Dangers of a Friction Folder?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Dangers of a Friction Folder?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have one of those Svord carbon steel friction folders. I like how it feels, it is very beefy, and the carbon steel blade is definitely a pure work-edge. But, I am kindof nervous to use it to cut into materials such as cardboard and things that would give alot of resistance, because, I have read of and heard horror stories of people losing fingertips and such because of no solid lock. What do you all think? Can a FF knife be put to hard use or should there be a realistic limit for personal safety? Example: Would anyone here use a friction folder to skin and clean a deer or large fish or no?
DeathBySnooSnoo

Re: Dangers of a Friction Folder?

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

The ONLY way there MIGHT be any more danger is using a non locking knife is if it binds in something and you pull it out in a way that pulls the blade in the direction it closes in. And with a friction folder, because your hand/thumb in holding the tang down, that is really very unlikely to happen.

IMO anyone that cuts themselves with a non locking knife was either careless and not paying attention or was doing something stupid to begin with.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I have three FF at home, which are two beautiful european Piamonteses and one japanese HigoNoKami, all of them are my designated InHouse blades. :)

I've never had any kind of issue or accident, nor suffered the slightest cut with them, and the regular use I put them through is food prep, light wood restoration and mail cardboard slicing for recycle.

I think the only way to cut yourself with a FF is if you're not paying attention when using it.

And if you're not paying attention when using a cutting tool well, you shouldn't be using it to begin with. :rolleyes:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There are just a couple things a friction folder can't do that a locking blade can. The biggest is probably stabbing and/or pushing the blade or tip into something in such a way that the blade could be allowed to rotate around unexpectedly and close. It's less likely with the kind that has a tang that rotates around to the back of the handle, but still possible. If all you're doing is cutting things, you're just as save as any other blade.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I suspect that the greatest danger might be having the tang extension accidentally cause the knife to open part way in your pocket.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have a friction folder by Citadel that I really like . The edge has a temper line as on a quality sword and will shave like a straight razor. It was hand forged in the moutains of Northern Cambodia. The handle is a single piece of Buffalo horn that is heated to soften it and then wrapped around to form a handle.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

This is the only FF I have, the pressure of the cut keeps the blade form closing obviously and I ordered the sheath for pocket carry insuring that it doesn't open in pocket.

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Hey Dan,

What do you think of it? I'm trading emails with Michael right now and trying to decide on a design (or a couple :p).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I talked with Michael about a year ago to have one made but never got around to placing my order. I tried to talk him into making one just a bit longer but he wouldn't go for it.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Its definitely a nice piece, a little thick though not much of a slicer, I'm in the process of reprofiling it. The fit and finish is great and very tight, you can tell he's made a few ;) If you get one, definitely pay the extra money for the sheath, its as nice as the knife. One other thing I've noticed is you want to keep the blade oiled or it will start to tarnish especially if you leave it stored in the sheath. Also it took a lot longer for delivery than originally stated, it took like 8 months to get mine.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The thickness, carbon steel, and size are what have held me back thus far. I could live with the non stainless, and maaaaaybe even the size, but the thickness is kind of a downer. I have Spydercos that are about the same thickness (Southard) but I would really rather he ground them thinner, even if it does mean losing the cool file pattern.

And yeah, he has them down pat that's for sure. If you check you tube he has videos of the process on there. I really wish he would except more custom orders and not just the patterns he offers.
Jan D.

Post by Jan D. »

The important features of a good friction folder are:

- adjustable tension on the pivot: the knife is held closed in your pocket by the friction, so it may not be a really slick opener.
- the extention of the blade may not be too long. the longer it is, the more chance of accidental opening in the pocket.
- the point of the blade needs to be at least 1/4" inside the handle when closed. Tis allows for a wide anough margin should the blade move a bit.

My EDC is a friction folder, Higo style, and have been wearing it in my jeans and dress pants for 5 years now. I have had no accidents with my folder opening in my pocket.

take care,

Jan
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I prefer a wharnie FF because draw cuts are where they shine. Keep it sharp and used in that way and you will never cut yourself. Start pushing, twisting and not paying attention and you can cut yourself even with a locked knife.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Seems like stabbing is a risky move as well. (Cutting up boxes frequently invovles stabbing.)

I almost never use friction folders so I don't know how often this would happen. Something like 5 years ago I had a small multitool with a small friction blade. We were on a beach in Oregon and my wife asked to borrow it to cut off a piece of seaweed and she immediately cut her hand when the blade closed on her. This might say that a friction folder is more dangerous to the occasional user than to the experienced user.