Ask me your fitness questions

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Surfingringo

Re: Ask me your fitness questions

Post by Surfingringo »

Ok, I have a question. I am visiting a buddy in utah right now and we went to the gym today. I did a pretty tough stair machine workout and after about 15 minutes my pulse was staying around 160. I was wondering if that is too high? It was tiring but I wasn't exhausted or anything at that level. Just seems high to me...I don't know. I know I'm 45 yrs. old but I like to think I'm in decent condition. It might be worth noting that I've only been here a few days and the altitude is a bit over 5,300 feet. Would that affect heart rate?
Donut

Post by Donut »

Not really an answer to your question, but high altitude makes the air thinner. There will be less oxygen in what you're breathing.

I'm sure it will affect things, but I'm not sure how.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Donut wrote:Not really an answer to your question, but high altitude makes the air thinner. There will be less oxygen in what you're breathing.

Yeah, it definitely has an effect on breathing. BIG effect. I assume that your heart rate would go up too given the same exercise but I'm not really sure.
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Donut wrote:Not really an answer to your question, but high altitude makes the air thinner. There will be less oxygen in what you're breathing.

Yeah, it definitely has an effect on breathing. BIG effect. I assume that your heart rate would go up too given the same exercise but I'm not really sure.
Since part of the reason for increased heartrate is for increased oxygen supply I wouldn't be surprised.

What's your resting rate?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

sbaker345 wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:

Since part of the reason for increased heartrate is for increased oxygen supply I wouldn't be surprised.

What's your resting rate?
about 65
awa54

Post by awa54 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:I'm glad you mentioned that, Donut. That is a question I have for you and also for tv. I have known runners and have been told by doctors that hard-core running over long times can lead to severe stress damage to areas, all that force concentrated on nerves, muscles, and bones, and that the human body is better able to handle vigorous walking and long walks, rather than running. Do you find this to be true? And how does jogging fit into it? Is that a good middle-ground?
there are plenty of ways to get an aerobic session without running... if you don't want to work on developing your form as a runner (or aren't one of the lucky ones who have great natural form) then use a rower, bike, etc. for that sort of training. Running or jogging is inherently a high impact practice when you're on pavement, modern shoes let us cheat and take enough of the shock out of running with poor form to make us think we're OK, but the repeated stress of heel strikes and twisting stresses adds up over time. Some runners (even fast/competitive ones) never find a gait that's smooth enough to avoid injury... good form on a bike is easier to develop IMO, at least good enough form to avoid injury, truly riding fast in the competitive sense is *very* involved! If you do decide to bike or use a cardio machine, do your research on mechanics and pay attention to what your body is telling you about riding position, intensity and duration (duh?), a good fit and proper mechanics make it much more enjoyable.

I find that my gait stinks at any speed slower than 8 minute pace; past 8min/mile it smooths out and I have a much less jarring stride, so no "jogging" for me. when I started to ease back into being a bit fitter that pace was impossible to maintain for anything except short intervals, so I switched to the bike (road bike, not stationary), over this past summer I have ridden at least twice a week 30 minutes to an hour per session, without fail and the results in output at a specific heart rate, maximum output and endurance are not subtle. I'm certainly *not* a fitness expert, but in my experience anything less than 20 minutes is pretty worthless for building cardio capability without major discomfort.

This may not even qualify as two cents worth.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Easy enough question: over 40 experienced hard gainer lifter, when progress stalls do you add volume or intensity? Assuming diet is dialed in and recovery allows for either 2 full body sessions or a Westside for Skinny Bastards 3 day template with one leg day sandwiched with ME upper and RE effort lower, which do you prefer?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Interpreting muscle soreness...

I only very infrequently experience muscle soreness, either when exercising or doing hard physical work. My question is this; should a good exercise session cause sore muscles? if so how how intense would that soreness be and how long should "good soreness" last? If soreness is lasting several days after a session what are the repercussions?

Thanks!
-David

twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

awa54 wrote:Interpreting muscle soreness...

I only very infrequently experience muscle soreness, either when exercising or doing hard physical work. My question is this; should a good exercise session cause sore muscles? if so how how intense would that soreness be and how long should "good soreness" last? If soreness is lasting several days after a session what are the repercussions?

Thanks!
Is this from lifting weights? If so do you do any recovery work? Foam roll or contrasting showers? Not the expert but just curious on how you are getting sore to begin with?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

twinboysdad wrote:
awa54 wrote:Interpreting muscle soreness...

Thanks!
Is this from lifting weights? If so do you do any recovery work? Foam roll or contrasting showers? Not the expert but just curious on how you are getting sore to begin with?
I don't lift, with the exception of light kettel bell work from time to time. My regular exercise is cycling, and with 30 to 50 minute average rides I don't experience any soreness (my output level is either side of the top of "target" heart rate for most of these rides), recently I added a three rep hill climb to the end of my ride, this regimen hasn't caused any soreness either. What I did Sunday was to take a 3.75 mile hike, not a seriously technical one either, but steady and with plenty of uneven or loose terrain... that has left my calf muscles pretty sore, likely due to all my bike training being linear, rather than dynamic like hiking. My goal is to do more stuff off the bike to build my legs all around (not just up and down, 'round and 'round like pedaling does), but I want to gauge how hard to push for benefit without risking injury.
-David

DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Here is a question for you. I am going away in a month to an all inclusive. Currently I am on the slow carb diet and doing the GBC workouts. I am liking this particular diet as it has almost entirely weaned me off sugar and bread (I say almost because I do have both of these things on my cheat day).

The German body composition work out that I got from one of your posts has a schedule of:

- 2 days on
- 1 day off
- 1 day on
- 1 day off
- repeat

I am also mountain biking 1 to 2 times a week on off days for about 1.25 hours. I am 5'11" 165 now so I don't have a lot of weight too loose I am just trying to get leaner before I go away.

Here is my question: When I am away I am not going to follow the slow carb diet. but I could keep the same workout regime going or not. I don't drink, so my fluids won't be an issue just lots of water and I do drink coffee with cream. I will eat more and there are lots of great healthy choices lots of vegetables, seafood etc. which is mainly what I will eat but I will also indulge in some foods I wouldn't and some desserts, bread etc. as it is a holiday after all. As I am going to be consuming far more calories than I do now, my questions are as follows:

how could I change up my workout to take advantage of this period of high caloric intake to bulk up a bit? next, what should I follow up with when I get back home? Both from a diet and workout perspective.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Any suggestions on how to regain strength after a major surgery. I had to have my entire spine rebuilt in my neck. I had numerous bone spurs and one of my vertebrae had collapsed into my spinal cord and was punching it. Then I had four vertebrae completely worn out that they had to be reshaped and the disc was gone from between all these. I had to have titanium discs placed between these with a titanium bar running the length of the four with a large screw into each vertebrae to hold everything in place. My Physical therapy was stopped halfway through because of horrible excruciating pain and I just had a series of trigger point injections in the neck which is a horrible experience but did no good. I spend about twenty hours a day in bed but I'm going to fight this to the end. I play with my knives a little, read and take another Oxycodone which doesn't do much good but they tried me on Morphine but I couldn't take it. I can feel myself getting weaker. I had my Smith&Wesson .38 out one day applying a little EEZOX to the moving parts and discovered that I can no longer back the hammer on it as if to fire in single action.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Any suggestions on how to regain strength after a major surgery. I had to have my entire spine rebuilt in my neck. I had numerous bone spurs and one of my vertebrae had collapsed into my spinal cord and was punching it. Then I had four vertebrae completely worn out that they had to be reshaped and the disc was gone from between all these. I had to have titanium discs placed between these with a titanium bar running the length of the four with a large screw into each vertebrae to hold everything in place. My Physical therapy was stopped halfway through because of horrible excruciating pain and I just had a series of trigger point injections in the neck which is a horrible experience but did no good. I spend about twenty hours a day in bed but I'm going to fight this to the end. I play with my knives a little, read and take another Oxycodone which doesn't do much good but they tried me on Morphine but I couldn't take it. I can feel myself getting weaker. I had my Smith&Wesson .38 out one day applying a little EEZOX to the moving parts and discovered that I can no longer back the hammer on it as if to fire in single action.
Hey Rancowela, I can't speak to your surgery of your physical condition but I can offer my experience in another area. Prolonged use of those narcotic pain meds will ultimately increase your level of pain and drastically decrease your chances of recovery. Again, these are my opinions but they are based on massive and brutal personal experience that slowly brought my life very close to an early end. Feel free to pm me or you can call me by phone or Skype if you want to discuss the issue.
sbaker345

Post by sbaker345 »

Surfingringo wrote:
RanCoWeAla wrote:Any suggestions on how to regain strength after a major surgery. I had to have my entire spine rebuilt in my neck. I had numerous bone spurs and one of my vertebrae had collapsed into my spinal cord and was punching it. Then I had four vertebrae completely worn out that they had to be reshaped and the disc was gone from between all these. I had to have titanium discs placed between these with a titanium bar running the length of the four with a large screw into each vertebrae to hold everything in place. My Physical therapy was stopped halfway through because of horrible excruciating pain and I just had a series of trigger point injections in the neck which is a horrible experience but did no good. I spend about twenty hours a day in bed but I'm going to fight this to the end. I play with my knives a little, read and take another Oxycodone which doesn't do much good but they tried me on Morphine but I couldn't take it. I can feel myself getting weaker. I had my Smith&Wesson .38 out one day applying a little EEZOX to the moving parts and discovered that I can no longer back the hammer on it as if to fire in single action.
Hey Rancowela, I can't speak to your surgery of your physical condition but I can offer my experience in another area. Prolonged use of those narcotic pain meds will ultimately increase your level of pain and drastically decrease your chances of recovery. Again, these are my opinions but they are based on massive and brutal personal experience that slowly brought my life very close to an early end. Feel free to pm me or you can call me by phone or Skype if you want to discuss the issue.

Narcotics decrease your overall pain tolerance, I may be misremebering but I'm pretty sure by blocking pain receptors your body sensitizes them. I seem to have some kind of resistance or immunity to them. And honestly I'm somewhat thankful for that.

Often when you hear of a bodybuilder or strength competitor dying, it's not from the steroids it's from the anti inflamatories and narcotics they needed to function through severe injury
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I haven't been there so I can offer no advice but so sorry to hear about your pain. I am sure someone will chime in on the nutrition side, if you haven't already explored that route. I hope you find some answers and relief. Keep up the fight.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Thanks for your replies
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Two friends of mine have have had reconstruction that is close in scope to yours and my mother had a major neuro-spinal surgery... "normal" doesn't com back quickly even when the surgery goes perfectly. That "never give up" attitude is something you will probably need to keep relying on for a while :(

If you aren't getting good answers from your doctors about pain and muscle weakness, you may want to get other opinions, at least some of the weakness and pain may be due to inflamed nerves where they exit the spine, it's worth asking about that if you haven't already.
-David

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Newsflash: Babies take up a lot of your time, and it's hard to type with only one hand. So, sorry I've been MIA.
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Well here are some more health related questions and weight related questions for you.
Also I like, by the way, how you caution about calling any particular food healthy, that there are other factors involved.

1 I was reading some information by doctors/cardiologists, who were saying that most Americans and many Western/European people, even if they look slim and do not have large deposits of fat tissue on the exterior of their body, almost all have layers of fat around their hearts, and, deposits of cholesterol plaque and calcium in their arteries, and that over many decades, via autopies, it was discovered that even skinny and slim people have the beginning buildups of these arterial deposits. The info further went on to say that heart attack and hardening of the arteries are two of the biggest killers of people in the western world (America, Western Europe, and you can throw Eastern Europe in there, too) and that some of the causes are the richness of highly fatty foods.

The reports also claimed that in examining the arteries of people, they found the arterial deposits first start out with the consistency of toothpaste, and are relatively soft at that stage, but as time goes on and if nothing is done to physically remove those deposits, they will harden, and this hardening of the arteries often leads to heart attacks and strokes. They say high intake of dairy products also lead to this.
I would like your views and thoughts on this, please.
I'm not sure about the heart fat thing, but it is definitely true that a "skinny" person is not necessarily a "healthy" person. (Although I feel absolutely compelled to note that "healthy" is rather objective, and if we are talking longevity then most professional athletes are not healthy).

I'm no expert on the mechanisms behind cardiovascular disease, but Mark's Daily Apple has a bunch of well-researched posts on the subject. Short answer: it's not the fat. Some further reading:
10 things you need to know about cholesterol (part 1, and part 2)
Inflammation and heart disease
Does red meat give you heart disease?
What the Inuit (and their 75% fat diet) can tell us about fat and heart disease.
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:2 In light of the above information, what methods do you suggest that are safe and effective, that a person can do to quickly lose weight in a reasonable amount of time (days to weeks to months instead of years) if said person also enjoys eating large portions of hearty foods (ie, they like to eat pastas, meats, cheeses, sandwiches with lunchmeats like bologna and cheese and that sort of stuff) as well as pizza, cheeseburgers, beans, rice, chicken, Mexican food, and at times Chinese foods. What are some good recommendations on that?

Thank you
For you, I suggest the "Dr Weird Diet." See below
https://youtu.be/a2alHCNpx7A
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Oh, and also connected with that: What are some good ways for Americans and other people to get their arteries cleaned out without outright surgery?
Eat a natural diet: meat, veggies, fruit, nuts.
Resistance train, using your bodyweight and external loads: squat, lunge, push, pull, move.
Don't sit 8 hour per day.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Surfingringo wrote:Ok, I have a question. I am visiting a buddy in utah right now and we went to the gym today. I did a pretty tough stair machine workout and after about 15 minutes my pulse was staying around 160. I was wondering if that is too high? It was tiring but I wasn't exhausted or anything at that level. Just seems high to me...I don't know. I know I'm 45 yrs. old but I like to think I'm in decent condition. It might be worth noting that I've only been here a few days and the altitude is a bit over 5,300 feet. Would that affect heart rate?
Altitude absolutely affects heart rate. I always tell people that you HR is exactly what it needs to be. Unless you have a medical condition, I wouldn't say it could ever be "too high." You'll either be not fit enough to maintain it, or fit enough to survive it. Eric Murray, who set the 1 hour rowing record, had his heart rate over 190 for almost the full hour. Few other people would have been fit enough to maintain that.

https://youtu.be/wQGRo733mMQ
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

twinboysdad wrote:Easy enough question: over 40 experienced hard gainer lifter, when progress stalls do you add volume or intensity? Assuming diet is dialed in and recovery allows for either 2 full body sessions or a Westside for Skinny Bastards 3 day template with one leg day sandwiched with ME upper and RE effort lower, which do you prefer?
Ah the "hard gainer" concept. If you think of yourself as a hard gainer, then the diet is not dialed in. When progress stalls, eat more. When I was powerlifting, I would get 4, yes 4, McDonalds breakfast sandwiches and 4 hash browns on the way to work, and I would not get out of my car until they were all finished. After certain workouts, I would drink 1 protein shake (40g protein), eat one of those prepackaged fruit pies, and then drink an entire can of coconut milk. This is 40g protein, 55g carb, and 100g fat in about 5min. If you get take-out food, and you don't find at least 3 forks in the bag, you didn't get enough food. Again, the goal here was maximum absolute strength, so if the goal is something different, then it's a more complicated discussion.

However, I would add that the right program depends on "training age" and I find that most people are choosing a program that's too advanced for them. This just means that you are artificially slowing your progress with needless manipulations of volume and intensity. If you're actually an advanced lifter, these things are necessary, but if you're actually a novice, you can handle more volume because the systemic stress on your is far lower. Depending on bodyweight, if your back squat is under 400 then "conjugate method" should not be in your vocabulary. Without know any numbers, I would venture to guess that you could handle 3 full body sessions per week, with something closer to Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength novice progression. So again, without knowing any necessary details, I would guess in your case: "volume" (of both training and food). Feel free to throw numbers at me and I can get into more detail.