Kitchen Cutlery

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
chuckd

Kitchen Cutlery

Post by chuckd »

Fellas,

I assume we are all similar and that we all tend to take a keen interest in cutlery of all forms, especially with regards to kitchen knives. I was wondering what sort of knives you guys keep in the kitchen? I just ordered a Tosagata Butakiri (http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product/ ... agata.aspx) in hopes of getting a feel for these knives. I have a few Cutco, Wusthof, Shun, then Laguiole steak knives and am particular to the use of Chefs knives so those tend to be what I browse the web for. I also hope to add a K04 to the ol block, probably one SE and one PE.

What do you guys keep in the kitchen? Pictures are of course welcome, I will have to get some pics of mine taken and up here!

:spyder: Chuck
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
KNaB

Post by KNaB »

I have a bunch of Shun's, but my favorites are these

Tim Wright Santoku. Fiddleback maple with copper sterling mokume bolster (I believe the mokume was made by Philip Baldwin) and W2 clad in stainless

Tim Wright chef's knife in AEBL and bird's eye maple.

Also have a utility knife in AEBL and fiddleback maple. You can also see the patina that has formed from use on the santoku

tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

^very nice knives. i haven't taken any recent pics, I'll see if i can snap a few.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
KNaB

Post by KNaB »

tonydahose wrote:^very nice knives. i haven't taken any recent pics, I'll see if i can snap a few.
Thanks. They are a joy to use and I'm proud to own them. Tim is a fantastic maker.
Hope you've been well. I drive up Damen every day on my way home from work and I always look to see if your sitting outside the house. Take care
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I have Spyderco K04 SE and PE, K05 SE, paring, Yang and two Gyutos: 8" Kanetsune VG10 Damascus and 7" no name with no name stainless, but it takes very good edge. Kanetsune is certainly is the best. My wife also favors Yang. I use quite frequently K04 PE and no name Gyuto.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

These are my main kitchen knives.

All carbon steel.

Fosters Bros chefs knife
Roselli HC chefs knife
2x Opinel paring knives

I have a few others that see occasional use. A couple Shun SG, Yin&Yang and a Super Blue Nakiri.

Ken
玉鋼
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have almost all of the original Spyderco "K0n" series Kitchen Sharps, as well as all the Seto VG-10 core Damascus ones they're currently selling. The K05 4.5" Utility and K08 Santoku are the two I most often use.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I love those Wright knives! That patina is beautiful too, it looks like a wild fire is rising up from the edge!

Here is the pic of my new Butakiri (with the Tuff lurking int he back)

It has a very light handle, and one that might get some revamping later down the road. The blade is very sharp (already drew some blood) and it has a nice weight to it. I like it and look forward to using it in the kitchen.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
Nate

Post by Nate »

Nothing too fancy, but these are all solid everyday users.

Robert Herder paring knife
Kanetsugu Pro M Gyuto 180mm
Tojiro Shirogami Utility 120mm

:spyder:
JD Spydo

F. Dick: A well kept secret culinary line

Post by JD Spydo »

I have a few pieces of culinary/kitchen cutlery from an old German company known as F. Dick>> I got to be familiar with them by buying some of their sharpening steels about 8 years ago from a local restaurant supply company. The F. Dick products are well known to restaurants, professional chefs and the meat cutting industries and few consumers here in the USA know much about them. But I'm here to tell you that the knives, steels and culinary equipment from F. Dick are a very well kept secret and all of their stuff I have is very high quality. I also have one of their professional meat cleavers and it's built like a New York skyscraper :eek:

There is also an online culinary/chefs/kitchen knife dealers that I've done some business with that I really like. He goes by the "Knife Merchant" and if you add a ".com" to that you can access his website. He has one of the best selections of high quality Japanese, German and USA made culinary knives of about anyone I've dealt with.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Finally got the whole gang together. Some tend to not get used much, and thus could use some love. Others are pampered and loved.

Spydernation #1990
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Most of my kitchen knives are mine...VG10, 12C27, and cast 440C...

The rest are Victorinox, Kasumi, and a Wilkinson Sword Chefs Knife in 440C...
Two William Rogers carbon steel butchers knives reground a tad...
bh49

Post by bh49 »

K04
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Man I really need a Yang. I can't stop wanting one at every turn.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote:Man I really need a Yang. I can't stop wanting one at every turn.
Landon,
Check ebay. I recently saw them at $60 BIN.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-KX06P- ... 4ad676f757
My wife loves it. IMHO this is good knife for this price, but will not beat K04 in my book. K04 is thinner, which is great for me, but my wife and son do not like flexing. Yang certainly looks better, but I needed to thin out the edge right away for knife to perform. K04 I am using as is. Anyway one more Spyderco on the kitchen will never hurt :)