Shirogorov Hati- PIC HEAVY

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
razorsharp

Shirogorov Hati- PIC HEAVY

Post by razorsharp »

This came in the mail on Friday...... I am almost a week late posting it up but that gave me time to use it a little.

Presenting : SHIROGOROV HATI CF / ELMAX / BLUE Ti

Steel - Elmax
Blade length - 3.8"
Handle length- 4.5"
OAL- 8.3"
Edge length- 4"
Behind edge - .010" at heel to belly, thickens to .020" at tip
Blade thickness- .172.5"
Opening method - Flipper
CRK style pivot

**** guys, i think this is the knife, as in THE knife, at least for now.
Lets start with the Fit and finish-
Flawless
I mean seriously flawless. The previous owner must have lubricated it when he got it and the flipping action was hindered. Now there is a strange thing going on here, it flips better with the likes of CRC 5.52 and other thin (wd40ish) lubes, when I use nano oil, its slightly smoother, but the detent comes out of the hole easier. hah. So I am sticking with CRC, anyway thats beside the point. Running it on CRC , it flips flawlessly. The flipepr tab isnt one of those pointy uncomfortable flippers like the Hinderer XM18 or Curtiss F3, it is designed to not be a hot spot.

Lockup out of the box sat at about 10 percent and absolutely rock solid in both directions, blade falls shut when the lockbar is released, and when using nano oil, it will fall shut with gravity. - Here is the fun part- It isn't on bearings, its on washers. Its smooth as a ball bearing pivot . I have since tweaked it to lock up later-

The lock has an overtravel stop built into the steel lockface to stop it getting over extended when unlocking, and has an overtravel stop to stop it engaging too far, though its only bent in enough to engage the steel face only. I have tried spine impacts on it (not hard) and its secure as can be.

The pivot is set up like a CRK , You have the little collar in the pivot, so when you put it back together, you just crank it all up and its perfect. The collar is made from phosphor bronze as opposed to steel. Although upon reassembling and generally screwing with the knife, I had a hair of play, so I opted for adjustability and shortened the collar with a couple swirls of sandpaper. But thats just me.

THe machine work is flawless, I can NOT find a fault, even the small corner has a chamfer where the lock cutout transitions into the relief cutout ( it isnt actually the relief but looks like one) Image

The Carbon fiber has a beautiful swooping pattern that fattens out , then between the gaps the pattern starts again , hard to explain but you might be able to see in the next pics it makes it look like all the arcs go from front to back, but only half of them do.

razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

The blade is a BEAUTIFULLY done flat grind that considers performance as important as the aesthetics. It goes down to 0.010" behind the edge at the heel and starts thickening out just after the belly starts to about 0.020" behind the edge at the tip (this is good, means I don't have to regrind it :) ) . The edge was done at about 13-14 Degrees per side with a Spyderco F rod microbevel. Out of the box it was about 15 Degrees per side. So far, for me, the ELMAX has held up wonderfully. This one is not a full flat grind variant, instead they make the grind a little bit lower, and do a very aesthetically pleasing milled cutout on the jimping. The jimping isnt where your thumb would naturally sit, The handle is pretty large and it is comfortable to sit your thumb on the handle itself. The jimping offers just enough tackiness for all your precision work.

With hard cutting, the handle does not get very uncomfortable, the ergonomics are clean, simple and just work in in all grips. even in RGEI. (no finger grooves and all that nonsense )

Blending in with the smooth lines is a sexy pocket clip that has been machined from a block of titanium. It has perfect retention, goes in and out of the pocket smoothly.

This knife offers a lanyard hole done in one of the coolest ways I have seen. Its built into the gear backspacer with a recess in the Ti and CF to let you get to the lanyard hole which will easily take 550 paracord.

Overall- I am impressed and don't see this one ever leaving me. Actually, its stopped a lot of my knife cravings, its everything I want in a knife.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That is outstanding. The clip is a little over done for my taste but otherwise that is very nice. I especially like how the corners of the tang are beveled and polished to match the blade. I don't think the overall style is "the one" for me, but I can definitely see why it is for you. I don't even wanna know what it cost.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Great new toy Travis! It's a tad big for me but looks really slick.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Evil D wrote:That is outstanding. The clip is a little over done for my taste but otherwise that is very nice. I especially like how the corners of the tang are beveled and polished to match the blade. I don't think the overall style is "the one" for me, but I can definitely see why it is for you. I don't even wanna know what it cost.
Lets just say they go for more than they used to... even from stores in Russia.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote:Great new toy Travis! It's a tad big for me but looks really slick.
Me too. Really beautiful but I'd want it 3" at most.

Ken
玉鋼
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Evil D wrote: I don't even wanna know what it cost.
There's an M390 on Truenorth for "only" $1400 ;)

Ken
玉鋼
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Travis, that is an elegant and beautiful folder...... I cringe thinking about what you are going to put it through... :D

Seriously though, I can't say enough how lucky you are to pick one up. Enjoy your treasure my friend!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Yeah, the guy that sharpens my Spydies, that's his favorite.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I've only seen pics of those in the BLADE magazine--and boy, pics just don't seem to do it justice. Nicely done, Trav. Have you stabbed your cell phone with it yet? ;-)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Wow that's a stunner, love the simplicity and the clean lines. Too many knives too little money.
Clip

Post by Clip »

I'm a fan. Love the machine work and attention to detail.

What's the warranty like? Post pics if you start to abuse it like your Zwear.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Jax

Post by Jax »

Sweet!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Very nice. Simple lines but an elegant design. I need to ask for a raise at work.
Donut

Post by Donut »

That's a pretty nice looking knife.

Does the steel lock insert also act as an over travel stop? I see a cutout next to it.

I like how the steel inserts help smooth out the operation of a titanium framelock.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Donut wrote:That's a pretty nice looking knife.

Does the steel lock insert also act as an over travel stop? I see a cutout next to it.

I like how the steel inserts help smooth out the operation of a titanium framelock.
It acts as an overtravel in both directions :)
Holland

Post by Holland »

Amazing knife Travis!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Can you use the serrations on top to open the knife by swinging it out with your thumb