Recently finished Midnight's Furies - https://www.amazon.com/Midnights-Furies ... 0544705394
Great overview of the 1947 partition and the context surrounding it.
Now I've moved West to the ME - https://www.amazon.com/Concise-History- ... 0813350913
Also picked up a copy of the Quran to study. I had been reading some interesting facts about it and figured I ought to leaf through the book itself.....well at least a translation of its message.
Some interesting things I've learned about it so far:
- The translations are not considered the Quran. Only the original Arabic version is considered "official"
- Unlike The Bible, which had hundreds of years between the life of Jesus and scriptures being written down, the Quran was written down while Muhammed lived.
- However, the Suras were not compiled into a book until after he had died, and from what I've read some Suras did not make the cut, similar to Biblical Apocrypha
- Muhammed is presented not as the only authorative prophet of God, but the last in a long line of revered prophets, including Adam, Noah, Moses and Jesus, the latter of which is heavily quoted in the Quran.
- There used to be multiple versions of the Quran, then the third Caliph, Uthman ibn Affan, got rid of them all in favor of the version based on the original dialect the passages were revealed in.
- However, today there are a variety of versions being used across the world, which contradicts the message that many Islamic websites give that the Quran only has one version that has remained unchaged since it was written down thanks to the will of Allah.
- Christians and Jews are considered fellow "People of the Book" and are to be given respect and protection.