Does Anybody Ride a Motorcycle or Scooter?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Does Anybody Ride a Motorcycle or Scooter?

Post by Doc Dan »

Hi Folks,

Do any of you ride a motorcycle or scooter?

Over here, the traffic congestion is worse than you can imagine. People drive in the emergency lanes, down the sidewalks, and the lines on the road are only a suggestion. It can take 45 minutes or longer to go a mile (1.6k).

A Harley costs more than a nice house and they are impractical in this level of heavy traffic. Big bikes do not do well, either, regardless of manufacturer. So, I bought a Honda CB500F with ABS. It is a twin cylinder so it has that rumble. It is the perfect compromise between too big and too small.

What is interesting is that my first motorcycle back in the 1970's was a 1974 Suzuki GT550 triple. Here is a a photo of one exactly like mine (I do not know whose this is) from back in the 70's. It is the same color and everything.

They have the same performance specs, pretty much. I have had other motorcycles, but I seem to have come full circle due to having to get to work through heavy traffic.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
OldHoosier62

Re: Does Anybody Ride a Motorcycle or Scooter?

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I started out in the 70's on a Suzuki 185 then to a Yamaha TT500 but once I got to street bikes I never looked back.

Started streeting on a 2-stroke Kawasaki 350 triple then my dad came home with a "bike-in-a-box" that he had won in a poker game and told me that IF I could put it together and make it run then I could keep it (He told me later that that was a big mistake on his part :D )...turned out to be a 1971 HD Sportster with a weld-on hardtail (ouch) that I rode early in my Marine Corps career.......after that they pretty much become a blur of old Harley's,Triumphs,a BSA or two and several more 2-stroke triples...aka death on tires.

Before the Biker-build-off craze I could still pick up old HD's dirt cheap, then strip them,paint them and make a few bucks....not anymore.

My heart problems keep me from driving anymore but I still have my memories.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Been riding dirtbikes and quads all my life and once legal I went out and purchased this beauty. It was 10 years old and (heated / air condition) garage kept. Had only 700 miles when I found her. Now years later I have sadly only put 10K miles on it and most of them making the 40 mile commute to work at an average of 65 mph. I don't think I will ever be able to talk the wife into letting me have a second bike, but I really want a Ducati sport classic (air cooled L-Twin with spoke wheels). Cheers to you as a two wheel rider. Keep it between the ditches and watch out for the other idiots.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I don't ride or have a bike, but all three of my brothers ride. :o My one brother has a sweet looking Fatboy, FWIW.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

xceptnl wrote:Been riding dirtbikes and quads all my life and once legal I went out and purchased this beauty. It was 10 years old and (heated / air condition) garage kept. Had only 700 miles when I found her. Now years later I have sadly only put 10K miles on it and most of them making the 40 mile commute to work at an average of 65 mph. I don't think I will ever be able to talk the wife into letting me have a second bike, but I really want a Ducati sport classic (air cooled L-Twin with spoke wheels). Cheers to you as a two wheel rider. Keep it between the ditches and watch out for the other idiots.

Sweet bike.

Over here, many people drive BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Lamborghini, and when you see one of those, you can bet they are going to try to kill you as they are the most important people in the world to themselves. Last year, at the beginning of Chinese New Year someone ran over a guy on a motorcycle from behind. Since it is bad luck to stop and help someone like that, 1000's of cars kept running over him, spreading his parts for miles, in their mad rush to get home for the holidays.
Yeah, I have to watch out for idiots.

But, it is great to ride otherwise!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
remnar

Post by remnar »

Doc,

That looks like the perfect bike for your needs.

Here's a pic of the bike that I sold about a year ago when I was moving. I'm getting the itch again and I've been thinking about getting a sport-touring bike.

ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Cool. Honda just gets it right.

I have a Vespa (modern 4 stroke auto, with Malossi 190cc top end, and upgraded transmission). I live in Brighton - I have to!

I also have a BMW R850R. It was my first proper bike, and I thought it would do for a while, but it does everything so capably I've kept it for almost 8 years! Totally unexciting but totally reliable, corners well due to the low c of g, plenty quick enough for me on the busy UK roads, and comfortable enough for week long European tours. No chrome or spokes to polish, either.

I am often surprised how many guys have never tried a motorcycle. You don't have to ride like a loon, but the sense of freedom you get is extraordinary.

Someone rightly said that in a car, you're watching the movie, but on a bike you're in it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Grew up riding BMX and dirtbikes, always wanted a road bike but never got one because I spent my first 20 years destroying myself on my bicycle so adding an engine and more speed than I can pedal was a recipe for disaster.

That said, one of these days I've always told myself if I ever get tired of my Mustang, I'm gonna build a cafe racer. I'm a hardcore '80s Kawasaki Z1000 fan and would kill for one like this..

I'd also settle for either of these..
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Nice bike Remnar...real nice. Have you seen the new Indian Scout?

EvilD, I was the proud rider of an 80's Z1000. Scary fast. I think they were faster than those today, but I wouldn't bet on it. They were fast. They used to race hotrods against them back in the day.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

remnar wrote:Doc,

That looks like the perfect bike for your needs.

Here's a pic of the bike that I sold about a year ago when I was moving. I'm getting the itch again and I've been thinking about getting a sport-touring bike.

Here you go, some eye candy:

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/s ... nder-black" target="_blank

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/scout-indian-red" target="_blank

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Not an eyecatcher but a trusty motorcycle for touring adventures ... however described, it's my motorcylce and I would not change it for another - Honda Transalp XL650V ;)

and may I introduce my companion at all drives. He's watching over me and is a gift from my brother :)

Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Peter1960 wrote:Not an eyecatcher but a trusty motorcycle for touring adventures ... however described, it's my motorcylce and I would not change it for another - Honda Transalp XL650V ;)

and may I introduce my companion at all drives. He's watching over me and is a gift from my brother :)

Nice Honda. We do not get to see that model, here. It has that nice Twin cylinder rumble, too, I bet.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Nice bikes. I used to ride this 1972 Honda CB350, but sold it about 7 years ago.

:bug-red-white
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Just this. 1984 xl350r. I have owned it for many years. Most of it's miles are on pavement actually. Almost 10,000 now. :D

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Traffic in Mauritius is crazy in rush hours as well. I prefer not to ride the bike (a Honda CTX200) in traffic and keep it for exploring on weekends where it is a pleasure on the narrow roads and there is usually never parking for my pick-up. Import duties start increasing exponentially after 125cc so a larger bike starts getting expensive by comparison to the same bike elsewhere in the world. A lot of locals ride "motos" here as the primary means of transport (other than busses), generally 125s and those pedal start scooter thingies. Annual road tax on the bike is US$25 compared to US$500 on my truck!!

In a South Africa I have a BMW 650 Dakar that hasn't been ridden in 18 months and is patiently waiting for my contract here to expire.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I know that BMW is really missed.

It is interesting to see how many Hondas are cropping up on this thread. Honda build quality cannot be beat.

Recently, I put the handlebars from the CB500X on my F and vastly improved its performance in the city. I sit even more upright and can really flick the bike in traffic, now. Those guys with the lean over racing style bikes have a hard time in heavy traffic. But not me. It now handles like a smaller bike.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

This is me and the Beemer in the rain in St Mere Eglise, Normandy: sacred ground for the U.S. Airbourne.
Attachments
image.jpg
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

This is the one I ride the most (2002 soft tail Deuce), also have my first HD, a 1991 sportster.

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Nice bagger.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Here is my 07 Sporty...

After I put a pair of Ohlins on and restrung the forks. In the back is my K bike that I sold to buy a Triumph Speed Triple.

And here is my Dad in 1949 in Burbank, CA. He just turned 89 and still rides. He just bought a Yamaha FZ-09 and has a 1968 HD Pan/Shovel.