Moving is...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
remnar

Moving is...

Post by remnar »

a pain in the rear.

That is all folks. :D
Trout Hound

Re: Moving is...

Post by Trout Hound »

Amen to that!
A sharp knife is a pleasure to carry. Five or six sharp knives are an even greater pleasure.

Trout Hound
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

remnar wrote:a pain in the rear
Exactly one year ago my wife and I were packing to move, just 4 days in the future. We had a lot of stuff to pack and although we started early we did not understand the work and time involved.

We had a 4 bedroom house, we are not hoarders, we are fairly neat, but we did have a lot of stuff to move. We had 3 movers come to our house with a large truck, and they made 2 trips. We did not have everything packed so the movers ignored some closets and the attic. We put a dumpster in the driveway and filled it up. We set aside one room to put furniture and other items that were going to charity, and eventually they brought a big truck to haul away that stuff. I had a project car I was working on, my wife didn't want me to move it so I sold it. Someone came with a trailer to pick it up. We eventually tackled the attic which was a lot of work, and we finally rented a U-haul truck to move everything that was left by ourselves.

We managed to get the house organized fairly quickly, at least the things like furniture, lamps, kitchen stuff, basically the stuff that the wife wanted organized. My stuff stayed in the garage and a spare bedroom until I was allowed time to work with it. I still have some boxes that need to be opened, sorted, etc.

So yes moving is a lot worse than a pain in the ***.

And that doesn't even begin to cover the work we had to do to the old house to get it ready to sell, or the work we had to do to the new house that was not anticipated.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Well, what knife did you carry with you while you did it? Unpacking takes a lot of cutting of boxes and tape!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

True, but sometimes the end result is worth it. :)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

The Deacon wrote:True, but sometimes the end result is worth it. :)
Only if it's to a beach or an island, Paul (to me)

When we moved in here 12 years ago we swore we were never moving again. We are going to die in this house ;)

Ken
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

That's funny you should mention , because my wife and I are in the process of moving in about a week. Not looking forward to it. However, we are moving to a bigger full sport lake and so I guess you could say we'll have the beach thing as Ken mentioned. :) I moved a lot as a kid, so moving isn'the exactly my favorite thino to do.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Last time I moved, I took a 30' uhaul to get there, and a 25' to get out again... Couch took 3 of us to get in, and went out via sawzall.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've procured so many tools since I last moved (18 years ago!) that I dread the thought of picking up and relocating.

I like your innovative use of the Sawzall, Vampyrewolf. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time something needs to be disposed of...

TedP
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

When I moved earlier this year it was the first time I'd ever had to change address, other than going to and from college. I learned two things - #1 is that the process is all about momentum and #2 is to try and travel light from this point forward.

Good luck to those in the midst of the fun/chaos. ;)
~ Nate
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I literally have things still boxed up in my garage from the last time I moved 4 years ago. That's a sure sign that you need to part ways with some things that have no real use in your life. All that aside, I hate packing and moving the most, but I rather enjoy starting fresh in a new place, and unpacking everything and setting everything up in a different way, it helps to keep things fresh. I'd love to rearrange my house but things are pretty much at their optimal place so I don't have many options to change things up.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:I literally have things still boxed up in my garage from the last time I moved 4 years ago. That's a sure sign that you need to part ways with some things that have no real use in your life. All that aside, I hate packing and moving the most, but I rather enjoy starting fresh in a new place, and unpacking everything and setting everything up in a different way, it helps to keep things fresh. I'd love to rearrange my house but things are pretty much at their optimal place so I don't have many options to change things up.
+1 Well said.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

chuckd wrote:Well, what knife did you carry with you while you did it? Unpacking takes a lot of cutting of boxes and tape!
If you are asking me, I used a 154 Manix 2. I got the knife used and it was pretty dull. I sharpened it on my DMT diamonds. I cut a lot of tape and cut up a lot of cardboard. There were a lot of boxes to tape up and later cut open. Then after we moved my wife was buying new furniture, rugs and other decorating items. Our garage kept filling up with boxes and I was frequently out there slicing boxes so I could put them out for the trash. I noticed that the Manix 2 kept a working edge for quite awhile, but it is by no means a superknife. I also found it interesting that after cutting open a few boxes the blade would be gummed up with tape residue, but then slicing up a few boxes would have the blade clean and shiny.

This was my first experience with a Manix 2. When I first bought it I wasn't that impressed with it, partly because I found it heavy and partly because it was hard for me to close. I didn't spend much for it so I decided it would be a good knife for box duty. After using it for awhile I learned quick ways to open and close it, and realized I could operate it very quickly with one hand. Doing box duty means a lot of work where you really need to use a knife one-handed. After actually using the knife I really liked it and now I have several more of them.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Speaking of moving...

So I found out today about how much it's going to cost to move our baby grand piano. How about a cool $500? :eek: Egads. Cough, cough. That hurts. I mean, I could buy another Kris and still have some leftover cash. :D *Sigh*
remnar

Post by remnar »

chuckd wrote:Well, what knife did you carry with you while you did it? Unpacking takes a lot of cutting of boxes and tape!
I pondered this question as I was packing up my 70+ knives. The one that did not make it into the box, but did make it into my pocket is the zdp Caly 3. It has handled the tape and boxes with ease. I did have to give it a good cleaning to remove the glue from the packing tape and for the first time I had to touch up the edge. The edge retention of zdp-189 is excellent and the ergos of the Caly 3 are just about perfect for me.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Moving is an adventure... and, you get to see and do things many people can only dream of... and, yes, it does get tiring after a while...

During my service in the military, I've moved ten times in 29+ years, and I'm getting ready to move again... but, this time back home to stay!

After arriving at my first assignment, I found myself having to pack up and move to my second assignment a year and a half later. Before leaving my first duty station, a friend's wife cross stitched a framed piece for me as a going-away gift that read, "Home is where the Air Force sends you." SO TRUE! That cross stitched gift was the first thing to go up on my wall at each new assignment... and, next month the Air Force is finally moving me home!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
remnar

Post by remnar »

Was my thread just spammed by Stephen Hawking? Make sure you read his post with that computer generated voice in your head. ;) :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

......worth the money to hire it done ;)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Moved 3 years ago from rented house to our own house and I am in no hurry to do so again.
There is one box still sitting, un loved, in the spare bedroom and I've nearly got all the pictures up. ;)

Highlights included having a 'frank exchange of views' with the wife regarding her wanting to take several boxes of 'misc stuff' that had been sat in our current attic to move it to our new home and fill our new attic....Without opening said boxes and making a 'value judgment' on binning the lot ;)

Then getting into the new place to find the former owners had removed all the curtain poles as we hadn't specified them on the survey....so it was like sleeping an office block the first night, prior to a crash-visit to Ikea for 10 curtain poles and rings.

Though the 3rd day of the move, where we got the cats back from my folks was hilarious- as they spent all night bombing around the house from top to bottom, jumping onto our bed every 40 minutes or so to "Meow" in our faces which I took to be 'cat' for "MOM! DAD!...GUESS WHAT WE FOUND!?"
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

remnar wrote:Was my thread just spammed by Stephen Hawking? Make sure you read his post with that computer generated voice in your head. ;) :D
Lol! I had actually started to read it in his voice when I saw your post. ;) Too funny!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal