What Are You Reading ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JuPaul

Re: What Are You Reading ?

Post by JuPaul »

z4vdBt wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:46 am
The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver 1998.
That's an amazing book. I've read everything Kingsolver has written, and that was a favorite.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Fairies: A Dangerous History (2018), by Richard Sugg.

Well-researched and very well-written.

Yeah, I know my reading tastes are ‘different’. *shrug*. :)

Jim
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

"Kindred: Neanderthal Life, Love, Death and Art" by Rebecca Wragg Sykes.
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

Reminds me of watching full metal alchemy the show. Interesting world for sure
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Will be reading (when it comes out next week): The Tyranny of Merit: What's Become of the Common Good?. Ordered it based on the truths I found in: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... rk/615919/
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ReddFoxx wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:28 am
odomandr wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:39 am
I am currently working my way through Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. It's an account of Native American history as told from the point of view of Native Americans. Living in Colorado it's got some local interest but overall explains many of the events that brought us to where we are today
Yesterday, I just finished Sanderson's Mistborn, which I read at the suggestion of my wife. I dont often read fantasy novels, and ended up really enjoying it. My wife happens to have the next two books in the series and so I am really looking forward to reading them :-)
My kids have been reading pretty much all of Sanderson's stuff. I read a lot of fantasy and sci-fi as a kid, but have gotten away from it.

On our drive to/from California we listened to Roger Zelazney's Chronicles of Amber, which I loved as a teenager. I've been listening to them on drives with my kids for a while now and we've gotten to the sixth book (Trumps of Doom).
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:43 am
Will be reading (when it comes out next week): The Tyranny of Merit: What's Become of the Common Good?. Ordered it based on the truths I found in: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... rk/615919/
I'm totally following your posts just to see how the other half thinks. :)

I honestly think that understanding the thinking that underlies other viewpoints is a dying (and critically important) skill in the modern discourse. It drives me nuts when people try to boil down a rich system of beliefs to an internet meme. Anyway, I'm reading The Atlantic article you linked right now...
Red

Post by Red »

The Scarlett Ruse by John D. MacDonald. Its a little slow but it should pick up. Travis McGee is a great character!
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Re-reading Macbeth, again. Along with "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Hemingway....also a re-read.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:33 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:43 am
I'm totally following your posts just to see how the other half thinks. :)

I honestly think that understanding the thinking that underlies other viewpoints is a dying (and critically important) skill in the modern discourse. It drives me nuts when people try to boil down a rich system of beliefs to an internet meme. Anyway, I'm reading The Atlantic article you linked right now...
Glad you are.

But understand I’m just a boomer who doesn’t recognize himself in either the Right or the Left. I’m curious why.

I could say that Eisenhower is looking pretty good from where I sit today, but Jim Crow and union-busting did flourish then. Then came enactments of the Civil War amendments and a profound distrust of Government during the Vietnam War, and things have gone utterly haywire since.

When I leave this life, I want to know I‘ve done my utmost to understand all the tricks that have been played on me and others in this society of ours.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

Im over the tricks and games and on to working towards enriching the lives of myself and others by having a greater understanding of the world im in. It requires a good bit of self reflection and determining what is truly important but ultimately its helped me to escape to happier places.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

odomandr wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:53 am
Im over the tricks and games and on to working towards enriching the lives of myself and others by having a greater understanding of the world im in. It requires a good bit of self reflection and determining what is truly important but ultimately its helped me to escape to happier places.
To get (sort of) back on topic, have you read 10% Happier? It started me into meditation a couple years ago, which has been a positive experience in my life.
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

i have not but Ill check into it. I did listen to zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance...an audio book that reminded me why i dont normally consume that format.... i was on the road driving a good majority of the day though and it was reminded me to reflect on things and how much more I enjoy things when I can slow it all down
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

My favorite book about motorcycling, I must confess, is The Perfect Vehicle: What it is about Motorcycles by Melissa Holbrook Pierson. At the end of the first chapter, her tears land in her soup and I am hooked. She does not disappoint. Recommended reading for non-riders curious about the riding mystique as well as motorcycle enthusiasts.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Almost Midnight (Mike Bowditch #10), Paul Doiron 2019.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Sacred Cow: The Case for (Better) Meat, Diana Rodgers, Robb Wolf 2020.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

The Body (a guide for occupants). Bill Bryson.
Exactly, Simon Winchester.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Ngati Pom wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:39 am
The Body (a guide for occupants). Bill Bryson.

I liked A Walk in the Woods. May have to check that one out.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

It's very different to A Walk in the Woods, but still worth a read.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Rating America's Presidents by Robert Spencer
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.