Tell me why I need a Sebenza

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Re: Tell me why I need a Sebenza

Post by Evil D »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I would get a Micro Tech So com Delta if you can find one.
Nice but not my style. Isn't that a knife that Nutnfancy raves about all the time?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mic1 wrote:
Evil D wrote:OK guys one last question, how do I go about ordering one? I see them listed on the usual online vendors, but I specifically want a double thumb stud version and would like to NOT have them blue anodized. Is this a special order thing or am I missing something? Is there any point in shopping around?

I also can't make up my mind if I want an Insingo or standard version. I love the blade shape on the Insingo, and honestly don't know why I'm unsure about it. Pros and cons? I have no problem carrying wharnies (I'm a Yo 2 lover) but the fact that this blade has a slight belly makes me love it even more.

I just made a purchase from True North Knives. I did not like the knife and sent it back. It was not a CRK.There return policy allows you to return with no penalty except for the cost of shipping both ways. I would get the 21 with insingo. Very strong tip with plenty of stabbing ability. I've been using mine for a few weeks and I like it. I am still torn between the pure smooth Precision and strength of CRK and the ergonomics and blade steels of the manix 2. Out of all the blade shapes including tanto from CRK I like the insingo the best. How I wish for a CRK in S90v - 110 . Wish in one hand and ............
I'd have no problem ordering from them but they don't have this model in stock at the moment.

As for the blade, the Insingo reminds me a lot of the Southard blade shape which I really love. I'm hoping the grind is better than the Southard though. I don't really find myself needing a lot of stabbing power but I do like the the tip is lower in relation to the handle like a typical wharnie.

As for the need for duel thumb studs, the main purpose of that will be as a guide when sharpening on my EP, but I like to have the option to use it left handed, even if it is a pain.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Am I seeing things or is the Insingo blade shorter? Everything I can find lists the blade as 3.62 but it says the same thing for both blade types and the standard blade sure looks longer to me.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

If it is shorter it's by very very little I don't know where they measure from but my cutting edge is 3 7/16". I hope you get one for all the reasons listed here even if it's short lived.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well guys I did some hard thinking yesterday and decided I'm going to put this off a while longer. I decided that right now I wanna work on something I've wanted to do for a long time, and that's make my perfect custom Manix 2. So, I got a standard Manix 2 yesterday and hopefully later today the mods will start.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

That's a good plan.

If your curiosity ever gets the best of you just buy a used one off the BFE maybe even one that isn't your first pick but a popular model that fits the price point. A large plain Jane 21 clip point for example or even and Insingo with the regular hardware (its easy to remove the blue anodizing) They are readily available and it would give you a feel for using one. If the knife needs some love CRK has a great Warranty, see below:

One of the great things about our knives is that they can be refurbished readily. Whether fixed blade or folder, we can service your knife so that it looks great again and performs the way it was intended. Folding knives: “spa treatment” includes clean, tune and sharpening at no charge other than return shipping.

I think they even re-sandblast the scales anyway, they will perform this service on any of their knives whether you bought from a dealer or used.

Good luck on the project.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Despite swearing off CRK as well... I decided to use my hunt for the perfect birthday gift for my father as an excuse to try one out, from a place that promised to take it back if I decided it wasn't the one.

I ended up getting the regular small Sebenza 21, thinking the Insingo wouldn't be his style. I had the same "meh" moments unpacking it, and kinda decided right away that it wasn't for him. If he ever googled it, he would never use it, and the point was to get him a great user (with the Sage2 at the top of the list). So I planned to returned it. And planned to return it. But every time I tried to pack it up, after the fondling I would put it off again.

One morning after his birthday past, I hastily crammed it in my pocket and went to work. After letting it ride with my keys, its definitely mine now, and it fits well in my office carry rotation (with the Chaparral still king). The thumb stud sucks IMO (even compared to some other studs), and I do wish I had the Insingo blade, but honestly its a great knife I'm proud to own. If it was half the price that's all it would be, a great knife, and we wouldn't have all these odd feelings about it IMO.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

abbazaba wrote:The thumb stud sucks IMO

Yep, that's the final verdict for me. At this price point I just can't compromise on something that bothers me. There are so many better options now than thumb studs and especially studs that get in the way of slicing, there's just no reason not to improve that part of the knife. I'm honestly shocked that more people aren't bothered by it. I would honestly rather remove the studs completely and have to use two hands to open the knife than have the studs way out on the blade like that. I even think Reeves knows it, that's why he changed it on the Umnumzaan. I guess it's tradition that keeps him from changing the Sebenza. Unfortunately I just don't like the Umnumzaan nearly as much as I like the 21.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm not a huge fan of the stud style CRK uses for the Sebenza nor the fact that you only get one of them. I really think the opening method of the Ti-Lock and Mnandi are elegant though and they share the same tolerances and "big blade/small handle" philosophy.

Edit: Hmm...Sebenza 25 and Inkosi have twin studs. My bad. :o
Last edited by Blerv on Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I have an SnG & and Inkosi. I have owned many Sebenza's, in the past, and they are awesome knives!! In fact, they are the first expensive knife I ever bought, the SnG was the second, as a matter of fact. If you want one, get one!! I LOVE my SnG and I LOVE my Inkosi. My SnG IS currently in my pocket.
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Which Spydies consistently kick Sebenzas out of pocket?

And does anyone have a Large Sebenza to compare to their GB2? I feel they are very similar on paper, but I haven't seen them compared.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I have a large Sebenza which I won in a KnifeRights drawing, but it resides in the safe. I've fondled it a bit, and it *does* feel well-made, but I really prefer Spydie-holes to thumb-studs. So I guess any of the Spydies I happen to be carrying could be said to have kicked the Sebenza out of my pocket :D. Today it's a Mantra 2, a CF/M390 Military, Matriarch 2, and a Salt Dragonfly :).
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

TheKnifeCollector wrote:I have an SnG & and Inkosi. I have owned many Sebenza's, in the past, and they are awesome knives!! In fact, they are the first expensive knife I ever bought, the SnG was the second, as a matter of fact. If you want one, get one!! I LOVE my SnG and I LOVE my Inkosi. My SnG IS currently in my pocket.
Just ordered an Inkosi for my little brother (yay twin thumb studs!). A joint-family gift. He has plenty of Spydies but was especially fond of my other brother's small Insingo.
hoimin wrote:Which Spydies consistently kick Sebenzas out of pocket?
And does anyone have a Large Sebenza to compare to their GB2? I feel they are very similar on paper, but I haven't seen them compared.
Not sure about the GB2 but I had a Large Insingo for a while and currently have a GB1. The Bradley is a very stout folder and certainly more rounded than the CR; more like a Falkniven PXL. The Sebenza line to me is like if the engineers of Caterham got ahold of a Sage2 and started shaving weight and angles. A very flat and unassuming knife that hides a very large blade per it's size.

I adore the Spyderco Bradley Folder. It puts the bar WAY up there for less than 1/3rd the price.
Last edited by Blerv on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paladin

Post by paladin »

I own a Sebbie 25...proud I live in the US where I have easy access to the best cutting tools in the world like CRK, Busse, Kershaw, Spyderco ;) , etc....

I think it takes the best features of the 21 and improves on them...I prefer this pivot to the stepped pivot. Cleaner handle without all the holes. Improved <IMHO> jimping...love the added choil, and I am a real fan of the integral ceramic detent / lock interface ball.

Very enjoyable to tear down & service. Have you ever seen a design so refined and perfect it seems elegantly simple-- but yet you know it took a VERY HIGH level of execution/skill/resources to pull off? -- to me, that's the Sebenza 25. :cool:

There is a learning curve to opening and utilizing the thumb studs, but it's not too steep nor too long. For those used to ONLY using Spydercos, well, we've been spoiled with how easy/intuitive it is to deploy a Spyderholed knife. You have to be more "mindful" opening a Sebenza, but once you develop muscle memory it is "ALMOST" as easy to open as any Spydie! ;)

I'd go for it David...heck I did go for it! :)
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Blerv wrote: Not sure about the GB2 but I had a Large Insingo for a while and currently have a GB1. The Bradley is a very stout folder and certainly more rounded than the CR; more like a Falkniven PXL. The Sebenza line to me is like if the engineers of Lotus got ahold of a Sage2 and started shaving weight and angles. A very flat and unassuming knife that hides a very large blade per it's size.

I adore the Spyderco Bradley Folder. It puts the bar WAY up there for less than 1/3rd the price.
Thanks, Blerv. I find the Sebenza's ratios and dimensions (and the engineering feat) very attractive, but there were just enough things that didn't suit be to save my wallet. I did look quite deeply into the Ti-Lock though, which has even more amazing ratios.
Donut

Post by Donut »

This thread is way too old for you to NOT have a Sebenza. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:This thread is way too old for you to NOT have a Sebenza. :p
Hey, it's not my fault I started buying guns again :rolleyes:
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

Yeah, but are the guns made by CRK and are they named Sebenza? :p

I probably said this earlier in the thread, but I told myself I was going to buy a sebenza to see what all the fuss was about... like 6 years ago, then I figured out that I really don't care what all the fuss is about. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Funny thing is, my Shield cost about what I'd spend on a Sebenza. I'm working on sorting out my concealed carry preferences, so once I get that dialed in, if I find I'm not carrying the Shield I may look at trading it for something like a Sebenza. Who knows.
~David
nick800

Post by nick800 »

I thought I would share my recent purchase of a Sebenza 21. It is my first CRK. I have probably 20 Spyderco's, mostly PM2's and GB's. I debated a lot about getting the Sebenza, and couldn't be happier. The fit and finish is something to be marveled at, and I do enjoying being able to disassemble without voiding a warranty.

If you can swing the price, I think they are must haves.