ZT

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

ZT

Post by MacLaren »

Any ZT fans in the house? I just bought my first one. An 0562CF. Hopefully to be here Monday.
Surfingringo

Re: ZT

Post by Surfingringo »

MacLaren wrote:Any ZT fans in the house? I just bought my first one. An 0562CF. Hopefully to be here Monday.
Well made knives with a relatively high "fondle value". Can't touch Spyderco when it comes to actual performance though. Some love them and I can understand why but I tried a couple and they just weren't for me. Just my opinion.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been tempted many times but mostly put off by the weight of every one I've handled. I'm sure that translates into strength, but they're not something I'd EDC, and so I may never buy one. Never say never though.
sdedalus83

Post by sdedalus83 »

I like the looks and build of the 562, and I'm thinking about getting one for my dad. He's watched too many youtube videos of custom ti framelock flippers and now thinks he needs one, despite being unable to figure out how to reliably open and comfortably close my skyline.

I won't buy anything more costly than the skyline for myself, as I don't like the limitations of a flipper in a user and hate the idea of a free swinging blade with a lock that requires you to put your thumb in its closing path.
I carry a serrated Robin2 at work, a Cara Cara Rescue 2 in the glove box, and a ZDP Dragonfly or Junior everywhere else. My PM2 sits on a shelf with a small assortment of Kershaws.
Waiting patiently for the Native 5 lightweight and the Lil' Temperance 2.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I like them and appreciate the quality. I used to EDC a 0200 and a 0561, not at the same time, but I always migrated back to Spyderco knives for actual use. I do still have quite a few of them just for the simple fact that I am an unapologetic collector of sharp things. ;)

Enjoy your new 0562CF, it is a nice knife.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I have a 770CF, its nice for sure, very light, like the blade shape and elmax
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I liked the 0560, but ZT really stepped up their game with the 0562CF, just wish it was a bit bigger. It carries well, but my hands get a little claustrophobic at times. It's like trying on the next size shoe and finding it's much more comfortable. Hope they make one someday scaled up to 0560 size.
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

I didn't want to start a new thread for my question but does anyone have experience with DPx Gear knives? I'm eyeing the new HEAT model with the smaller blade....
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanx everyone for the great replies.
I'll be sure to do a thread with initial impression and pics.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

carbon fiber, titanium, slicer grind and m390 mmmmmmm......
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I have a ZT0550 last gen with the steel lockbar insert. Took forever to break in so it could be opened one handed. Now it is butter smooth, zero play. I love Spydeco, but will not sell this ZT.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

MacLaren wrote:Any ZT fans in the house? I just bought my first one. An 0562CF. Hopefully to be here Monday.
Cool! I had a preorder for one that I canceled because I just wasn't ready to spend the money. I did however wind up getting a 0566 on the exchange for my first ZT for a real good price, but it's in the shop. I've never experienced up and down blade play in any knife at any price, and this thing had it bad. Like it would rattle audibly because it had so much room to move up and down. I sent it in and I really hope I get back a good working knife, because I really wanted to like it. Yeah, it's unnecessarily heavy and thick, but it worked well for the two days I had it and it felt good in my hand. I'll probably end up picking up a 0562CF eventually because it is an awfully handsome knife.
DeltaDag

Post by DeltaDag »

Anyone looking for an 0561 for $164.25 can find them available at the "Big River." With free S&H thrown in, this seems to be a very decent offer. It's uncertain how stable this price will be.

Happy Holidays!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

PayneTrain wrote:
Cool! I had a preorder for one that I canceled because I just wasn't ready to spend the money. I did however wind up getting a 0566 on the exchange for my first ZT for a real good price, but it's in the shop. I've never experienced up and down blade play in any knife at any price, and this thing had it bad. Like it would rattle audibly because it had so much room to move up and down. I sent it in and I really hope I get back a good working knife, because I really wanted to like it. Yeah, it's unnecessarily heavy and thick, but it worked well for the two days I had it and it felt good in my hand. I'll probably end up picking up a 0562CF eventually because it is an awfully handsome knife.
I hate that man. I hope they get it right. From what research I've did into ZT, I would concur with what Shunsui said. At least that's what most people are saying, ZT really stepped it up with the 0562CF. We shall see :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

shunsui wrote:I liked the 0560, but ZT really stepped up their game with the 0562CF, just wish it was a bit bigger. It carries well, but my hands get a little claustrophobic at times. It's like trying on the next size shoe and finding it's much more comfortable. Hope they make one someday scaled up to 0560 size.
Awesome. I've heard the same. Also, feel free to post some pics of that 0562CF anytime ya want :)
Last edited by MacLaren on Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

I like what they have done, especially with some of the newer models, as they are a little thinner blades than previous models were.

I got into them mainly because of the Elmax blade steel option, since Spyderco only offered a dealer exclusive in it at the time.

Can't wait to see what they will offer for 2015!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

GCG199 wrote:
Can't wait to see what they will offer for 2015!
Shot Show is just over a month away then we'll see :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I just traded for a 0770CF and its okay. I just don't think ZT has found the sweet spot yet. Everything they make is either overbuilt or under built. I had a 550 and it was too much while the 0770CF is okay I think the flipper is too hard to operate and the liner lock is too hard to disengage and the sharp edge hurts your finger. Actually I prefer the Kershaw 1870 Knockout to anything KAI makes at present.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

MacLaren wrote: I hate that man. I hope they get it right. From what research I've did into ZT, I would concur with what Shunsui said. At least that's what most people are saying, ZT really stepped it up with the 0562CF. We shall see :)
Well I found a nice surprise today. I came home from work to find it sitting in a ridiculously sized box on the front step, and it works flawlessly now. I can't tell what they did but the lockup is earlier and rock solid. The scale is the same (I can tell by the rust), the blade is the same serial number, so I'm guessing they did something in the pivot perhaps? Whatever, I like it! I'll put the 0562CF back on my list. Thanks ZT!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

She came this a.m.
And, it takes a lot of force to flip. Very strong detent. Kinda the Gayle Bradley of flippers lol.
Very nice knife though....