Help identifying old Japanese sword

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
klug932000

Help identifying old Japanese sword

Post by klug932000 »

I know I could join another forum for this but why? I would have one post and leave. Also before we get started I will not take either apart to see the tang.

I'm guessing the first is a late ww2 production sword and the second is a tourist buy during he same era.

What do you guys think?

some of my work (nothing for sale on there) Facebook.com/454products
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

The top sword looks like a shobu zukuri wakizashi. Without seeing the tang, nothing can be determined about maker or time.

The second one looks far more like a production-for-trade sword. That Hamon looks fake on the second one. I'd need both in hand to determine the reality of hamon, and I'd need to do a small polish in order to "open a window" to determine blade quality.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
klug932000

Post by klug932000 »

Ya I was thinking along the same lines for the second one. And I am not comfortable taking apart the first one to see the tang. I enjoy both and will never sell them so I rather have a mystery and not risk damaging them.

I am considering adding to my collection, either a sa service or ss dagger.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Well, the first one is most likely a showa-to. The wrap looks to be a full wrap with the seam and the emperor node in pretty good placement. That would indicate that there may be some money there. The tsuba doesn't look promising for value, but the blade is where the value is anyway. It may be of use to have a polisher take a look.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
klug932000

Post by klug932000 »

The emperor node is what? The copper/brass piece under the wrapping?

Thanks for the info
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The copper brass piece is the menuki