AAA or smallest AA light...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DeathBySnooSnoo

AAA or smallest AA light...

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

that goes into high mode first? Any options there? I'd prefer it be on the cheaper side of things...so no customs or anything.

My sister has mentioned that she wants a light. She will only carry small, and the odds are that it will get lost. So any suggestions would be very helpful. I figure that going into high first is good just in case she needs to blind someone in self defense....

She is moving across the country from Ontario to B.C. so I thought it'd be nice to give her before she leaves.
On the hunt for...
M80

Post by M80 »

Prometheus Beta-QR or maybe a Maratac AAA
remnar

Post by remnar »

I have an Inova Xs on my key ring that comes on in the brightest setting first (53 lumens). It is not the brightest available light, but it was under $20 and I've been happy with it. Here's a pic.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hey 'Snoo,

Check out the Fenix E05. It takes one AAA and features 85 lumens on the highest level. I've had mine about a year and use it nearly all the time. It's very handy and only weighs only 0.4 oz. I think I paid about $25 or $30 for it, which isn't bad considering the quality and exceptional brightness from such a small light.

Here's some info from the Fenix website:

Smaller doesn’t mean weaker with this durable, long-reaching flashlight. E05 takes compact on the road with reliable Fenix performance under extreme conditions.

*Max 85 lumen output from one AAA battery
*Three brightness levels
*Twist switch
*Broad beam lens
*Limited Lifetime Guarantee from Fenix Lighting U.S.
*Size: 2.6" (Length) x 0.6" (Diameter)
*Weight: 0.4 ounce weight (excluding battery)
*Accessories: Key ring and spare O-ring
*Model #: E05E2BK

See more at: http://www.fenixlighting.com/products/f ... light.aspx
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Jax

Post by Jax »

Does the E05 come on in high? Or is it low,medium,high?
How about a maglite LED solitaire?
Always come on in high,cause its the only mode it has :)
But it's cheap ($10-$15) and 37 lumens ain't to bad for day to day use.
It's got a nice beam pattern and tint (not blue or greenish) due to it being a Luxeon c Led
Maybe you could find it in pink if she likes that color.
Small,cheap,bright and useful.
timlara

Post by timlara »

My favorite EDC AAA light is still the Arc-AAA. Its LED is a little outdated compared to the brightness of some of the newer offerings from Chinese manufacturers like Fenix, but it's plenty bright enough for its intended purpose as a keychain/purse light and the materials and machining quality are top notch. Another upside to the more conservative LED and circuitry used is that it runs FOREVER. I just used it the other day at work to illuminate a stairwell during a 4hr power outage, and it ran like a champ through the whole thing, no problem. Plus, I like that it's still made in the USA.

http://www.arcflashlight.com/arc-aaa.shtml
Tim
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Jax wrote:Does the E05 come on in high? Or is it low,medium,high?
How about a maglite LED solitaire?
Always come on in high,cause its the only mode it has :)
But it's cheap ($10-$15) and 37 lumens ain't to bad for day to day use.
It's got a nice beam pattern and tint (not blue or greenish) due to it being a Luxeon c Led
Maybe you could find it in pink if she likes that color.
Small,cheap,bright and useful.
Mine comes on at high and is actually brighter than my 3 D-cell Mag-Lite. It's a pretty sweet light for its size. The Fenix LD01 is another great light from what I hear.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Jax

Post by Jax »

Cool Spydernut!

Deathbysnoosnoo,I forgot to mention that the Solitaire Led will certainly blind someone like you mentioned.
It has a higher beam intensity than alot of lights twice it's power in lumens.
In fact it's the most intense blinding beam mentioned so far (unless the maratac mentioned is the new xpg-2 version)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

AAA's are very small but unless you go lithium battery none are going to temporarily disorient someone (more accurate than "blind"). Best small clicky for a single AA would probably be a Zebralight SC52. 280 lumens on an alkaline, 500 on a 14500. Should be 300-350 with an Energizer Lithium Ultimate disposable since those are about 1.7v instead of 1.0-1.2v under load. I think those are about $65.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

M80 wrote:Prometheus Beta-QR or maybe a Maratac AAA
Great lights, but neither comes on in high. The Beta cycles L-M-H with three twists and the Maratac (depending on version) either comes on in Low of Medium.

My favorite AAA is a Peak Eiger. While technically it ramps up as you tighten the head, giving it a full twist gets you there very quickly. Still, I wouldn't consider it "tactical"
Blerv wrote: Best small clicky for a single AA would probably be a Zebralight SC52.
+1 on this suggestion, Blake. And a single quick click comes on in high. A slower click comes on in low. Double click gives you Medium. I love having all three modes directly available from off. My favorite UI (at the moment.) ;)

Ken
玉鋼
araneae

Post by araneae »

Thrunite ti-s, only one mode with 60 lumens. At about 8 bucks it is almost disposable and mine has been very reliable.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yep Ken :D !

For a flashlight AFI I might suggest a Peak Eiger Ultra X without the QTC and a momentary switch. That's an easy to click 400ish lumens from a very small light. The Zebralight would be MUCH more useful and user friendly though, load it with Li primaries and never think twice about it :) . (Plus...runtime on high isn't 6 mins :p )
Jax

Post by Jax »

Hey Blerv,you never turned on a cheapo 5mm gas station flashlight and zapped your eyes so you saw dots,stars,and felt pain? :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Lol, I've been nauseated by the purple tint :) .

Well, anything will be bothersome if your eyes are fully adjusted to the pitch black. Most situations though there is some ambient lighting (streetlamps, signs, bounce, scatter, etc) so you need more than a diffused 10-30 lumens. Imo 200 lumens with decent lux (2000-5000) will mess with your adjusted vision for at least a head start or preemptive hit or five.
Jax

Post by Jax »

Lol, very true Blerv!
Good post :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Zebralight SC52 is pretty small, will give you 280 lumens from a NiMh AA, and takes a single click for high... or a longer click for low.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Thanks for the advice guys...I was thinking a keyhain type light because it is less likely to be lost if it is attached to her keys. And I was thinking that something around 100 lumens would probably be a temporary help to get away at least....but it is also useful as a light when needed.
On the hunt for...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

A Foursevens ML-X would be a great keychain light. Tiny, light, 250 lumens off a cr123. She would have to quickly cycle (two twist-counter twist) from low to go to high but that's easy. If you throw an IMR16340 in it I would expect 500 lumens (not suggested by Foursevens) for very short bursts on high. The prob is charging it of course.

The light on lithium primaries makes a great gift. On high it's dang bright and of the ones in consideration it won't weigh down a keychain like a 3" light.