Variety in the collection (pics/thoughts)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Clip

Variety in the collection (pics/thoughts)

Post by Clip »

Been quite a while since I had a few minutes to breathe and post some, so I'll give a quick run-down, pictures and thoughts mostly, of some of the knives I've obtained and used during my hiatus. Feel free to post some thoughts!

I posted in the Nilte Quiete thread a few weeks ago that I'd found one on BF and would try it out.

Thoughts - what a light knife, very simple construction. Sharp blade, FFG decently thin. Interesting way to combine the backlock and spring. After playing with it for a little bit, I found I really missed a hole/thumb stud/flipper/one handed opening feature. In fact, I missed the lack of anything that would make two-handed opening easier. Gripping the stonewashed blade was tough at times. The sheepsfoot blade was well executed, but not my personal preference. I missed a pocket clip but can see the reason it was foregone. Very easy to slip in my pocket with a lanyard. Packs flat. White G10 is a refreshing touch but gets dirty quick.

Pics -

Next is the ZT 0550.

Thoughts - Typical great ZT construction. What a brick of a knife, very well-built with smooth corners and an excellent deep-carry clip. Surprisingly smooth action, smoother than my 0561 on bearings. I find I like the shorter, stout blade too. However, the detent is EXTREMELY strong new and really takes some breaking in to loosen up. Couple that with crisp edges on the thumb studs and I can only carry this one every few days while my thumb recovers. I'll take this any day over the loose detents on some knives I've had though. Also got a rosewood scale and carbon fiber scale with it but prefer the plain vanilla it came with.

Pics -

Speaking of smooth actions, this one is a leader - Doug Ritter RSK Mk1 in M390

Thoughts - I've had great experiences with Benchmade's Axis lock and this is no different. Received it days ago and out of the box, it required a little tuneup, polishing the washers, some Nano-Oil and adjusting/threadlocking the pivot. Edge is great, blade rings like it's been HT'd hard. Knifeworks said it was 62 Rc and it sounds like it. I just wish the standard handle didn't sound and feel so cheap, but it definitely keeps the cost down and keeps the weight light. Very comfortable handle too. Glad Wilkins and Cuscadi make replacements, but for $135 I feel this knife is a heck of a bargain.

Pic -

And now for something different, with stingray - Rockstead Chi

Thoughts - flawless fit, finish, construction. Incredibly sharp. Incredible machining. Stingray skin inlays. Everything screams quality right down to the deep carry clip.

Striders now

Thoughts - The SnGs are all well-built, nice knives for the weight. Ergos are good for me, haven't had any issues a good lube and proper tightening of the screws doesn't fix. Break-in period can be long, but once they're good they feel great. Really like the swedge, G10 machining and the digital camo on the S35VN TAD. The brown PD1 needed a detent bearing replaced so I used a silicon nitride for kicks, no problems and smooth action. Also have a Zwear (my go-to on Strider days) that just keeps going. For kicks, I also got an SJ75. Interesting that both this and the SnG come from the same company. Minimalist construction, smooth action and I love the filework on the spine and back of the handle. Little touches that make the knife fun to carry.

Pics -

Saved the southpaws for last. A special category since I'm lefty, and I usually consider LH models high-priority since I don't usually see them frequently. Refreshing to carry a framelock that is made for me once in a while.

CRK small Regular in BG42, large 21 in S35VN and an old pivot Umnumzaan tanto in S35VN

Thoughts - I started with the 21 about a year ago, maybe more, and was introduced to the reason Reeve has a great reputation. Got the small Regular a few months later and was still impressed. Since then I'd been hunting a Zaan with an old pivot. Saw one come up on BF not long ago with my dream combo - old pivot, no Idaho stamp, no overtravel stop, chunky jimping. I didn't realize I wanted a tanto blade until I started to love the look of the angles with the handle machining. This one has become king of the pocket. I am a fan of the orings on the thumb studs but am waiting on replacements from CRK as these are slightly stretched.

Pics -

Finally, a lefty DPx HEST by Lionsteel

Thoughts - again, this was a lefty framelock so I had to try it out. Nice Lionsteel build quality but the thumbstud positioning doesn't open in as smooth an arc as my other knives. 5mm D2 stock and a stubby 3" length with a generous handle makes this a comfy knife to use once open. Don't have much need for the tactical features such as the wire stripper, hex driver, glass breaker, wish they were left off for a cleaner look. Deep carry clip is nice though, and the knife isn't as heavy as it looks.

Pics -

Evil D

Re: Variety in the collection (pics/thoughts)

Post by Evil D »

At this time I'm very content with what Spyderco offers. If I were to own any other brands, it would be something from ZT, Strider, or maybe CRK if I could pony up the dough for one. I do strive for variety in my "collection", but I've also really refined my taste and desires to the point that I've noticed there's less variety than I expect because I keep gravitating to a certain set of criteria in each one I buy. Because of that I've started to focus more on either sprints of those particular knives or customizing them.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

The Striders have been growing on me, and I think I would really like them, but the cost is just a big barrier for me. They look to have a good heft, size and components but dang, Spyderco has spoiled me with their cost and quality. One day I will get a Strider, and maybe a Chrise Reeve.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Variety is good. I have several non-Spydies myself and enjoy sampling a few other makers from time to time. Nothing wrong with that, IMHO. Very nice collection you have there too, Clip. I have been eyeing a few Microtechs lately. Nothing serious--mostly window shopping. :)
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I'm very tempted by the Ritter in M390. I have one in S30V and really love the blade shape and lock. Do you know if that is a production run?
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Yeah, no harm in a little variety.

I have hundreds of Spydies, and until recently only one Benchmade. I also picked up a ZT 0350 and 0560, and since I have started really liking CF, I recently added a ZT 0770 CF/Elmax, and then based partly on Ankerson's review of them, I recently picked up a Benchmade 940-1 with CF/S90V, and I *really* like it - very lightweight, pretty CF. My first knife with their Axis lock. I'm sort-of adapting to the thumbstud opener, I still prefer Spydie-holes :).
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ETA: It now occurs to me that you were asking for thoughts about various additions to your collection, rather than thoughts on varying one's collection. Apologies if so :o , but I'll let my original thoughts ride, with absolutely no disrespect for what you have collected...

Since acquiring Spydercos, I haven't felt a need to look at other folders. Spyderco gives me all the inventiveness and experimentation (in steels, edges, locks, scales, ergos, purposes, collaborations, and permutations) I could ever want. No less importantly, I like what I see of and hear from the Glessers, not to forget the Spydercrew. Even if global in reach, theirs is a human-scaled operation. It listens. Whether other folder companies are like Spyderco in quality and approachability is now irrelevant for me.

That said, I have looked elsewhere for fixed blades. What ESEE Knives does in its limited way, it does really well. What few ESEEs I have I wouldn't worry about beating on in a SHTF situation (though I'm no fan of coated blades, ESEE makes a good argument for them).

But, because of my Spyderco experiences, I want not just quality but also variety and the family feel. I have found all these traits at L.T. Wright Handcrafted Knifes (and its predecessor, Blind Horse Knives, with its best.logo.ever, IMHO). LTWK (as the company is acronymed), like Spyderco, offers specials to its cognoscenti, backs its knives with a great warranty, and has its own forum, the Pout House. Unlike Spyderco, LTWK gives me rustic spark-throwing blades in many old-school styles with just a few tool steels. Spyderco is hardly rustic or so conservative. And, in contrast to Spyderco and its complex folders, LTWK's dedication to simple fixed blades makes it willing to produce one-off knives per customer specs, thus giving the family feel some remarkable substance...

Perhaps these quick and dirty smartphone comparisons of some smallish knives catch some of what I'm saying.

BHK's D2 Lil' Muk (remininscent of the skinning knife popularized in the 19th century by "Nessmuk") compared to a Techno

LTWK's just released D2 Patriot compared to a Dragonfly 2
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Nice knives. The Nilte Quiete in particular. I would love to get one, but they are a little on the pricey side! If I an get a deal on one, I'll pick it up. I like interesting knives and that qualifies.
I've got a bunch of non spydies. I like the variety and I think that other companies can make knives that are just as good as spydies, they just often don't.
I've got a ZT 0560 that I like. A couple kershaws, for a cheapy knife I really really like the 3410. I'm really looking forward to getting the Doug Ritter M390. Great blade shape, and I think a steal for the price.
I like a few others too, but have lacked the funds to purchase them...
Clip

Post by Clip »

I was lucky to have found the Nilte for little more than the Ritter M390, but after having it for a few weeks I decided it was in my best interests to part ways. Shipped it out this morning to a good home. The two-handed opening really inconvenienced me when I went to play with it at my desk :)
Holland

Post by Holland »

For folders i have a hard time going away from spyderco, I have tried a mini grip and thought the ergos were awful, i tried an umnumzaan and sold it cause it couldn't hold an edge long enough to break down a box, and ive treid ZT but they felt over built and way to heavy. The reason i sold all the knives above: The delica, caly3, and chaparral are all better imo than the mini grip. My GB, Chaparral, and all taiwan models had just as good f&f as the umnumzaan but could actually cut for longer then 90 seconds, and my gayle bradley felt just as rock solid as the ZT's but is more refined with better steel imo. :D

FB on the other had, my phil wilson smoke creek is amazing, and ive been very tempted to try out esee and other brands. Still need to find a bird and trout of some sort eventually
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Clip wrote:I was lucky to have found the Nilte for little more than the Ritter M390, but after having it for a few weeks I decided it was in my best interests to part ways. Shipped it out this morning to a good home. The two-handed opening really inconvenienced me when I went to play with it at my desk :)
That was a very good deal on it then. Some of the European sites that have them for sale are about twice that, even a little more.
Two handed opening isn't for everyone. I very often have a traditional folder on me, so I'm used to the 2 handed thing and it doesn't bug me...though for just sitting and playing with, its just not as fun. That's what my kershaws are for...just flipping open and closed over and over and over. Cutting is secondary. lol
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Try a Kershaw 1870 Knockout. I just got one in Saturday and absolutely love this knife. This is the only knife that has been able to knock the Caly 3.5 from my pocket since I purchased it three years ago. I guarantee you will like it as well as any of the knives shown and at around $60 only a small fraction of the cost.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Holland wrote:For folders i have a hard time going away from spyderco, I have tried a mini grip and thought the ergos were awful, i tried an umnumzaan and sold it cause it couldn't hold an edge long enough to break down a box, and ive treid ZT but they felt over built and way to heavy. The reason i sold all the knives above: The delica, caly3, and chaparral are all better imo than the mini grip. My GB, Chaparral, and all taiwan models had just as good f&f as the umnumzaan but could actually cut for longer then 90 seconds, and my gayle bradley felt just as rock solid as the ZT's but is more refined with better steel imo. :D

FB on the other had, my phil wilson smoke creek is amazing, and ive been very tempted to try out esee and other brands. Still need to find a bird and trout of some sort eventually
It is really tough when you get so much knife for the money. I really like the full size Grip, never tried a mini. Also haven't tried a Chaparral yet, but it's on my list with the 2mm stock. Tried a GB, lock was tough for a lefty and I liked my M4 Manix for the ergos with that steel. You're right about the Zaan needing more attention than some, wish it performed more like the BG42! But the rest of it - great LH specific knife!
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I also just added an Opinel No8 to my collection yesterday, got it for $8 basically brand new at a flea market and I must say, I love this thing! Such a classy and useful blade. I have had it in my back pocket, with a Millie in my front pocket.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

It is a nice collection a great variety. Lately I have been changing things up as well, CRK and Emerson have become the knives I carry the most frequently. I still have Spyderco's I can't do without and carry often like the Manix 2, Military, Domino & Dragonfly and other knives that just don't see as much pocket time as they use to. At present I only one ZT but I am excited about their new offerings, I am really hoping to there is a 0392 in my future.