American Sniper

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
noseoil

American Sniper

Post by noseoil »

Just watched the film this afternoon. It is a very well done movie, with a good take on the stresses created by battle & war and the effects it has on people & families. Clint Eastwood did an excellent job on the directing, not bad for a guy who is still working at 84 years old. My son saw an early screening on his post & said they did a pretty good job with the technical stuff & battle scenes. If you get a chance, I would recommend it to you.
3rdGenRigger

Re: American Sniper

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I definitely want to see it.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Invective

Post by Invective »

I read the book and watched the movie, and personally I liked the book a lot more than the movie. The movie added some things just for the drama it seemed. Still a good movie though.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I certainly will watch it
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Looks very good. Will try to get out go see it. I had goosebumps watching "Lone Survivor." Hope it's as good.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Just saw it last night. A little long but very good, and Cooper was just phenomenal. I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to shake visions the Sac/Hangover/Nip Tuck Cooper, but that was a non-issue, he took on a whole new aspect. With these stories I often wonder how much of it went down in the way it was shown. Without spoiling, for those who saw it, the climactic scene seemed like a bit much. Like I suspect all of those things did happen at some point, but not all at the same time. Also, we all know that AMERICAN snipers, when not sniping, hang out with their buddies and wives, but FOREIGN snipers just sit in their lonely domiciles glowering ominously and spinning a bullet until the call comes in to shoot some more Americans, at which point it's time for Evil Sniper Lock 'n Load Montage :rolleyes:. I guess, though, I can forgive Eastwood this minor indulgence in an otherwise very good and powerful film. I'd recommend seeing it, for sure, and just a note that I'm pretty critical when it comes to movies, so take my criticisms as nit-picks.

Also, my wife turned to me afterwards and said: "Thank you for just playing Call of Duty." I said "yea and it's taught me to always place claymores."
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I want to know for sure that Bradley Cooper is pro gun before I consider it. I'm sick of all these anti gun actors appearing in the action movies where they shoot up everything with all this exotic weaponry. I have completely quit watching anything with Costner, Stallone, Damon, Wahlburg and all these other anti gunners in it. I dont thing actors should be able to appear in movies with guns involved if they are anti gun themselves. That's totally sick.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Seeing it Tuesday - had great reviews.

I agree about those tedious "crash-bang-wallop" movies.

Check out "71" if you want gritty military realism.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Anyone wanting to read a really good Sniper Book see if you can find a copy of "Marine Sniper" by Charles Henderson about the true life accounts of Carlos Hathcock who was probably the greatest Sniper who ever lived.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

My favorite is "Fearless"
About Adam Brown. A great read.....
v8r

Post by v8r »

I thought the book was great as well as the movie. Saw it 3 weeks ago when it was still in limited release. There was not a empty seat in the entire theater. I also like how the movie wasn't about "glamorizing" being a sniper. Our snipers that serve in the military have a difficult job from what I can tell and probably struggle with extremely difficult decisions on a daily basis. God bless our military for being willing to step to the enemy and throw down when need be.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Book was good...hated the movie. Cooper did a good job though.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Screwdriver wrote:Book was good...hated the movie. Cooper did a good job though.
What didn't you like about the movie? I was thinking about seeing it this weekend.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

It is pretty good, but they did add stuff for the sake of drama alone. Such as the whole Mustafa thing. That never happened as far as it being related to Kyle, anyway. He was real, but him and Kyle never crossed paths, according to his book. It was a good film, never the less.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

SpyderNut wrote:
Screwdriver wrote:Book was good...hated the movie. Cooper did a good job though.
What didn't you like about the movie? I was thinking about seeing it this weekend.
This is my opinion...and only mine. I felt the directing was off and some of the scenes were extremely cheesy. I was 100% in on 85% of the movie.....You should see it and make your own opinion.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Screwdriver wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
This is my opinion...and only mine. I felt the directing was off and some of the scenes were extremely cheesy. I was 100% in on 85% of the movie.....You should see it and make your own opinion.
Appreciate that. Was just curious because I had heard that it got mixed reviews. Thanks!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The important question...
What was the knife clipped in Chris's jeans pocket just before the end? It looked like a Spydie spoon clip to me, but the visible part of the handle was squared off...,
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

ChrisinHove wrote:The important question...
What was the knife clipped in Chris's jeans pocket just before the end? It looked like a Spydie spoon clip to me, but the visible part of the handle was squared off...,
The folks on the USN are claiming it to be an Emerson
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Saw it today, definitely an Emerson and either a 12 or HD 7. It was an Emerson with a titanium slab on the clip side
Pitbull

Post by Pitbull »

Good film!