Hawks, 1951), and John Carpenter’s The Thing (1982), which is my favorite sci-fi/horror movie of all time. Interestingly enough, John Carpenter’s version is closer to the book than Howard Hawks’ version.

The concepts in the book were ahead of its time. But the characters’ archaic manner of speech really dates it.

Jim
Strange, I always thought The Thing was a loose adaptation of Lovecraft's Mountains of Madness
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
James Y

Post by James Y »

ThomC wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:57 am
James Y wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:50 am

Jim
Strange, I always thought The Thing was a loose adaptation of Lovecraft's Mountains of Madness
ThomC, it was definitely adapted from Who Goes There?. John Carpenter was a big fan of the 1951 movie, but wanted his own version to be more faithful to Campbell’s 1938 novella.

I believe the movie you’re referring to is John Carpenter’s In The Mouth of Madness.

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

I had a friend send me a copy of Graham Hancock's Fingerprints of the Gods. He knew I'm really interested in history. It's a very interesting book, and researching every topic in the book on my own as I read I see a lot of holes in the history of civilization as it was taught to me in school.

Reminds me of when I first saw the Antikythera Mechanism. We're absolutely trying to put together the puzzle of human history without all the pieces.
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

z4vdBt wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:23 pm
[ goodreads link ]

I read that one several years ago when my mother started having memory problems. Lots of good advice in there for preserving function as you age.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:50 pm
z4vdBt wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:23 pm
[ goodreads link ]

I read that one several years ago when my mother started having memory problems. Lots of good advice in there for preserving function as you age.

This is what you read - above book is a brand new 2020 book.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Still looking at Larrins book.
Have also gotten into the Lee Child, Jack Reacher books. They're pretty fun to read!
OrangeShoes

Post by OrangeShoes »

Fiction - Daniel Steele
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Mad Mac wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:15 am
QANON: An Invitation to The Great Awakening by WWG1WGA
Save your money. I was really looking forward to this but I am so disappointed that I cannot recommend this book. It is a collection of the breathless connecting of disparate dots, transcripts of wild podcasts, reprints of frustrated blogs and desperate decoding of encrypted "drops" on 4chan, 8chan and 8kun.

It is not about QAnon. It is QAnon. As they say in the book, "do your own research".
Just do it somewhere else.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Just finished Romeo and Juliet. Will be starting on A Midsummer Night's Dream.

The other evening, I was reading the latest Blade magazine.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Jack Reacher book : Night School
James Y

Post by James Y »

Wendigo Lore: Monsters, Myths, and Madness, by Chad Lewis & Kevin Lee Nelson.

Jim
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:43 pm
I love the Reacher series, always makes me want to hop on a Greyhound bus to some obscure place and kick the crap out of some scumbags after eating a huge breakfast washed down with a pot of coffee!!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

M Sea wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:53 am
MacLaren wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:43 pm
I love the Reacher series, always makes me want to hop on a Greyhound bus to some obscure place and kick the crap out of some scumbags after eating a huge breakfast washed down with a pot of coffee!!
Ya know, I didn't even know the books existed until someone on the fourm here mentioned it.
I just started reading Lee Child this year.
Pretty bad eh? I think the 1st book written was in '96?
I like them though!
And, your right! Thats what he does.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

James Y

Post by James Y »

Life Is Too Short For Bad Kung Fu, by Adam Hsu.

I’ve enjoyed and learned a lot from Adam Hsu’s writings since the early 1980s, but with this latest book (from 2019), I find myself both agreeing and disagreeing with some of his observations about the martial arts. However, Adam Hsu still remains the best author/researcher writing about the subject of traditional Chinese martial arts overall. My late second teacher I had in Taiwan was a younger, junior classmate of Hsu, and I did meet Hsu once in Taiwan. At the time, Hsu was based in the San Francisco Bay Area and visiting Taiwan, but he later moved back home to Taiwan permanently.

I kind of understand Hsu’s desperation to preserve traditional kung fu in a world where it is less and less relevant, but at several points in this latest book, he comes across as elitist. I don’t know if that was his intention or not, or if it’s a matter of having reached an age where he just says whatever he feels (he’s almost 80).

Jim
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

First Family (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell #4), David Baldacci 2009.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Just watched a movie: "The Plot Against The President"

https://www.bitchute.com/video/IL3kb2i7jBdG/
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/