What Are You Reading ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ngati Pom

Re: What Are You Reading ?

Post by Ngati Pom »

Just finished Tiamat’s Wrath, by James S.A. Corey, book 8 in the Expanse series,
Currently reading Other Minds ‘The Octopus and the evolution of intelligent life’ by Peter Godfrey Smith and Open Season ‘An angler’s life in New Zealand’.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

The Lilac Bus, Maeve Binchy 1984 - short stories.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I'm going back and forth between a few right now:

Impro: Improvisation and the Theatre, by Keith Johnstone. This is a very interesting book, because the teachings can be applied to so many more subjects in life besides acting.

Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected, by Rory Miller.

Training for Sudden Violence: 72 Practical Deills, by Rory Miller.

Principles-Baseqd Instruction for Self-Defense (and maybe life), by Rory Miller.

Obviously, I like the books by Rory Miller. I also like Marc MacYoung, Kris Wilder, and others' books, which tackle similar subjects. Even if you've trained martial arts for decades, there is always much to learn, and happily, these go far beyond martial arts "styles" and into the true heart of self-defense, including mental, emotional and legal ramifications.

Adventures in Cryptozoology, Vol. 1, by Richard Freeman.

Jim
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The late Charles McCarry’s Shelley’s Heart. Superb intrigue by a preeminent novelist who knew a thing or two about spying.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sober_Survival

Post by Sober_Survival »

Extreme Ownership- Jocko Willink
There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. John 15.13
James Y

Post by James Y »

1). Beyond The Picket Fence: Life Outside the Middle-Class Bubble; edited by Marc MacYoung.

I'm re-reading this. Tons of great information here. The book assumes its readers are middle-class Caucasians. I am not Caucasian. That's the only negative about it for me, because the information contained is important regardless of one's race. But it's easy enough to switch some things around and apply it to anyone going outside of their areas of familiarity. Absolutely essential for anyone truly interested in self-defense, because it's not about martial arts or fighting, but covers things not usually even mentioned in most self-defense books, but which are even more important to be aware of.

2). If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B-Movie Actor, by Bruce Campbell.

IMO, this is the all-time best, most entertaining, and the most enlightening, autobiography I've ever read. 'Nuff said!

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

"Feeding Nelson's Navy" - Book on feeding and supplying food to the Navy in Georgian England
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Sled Driver
CCEC1A3E-BE53-4462-8DC7-2D2F5CC5D74C.jpeg
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I haven't read this book yet but I heard an interview last night on Coast to Coast AM that I found to be riveting. The guy's name is Tom O'Neill and he has written a new comprehensive book on the Manson Family. The book is entitled "Chaos". It was one of the most intriguing interviews of an author that I had heard in quite some time. I do plan on getting the book "Chaos" really soon. He apparently found a lot of errors and flat out falsehoods in the old "Helter, Skelter" book and had hard facts to back it up with. For years most everyone considered Vincent Bugliosi's book "Helter Skelter to be the gospel truth of the Manson Family. He also discovered some really intriguing evidence that the Manson Family may have done quite a few other murders before they hit the Tate House. This guy is a real investigative reporter and did several years of research on the Manson Family and groups associated with them that I had never heard of previously.
I find it really interesting because on Aug, 09, of this year 2019 will be the 50th Anniversary of the Manson murders.
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Sixguns by Elmer Keith
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’m almost halfway through Stephen King’s new novel, The Institute. I don’t read much fiction anymore, but some of King’s novels can draw you in. King has always been particularly adept at creating extremely hateful human villains; evil people you hope will really get what’s coming to them at some point. He’s also very good at describing people’s unique physical appearances and personality quirks, more so than a lot of authors.

I had also enjoyed his novel Under the Dome when it was first released, for some of the same reasons. I find that I’ve been enjoying some of King’s newer novels more than the “classic” novels he was more known for, such as The Stand, etc. Probably the only “old” novels of his I really liked were It and The Talisman (co-written with Peter Straub).

Jim
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The Iliad by Homer.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Truman, David McCullough (1992).
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:40 am
The Iliad by Homer.
Ahh thousand-fold pain... :cool: such a stressful book lol

I'm wading through Ovid's Metamorphoses
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:59 am
The Meat man wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:40 am
The Iliad by Homer.
Ahh thousand-fold pain... :cool: such a stressful book lol

I'm wading through Ovid's Metamorphoses
I had read an abridged version once, but I figured it's about time I read the real thing. I've been really enjoying it too. Part of what makes it so intriguing is the fact that as ancient as the story is (written around 700 BC I believe) it's written in a very human, almost down-to-earth way. Reading it, I feel like I can know a little bit about the man Homer and what he was personally like.

Next up is the Odyssey.
Last edited by The Meat man on Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Lee’s Lieutenants Vol. 2, Douglas Southall Freeman, 1942
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse. Probably my favorite Jeeves and Wooster novel. :D
- Connor

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Guardians by John Grisham
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

last two finished:

One Minute Out, (Gray Man #9), Mark Greaney (2020)
Death in the Air: The True Story of a Serial Killer, the Great London Smog, and the Strangling of a City by Kate Winkler Dawson (2017)

currently reading:

All Creatures Great and Small (All Creatures Great and Small #1-2), James Herriot (1972)
James Y

Post by James Y »

I just finished reading Wild Bill: The True Story of the American Frontier’s First Gunfighter, by Tom Clavin (2019).

Jim