Tell me why I need a Sebenza

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
sbaker345

Re: Tell me why I need a Sebenza

Post by sbaker345 »

Honestly, my theory on the draw of the Sebenza is simply that CRK captured the idea of a no nonsense work knife perfect, its very strong, yet has a useful blade grind, the plain TI handles only look better with wear. I suspect the tolerance level allows for a stupidly strong lock. Ive been considering one for years dispite the price, and I realize the draw is the same one that attracts me to the PM2, Millie and domino. Its just simple but high quality.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, maybe one day he'll come out with a design I really like, with all the same awesome manufacturing that goes into the current models, and that'll be the push I need.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Evil D wrote:Well, maybe one day he'll come out with a design I really like, with all the same awesome manufacturing that goes into the current models, and that'll be the push I need.
I have owned several small and large 21s and a 25 and 2 Umnumzaan tanto / reg and I must admit there is no other knife put together better. I do think that it really is the only knife that is worth a high price tag. Not strider or hinderer or a lot of the even more expensive guys. It really is worth the cash. But with that said CRK reminds me of porsche 911 ya they make improvement to the same design ( all be it a great timeless classic ) but really who fell asleep in the design room I am bored stiff with the design what's the new one o ya right a small 25 ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ whats the steel s35vnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. That why I moved to spyderco. Newer steels to play with great designs etc etc. Also you can pimp a benchmade or Spyderco with new scales in a variety of materials. I have Ti scales coming from Wilkins for a ritter RSK MK1 in M390. Thats going to be epic and it cost about as much as a CRK. But to be clear there is no other knife I have owned that has been so absolutely perfectly built down to a track for the detent to follow really its nuts. The build quality the size of the screws and huge pivot and stop pins in such a light knife. To me it is worth the money. O ya worlds best pocket clip hands down. I just got bored. And I don't like the S30v s35vn family.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

S35VN is actually really nice from my experiences with it.

Spyderco and CRK do a nice job with it based on my own testing.

Very nice general use steel. :)
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Ergonomics and performance beats thumbstuds, IDAHO MADE, and impressive pivots for me.

Hinderers are more interesting to me now that their prices are drifting back to normal.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

To much money for me.

I don't get it

I'll stick to my frn spyders
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

This thread has me wanting a fluted Ti military. Which appears to be sold out everywhere.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that you might want to give this one a try, if you haven't already. :)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I am surprised no one has mentioned the following:

Originally Posted by Sal Glesser

Well, I cannot speak for Chris Reeve Knives, but I will offer an opinion.

I've known Chris and Ann for many years. We worked together when Chris was in South Africa.

A CRK knife is not a custom knife, nor is it a production knife. They are in a class by themselves. They've taken many years to develop their reputation.

Each piece is custom made by skilled custom makers. CRK tolerances and standards are the highest I've seen in processes like surface grinding and heat treat. There is a limit to their production capacity.

Chris is pretty anal on quality. "Quality is time. = Time is money". He pays his craftsmen a fair wage, and he charges a fair margin, he gives the world a product like no other. Chris and Ann work hard and they make a good living. "Enormous profits" is an inside joke that Chris and I laugh about. Frankly, I think they'd feel guilty if they made too much money.

The "Market" will determine if his business strategies work, regardless of what they are. If they don't work, adjustments are made....that's how businesses survive.

BTW, the flip side of a "bargain driven" market is manufacturers are forced to import product (export jobs) from China to compete in the need for the "lower price". More complications.

sal

Hi Dulleddown,

More profit is usually associated with higher price. That's normal. Profit is usually a percentage of sales price. To think that a high priced auto should garner the same proft as a low priced auto is not in accord with business. It might be the same percentage, but being more expensive, it will be more profit.

Unless you are a manufacturer, familiar with close tolerance manufacturing of heat treated steel & Titanium parts, you are not likely to be able to see all of the differences between one of Chris' knives and others. For example; CRK keeps 0.0005 tolerance on surface grinding. That's one sixth the thickness of a hair. Do you have the knowledsge and equipment to discover that tolerance?

In the end, it's all about trust. CRK took many years to build and maintain their repuation. Built with consistent focus. Even those trying to make a "cheaper" version must "leave out processes" or "soften their tolerance", or they will cost as much.

Rarely do you pay for the "name". That's a bullshit sales pitch made up by the ignorant claiming to offer the same for less. Money valuation between countries might offer a "deal" for a while until the money value balances, but all in all, you will get what you pay for.

sal

-----------------------------------------------------

Just because you can't see the difference doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it.

Hi GWLee,

The benefit of tight tolerances is usually for long term durability as well as smooth function. Long term durability is difficult to determine in a short term decision. That's why reputation is important.

sal

Nice video.

High dollar knives are high dollar because they cost more to make. It might be materials (Titanium, unubtanium, etc.), it might be tolerances (Chris' has lotsa zeros after the decimal before hitting numbers), it might be labor (carving, engraving, etc.).

Sometmes those differences are difficult if not impossible for even the trained eye to detenct, generally impossible for a new student.

Just because you can't see the difference, doesn't mean it isn't there, sometimes it just means you can't see it.

sal

https://youtu.be/4QiEnhA3n0A

https://youtu.be/Nj6p8p6vfZQ
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned that you might want to give this one a try, if you haven't already. :)

Yeah, I looked at one locally, but at retail in South Africa we have to pay full MSRP at $499.95.

At that price it costs more than any of the plain Jane Sebenzas (25=$445, Large 21=$410)

You pay for for the amount of time in hand/surface-grinding/tuning/fitting a blade to match the lock/cleaning of pivot holes/filing of screws so there is no gap or misalignment/lathe work/making sure there is no lock play or lock movement when it comes to these class of knives.

However, at the end no one can change a persons opinion on whether or not a knife is worth it. You have to make up your own mind on the matter.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Im seriously considering a Shirogorov 111 CF 3D MRBS in M390. It could be considered a "high dollar knife"
Of course, theres a lot of high dollar knives out there.
Spyderco imo, are certainly high dollar knives.
I feel with most anything ya get what ya pay for.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Zenith,

All of that is exactly why I've struggled with wanting one for so long. The reality is, I admire that level of precision but don't love the design. It's really a difficult situation for me because both aspects mean so much to me. The quality is there, the craftsmanship is second to none (honestly I don't think most customs can match the tolerances they work with) but there are design elements that I just can't live with. If Chris would make me a custom knife with a thumb hole instead of a stud, I would be all over it. I've even considered trying to have one modified but that's a huge risk on such an expensive knife.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:Im seriously considering a Shirogorov 111 CF 3D MRBS in M390. It could be considered a "high dollar knife"
Kinda like the Custom Folder I just got done testing, makes a Sebenza look inexpensive price wise. :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
MacLaren wrote:Im seriously considering a Shirogorov 111 CF 3D MRBS in M390. It could be considered a "high dollar knife"
Kinda like the Custom Folder I just got done testing, makes a Sebenza look inexpensive price wise. :D
Yup ;)
Donut

Post by Donut »

VashHash wrote:This thread has me wanting a fluted Ti military. Which appears to be sold out everywhere.
There is a WTS thread on BF now.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

VashHash wrote:This thread has me wanting a fluted Ti military. Which appears to be sold out everywhere.
The fluted Ti Military is beautiful. I absolutely love mine. The problem with it being so elusive, you hunt for it and look everywhere, maybe finally find one... then later you see another one available somewhere else and you can't resist... I'm up to 4 fluted Ti Millies now, besides a regular Ti Millie, and 3 fluted Ti Native 5's... :)

A few Ti Spydies
Last edited by rodloos on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Theres also a NIB Large Sebenza 21.....$390 shipped.
D.O.B. March 10 this year.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

rodloos wrote:
The fluted Ti Military is beautiful. I absolutely love mine. The problem with it being so elusive, you hunt for it and look everywhere, maybe finally find one... then later you see another one available somewhere else and you can't resist... I'm up to 4 fluted Ti Millies now, besides a regular Ti Millie, and 3 fluted Ti Native 5's... :)

A few Ti Spydies

Dang! Now I know where all the Ti is!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

That's a lot of ti spydies. Looks like 2 people got ahead of me on that wts thread. I'll just carry my M4 Ti/G10 millie for now.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

VashHash wrote:That's a lot of ti spydies. Looks like 2 people got ahead of me on that wts thread. I'll just carry my M4 Ti/G10 millie for now.
Hardee har har.......

Im jealous....i admit it!

I was way too late to the party....All the cool Millies and Paras were gone....
Your M4 Ti G10 being my favorite....
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

MacLaren wrote:
VashHash wrote:That's a lot of ti spydies. Looks like 2 people got ahead of me on that wts thread. I'll just carry my M4 Ti/G10 millie for now.
Hardee har har.......

Im jealous....i admit it!

I was way too late to the party....All the cool Millies and Paras were gone....
Your M4 Ti G10 being my favorite....
They still have some cool millies and paras on the way. Just gotta be ready to either pre order or quick on the draw when they drop. I think the m4 millie was like a year waiting i can't remember.