Lighters

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
enduraguy

Lighters

Post by enduraguy »

I am a new ish cigar smoker. Still developing a palate per se. Learning what I do and don't like a couple cigars at a time. I recently picked up a torch lighter I really like at the Cigar guys place I'm already quite fond of. It's a Xicar brand. Nice clean design that works every time. Being a business man myself, I really like their no bull lifetime guarantee. If it quits working at any time even years later, I can ship it back OR walk into any store that carries the brand and I can exchange it. No cost to me, no receipt or proof of purchase needed.

What about any of you out there?
SolidState

Re: Lighters

Post by SolidState »

I have quite a few Colibri lighters and a few old Ronsons. I like the variety of flames Colibri offers - everything from soft to jet to both in the same lighter. They have good mass, materials, and replacement parts like flints are easy to find and service.
Blue Possum

Post by Blue Possum »

I have a older Zippo lighter, then I have Butane insert from Thunderbird.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I've always used matches for nice cigars and my tobacco pipe the odd time that I light it up. For a cheap gas station cigar I'll use a Bic though.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Blue Possum wrote:I have a older Zippo lighter, then I have Butane insert from Thunderbird.
I'm not a smoker or tobacco user of any sort at all. But I have aquired a few ZIPPO lighters at thrift stores, garage sales and flea markets. Reason being I do know quality when I see it. I've had a lot of relatives that smoked and still smoke and many of them told me that ZIPPO lighters are great for their smoking habit. I've also heard that they are also great to take camping, fishing, hunting and any outdoor activity where fire is needed.

If there are lighters better that ZIPPO I would like for you guys to tell me what brands are better. Also I've heard that ZIPPO is now making/manufacturing survival type items. If anyone can fill me in on the details I would appreciate it.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Zippo is definitely a good brand. They're a cultural classic. They also have the distinction of owning a unique opening/closing sound. Similar to a pump shotgun being racked, it's a sound you hear and instinctively know what it is. My only gripe about a "wet" lighter like Zippo, is they can dry out. Then again, if you use it often enough, you keep on top of that sort of thing.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can't help with what lighters are best for smoking, but I did buy a cheap eBay peanut lighter just to see if they do I fact hold fluid without evaporating. It was filled over a year ago and still lights the first time every time. I wish Zippo would come up with a solution to evaporation in their lighters.

My hands down favorite lighter ever though is my IMCO Triplex Super 6700, but it too evaporates way too fast.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I love how lighter talk often turns to "I don't smoke, but...." :D
I don't stab, slash, or cut people, but I love a good knife! Gotta swear off that sin. Ha ha. I often carry a lighter just because. You never know when you may need fire. I used to chuckle when I'd see people who seem to perpetually wear flashlights on their belt for no apparent reason.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

enduraguy wrote:Zippo is definitely a good brand. They're a cultural classic. They also have the distinction of owning a unique opening/closing sound. Similar to a pump shotgun being racked, it's a sound you hear and instinctively know what it is. My only gripe about a "wet" lighter like Zippo, is they can dry out. Then again, if you use it often enough, you keep on top of that sort of thing.
That is an interesting point you make and I"m sure you're right about the fluid evaporating over time. The only interest I have in lighters is to have a tool to start a fire with in a survival and/or outdoor activity in which a fire is needed. I'm wondering if a guy would put one in a small zip-loc bag if that would preserve the fluid?

But I have many other firestarting methods like Ferro Rods, magnesium blocks and about a half dozen other dependable fire starting methods.

But i'm sure for smokers that ZIPPO lighters are great.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Fire for outdoor use should probably be via a torch lighter.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

enduraguy wrote:I love how lighter talk often turns to "I don't smoke, but...." :D
I don't stab, slash, or cut people, but I love a good knife! Gotta swear off that sin. Ha ha. I often carry a lighter just because. You never know when you may need fire. I used to chuckle when I'd see people who seem to perpetually wear flashlights on their belt for no apparent reason.

You mentioned cigars, so I just wanted to make it clear that I have no experience in that area of use ;)

If you had said "what's your favorite EDC general use lighter" I wouldn't have mentioned smoking..

Also the comments I made about Zippo's and IMCO's evaporating is much less of an issue with smokers, because they use their lighters enough that they'll run out of fluid and refill them long before they sit around enough to evaporate.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That last line was a good point you made there EVIL>>Because the more I think about it Lighters for the most part are geared toward tobacco smokers. And 99% of them smoke daily if not hourly so therefore most of your major lighters are designed and meant for people with a tobacco smoking habit and not really meant to be an outdoorsman's tool per se.

Oh I will take a couple of the disposable lighters I've found here where I work in my bug out bag but I most certainly won't completely rely on one for primary/survival fire starting.

Now I do find lighters to be a good tool for some type of hobbyist or craftsman who needs limited fire for use in their job. I just seen a couple of manufacturing jobs on the TV Show "How It's Made" on the Science Channel where the craftsman needed quick and reliable fire to complete a couple of different jobs he had. But again for serious survival type long term use?? It's just simply not meant for that type of usage. But this has been an interesting discussion.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

So, I don't smoke obviously because I just turned 16, but for just messing around with, needing the occasional fire starting tool and doing a few little tricks with, Zippos are fantastic. Like a few other brands, they have a lifetime warranty and its fabulous. They'll take century old Zippos and fix them for you no problem. plus they last forever. My grandpa still has his zippo from the Korean war. :D :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:That last line was a good point you made there EVIL>>Because the more I think about it Lighters for the most part are geared toward tobacco smokers. And 99% of them smoke daily if not hourly so therefore most of your major lighters are designed and meant for people with a tobacco smoking habit and not really meant to be an outdoorsman's tool per se.

Oh I will take a couple of the disposable lighters I've found here where I work in my bug out bag but I most certainly won't completely rely on one for primary/survival fire starting.

Now I do find lighters to be a good tool for some type of hobbyist or craftsman who needs limited fire for use in their job. I just seen a couple of manufacturing jobs on the TV Show "How It's Made" on the Science Channel where the craftsman needed quick and reliable fire to complete a couple of different jobs he had. But again for serious survival type long term use?? It's just simply not meant for that type of usage. But this has been an interesting discussion.

A basic Bic disposable lighter is a pretty formidable fire source. They're really tough little lighters. I've found them floating in pay lakes while fishing, pulled them out and they light right up even with the metal parts covered in rust. I'm all for knowing how to start a fire the "caveman way" but I also think anyone who's serious about having a BOB would be silly not to have a few Bics in there too. It's not like they take up space or weight in a backpack. You can never rule out things like injury, where you may end up with only one hand to start a fire..then you'd be screwed with most bushcraft style fire starting methods that take 2 hands to do.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I have a Colibri lighter for cigars but i usually use matches of course i don't partake in cigars much anymore. I always carry a zippo even though i don't smoke cigarettes. I keep 2 or 3 bics in the car and a good bit of matches too. You never know when you'll need a fire. I have about 11 or so zippos not really a collection as much of a rotation when i get tired of looking at the same one.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

As far as wet lighters go, check out the Maratac peanut lighter, it has an o-ring sealed cap so evaporation, I just ordered a copper one.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

farnorthdan wrote:As far as wet lighters go, check out the Maratac peanut lighter, it has an o-ring sealed cap so evaporation, I just ordered a copper one.
Yep...that little o-ring works. The one I mentioned earlier has one, and it has sat for over a year since being filled up and still lights the first time, every time.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

my copper peanut came today, this thing is perfect and so small, hardly notice in pocket....

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Kind of a bummer it's stamped with a logo...I'd like it a lot more if it were plain.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

its not really a stamp, not sure if its laser etched or what but I cant feel anything when passing a finger over it, it will probably wear off over time, I'm hoping it gets a nice patina.