Gun safe

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jalcon

Re: Gun safe

Post by jalcon »

All the "safes" you guys are talking about are really just residential storage containers (RSC). If you are going that route no reason to spend more than 1200-1500. They will be no better than 11 ga steel or so and are designed to keep a bad guy it for like 10 minutes tops. You are just paying for the automotive finish on the higher end $5000 liberty safes etc. If you want a real "safe" look into Sturdy Safes.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

jalcon wrote:All the "safes" you guys are talking about are really just residential storage containers (RSC). If you are going that route no reason to spend more than 1200-1500. They will be no better than 11 ga steel or so and are designed to keep a bad guy it for like 10 minutes tops. You are just paying for the automotive finish on the higher end $5000 liberty safes etc. If you want a real "safe" look into Sturdy Safes.
That is quite a unique construction on those.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
spspace

Post by spspace »

I think this is very interesting.

การป้องกันโรค
ThaddeusPairm

Post by ThaddeusPairm »

Hi there,

Did you found one?
I'm looking for a gun safe for some time now and can't make up my mind.

I mean I was looking through the net and read a bunch of reviews and didn't get smarter. It's like those reviews were written by people who have only read about gun safes.

I came across a different blog. The blogger is criticizing the brands. Maybe it's too much for my taste. Anyways I've read this top list and it got me thinking. More like I have a bunch of questions.

Which one would you pick? Do I really need to spend big bucks like over $1000 for a quality gun safe?

Any input is highly appreciated
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I purchased a gun safe from Sturdy Safe out of Fresno, California. My research took about a month before I cam to realize the Sturdy Safe was the best one to choose. The safe, which I bought in 2016; has performed flawlessly over the years. No buyers remorse here! :D
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ThaddeusPairm wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:33 am
Hi there,
I mean I was looking through the net and read a bunch of reviews and didn't get smarter. It's like those reviews were written by people who have only read about gun safes.

Which one would you pick? Do I really need to spend big bucks like over $1000 for a quality gun safe?

Any input is highly appreciated

How much you "need" to spend for a gun safe really depends on two things, capacity and what you expect from it.

Regarding capacity, for long guns a simple rule of thumb is to divide the maker's number by 3 (unless you're only going to store long guns and whatever can fit on a shelf above them, in which case you can multiply it by .65).

As for expectations, any decent quality safe will keep children and unauthorized guests out. They'll also keep the average burglar out, especially if used in conjunction with a good home alarm system. None will keep a professional thief out for long. Fire ratings are important, but keep in mind that no gun safe is water tight. So, no matter how good the fire rating, there's still no guarantee your guns will be in pristine condition after a fire. Another point to keep in mind is where the safe will be located. You can put a much heavier safe on the ground floor of a house built on a slab than on a wood floor with just beams under it. And a final point is to add a couple hundred dollars, at least, to the price of the safe when figuring its cost because unless you have some very strong friends and the right equipment, you'll want to opt for "inside" delivery.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!