New Leatherman

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
3rdGenRigger

New Leatherman

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I lent my best friend my convertible for his wedding pictures, and it really was a great wedding. He bought all the groomsmen a Leatherman Wave, so now I have 2 Leathermans. The Skeletool has better blade steel (Though I don't like how thin the lockbar is so the knife is purely for backup purposes only on it), and can carry a second screwdriver bit in the handle, but doesn't have nearly the amount of accessories of the Wave. I like the slimness and pocket clip of the Skeletool and it makes a much nicer casual carry multi tool but I'll be carrying the Wave at work tomorrow for the first time in the belt sheath it came with. I'm anxious to give this thing a whirl. Here's a few crappy comparison photos from my phone.

All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
xceptnl

Re: New Leatherman

Post by xceptnl »

Love me a Leatherman. I carry the Freestyle CX everyday as well as a fullsize Charge AL in my EDC bag. Recently gifted my brother a Wave with the bit kit and leather pouch. I don't think he carries it though...sadly he doesn't know what he is missing.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

My Skeletool CX has been a perfect companion to whichever Spyderco (Or two) I have in my opposite jeans pocket, and I bought it mainly because it has a clip, but I can justify a belt sheath for sure when I'm at work so I'll be giving the Wave a go. It should also be useful when I'm doing acreage maintenance work, but for casual carry the Skeletool CX will still be riding shotgun every time. It's about the size and weight of a Native 5 when closed and as such carries really nicely in front jeans pocket. I consider the blades of my Leathermans as extreme backup as I don't like the slimness of the lockbar and I prefer a better choice of steel...but that's what my Spydercos are for. The Leathermans are there mostly for the pliers and screwdriver bits, but I have a feeling the file especially on the Wave will come in handy. It has a more traditional bottle opener that has to be pulled out, but I know already I'll prefer the built in carabiner bottle opener of the Skeletool because I don't have to pull it out of the handle and the biner gate holds onto the bottle cap after it's been removed from the bottle.

---> Branden
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Leatherman type folding scissors are very useful to me, but you are correct about the pliers being the most important tool. As for the bottle opener, I always have my beers opened before they are served to me ;)
*Landon*
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I have a skeletool that I have broken the pliers on twice. They have a great warranty department so I was shipped a brand new one the first time around, but then broke that one too. Haven't sent the broken one in to be replaced yet, I'd rather replace it for one with beefier pliers. The wave is a great tool, when I was a kid my dad gave me one and I have since lost it which is a horrible thought. It was USA made one too.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I bought a Skeletool for EDC but I have so many nice folders that I can't carry it instead of a folder. I do sometimes carry it around the house though. I have a Juice and a Charge. I bought the Juice to carry in my pants pocket and I do sometimes but it has to fight for space with everything else that I carry. I carry the Charge when I think I might need the tools. I like them all.

Donut

Post by Donut »

For the past two years, I've been checking the black Friday ads and getting a leatherman for about $20. They are pretty nice quality and smaller than my SOG's. They are kind of heavy, IMO.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

"Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn’t work you can always hit them with it."
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

defenestrate wrote:"Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn’t work you can always hit them with it."
LOL,.... I spent 10 minutes of my morning looking for that exact video clip to post in response to Donut's post. Great minds I guess!

Found the meme though.

*Landon*
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Would you believe I read on the Case Forum where one of the members checked into the Hospital and when the Nurse saw a Leather man on his belt she called Security. They confiscated his Leather man tool and two other small pocket knives and sent a shrink to the room to ask why he felt he needed all those knives. That's just how totally stupid this country has become. Another member was talking about how an Atheist had attacked one of his fellow Church Members in a fast food restaurant for saying thanks for his food.
Trout Hound

Post by Trout Hound »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Would you believe I read on the Case Forum where one of the members checked into the Hospital and when the Nurse saw a Leather man on his belt she called Security. They confiscated his Leather man tool and two other small pocket knives and sent a shrink to the room to ask why he felt he needed all those knives. That's just how totally stupid this country has become. Another member was talking about how an Atheist had attacked one of his fellow Church Members in a fast food restaurant for saying thanks for his food.
Haha, once they got all the knives off of me, they'd put me in a rubber room.
A sharp knife is a pleasure to carry. Five or six sharp knives are an even greater pleasure.

Trout Hound
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Yeah for real. I carry four all the time and a couple are more dangerous than a Leatherman
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I usually have one or two on top of the Leatherman. Last time I was in the hospital the nurse was trying to cut a bandage off me with a pair of shears that needed a sharpening...she was about to grab another pair and I pulled out my ladyBug to cut it off to save time. She didn't bat an eye, but might have if I had pulled out the PM2 I had in my pocket haha.

---> Branden
Noah

Post by Noah »

I love my Leatherman Wingman, been carrying one clipped to my left pocket opposite my Spydie for a few years now. With a good Spydie, a good flashlight, and a good multitool with pliers, scissors, and scredrivers, and a gun if you are so inclined and legally able, there isn't much in life you can't do.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Got a MUT and a Charge Ti, love them both. Main reason for purchasing was the bit system, so much better/versatile/more compact for a multitool than traditional bits.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

For some odd reason, I'm on a Leatherman buying streak lately.

Should have avoided their official site. Latest one is a Leatherman T-shirt and a Leatherman Brewzer.

Other than a flashlight, the Brewzer will be the only other tool on my keychain. Never realized til recently just how perfect it'll be on my key-ring. Also.... That is one nice looking T-shirt.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

The Skeletool and Wave both have bottle openers, and the blade of a Spyderco (At the spine right where the opening hole is) make perfect bottle openers so I don't need a separate tool for that, but I have been considering a titanium widgy bar for my keychain to handle prying tasks.

---> Branden
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

About 5 years ago I gave my old Wave to my son who lives in Seattle. Recently, while in Seattle, saw (and used) the "old" Wave. Wow, I just then realized how I missed the Wave and got another. :) What a great tool. Added the pocket clip, perfect.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I've been carrying Leatherman multi-tools since at least 1994... wonderful tools!

I'm currently EDCing a Leatherman Super Tool 200 along with a Leatherman Tool Adapter and Leatherman Micra. These are sometimes accompanied by a Leatherman Super Tool 300 or Leatherman Pulse.

I also have the original Leatherman Survival Pocket Tool (my first Leatherman multi-tool) and the original Leatherman Super Tool.

Nice practical products!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Would you believe I read on the Case Forum where one of the members checked into the Hospital and when the Nurse saw a Leather man on his belt she called Security. They confiscated his Leather man tool and two other small pocket knives and sent a shrink to the room to ask why he felt he needed all those knives. That's just how totally stupid this country has become. Another member was talking about how an Atheist had attacked one of his fellow Church Members in a fast food restaurant for saying thanks for his food.
I pray for the day this happens to me, because I will sue that hospital and be rich enough to buy all the maniacal implements of destruction (those evil pocket knives and multitools) I want.